Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default "AK47" gas tube fixed for legal hunting

I searched the fourm but found nothing on this idea. Would welding a small plate or plug into the gas tube work for modifying my wasr10 for hunting? I figured this way il have the orig gas tube for plinkin in semi auto and use the modded tube for hunting, plus it should meet the whole not easily switched to semi while hunting since I wil not have the other tube with me.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

And if you must ask why I would go thru this trouble to hunt with it?

Because I want to lol and the wasr would be a nice rifle where i hunt shots mostly under 150yds and some thick brush here and there, Oh and semi's probly wont be legal for a few years or never and who wants to wait for that lol
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Chester County)

Default Re: "AK47" gas tube fixed for legal hunting

How would this work, mechanically? The piston end passes through the gas tube (of course) and the end of the piston is buried into the gas block. The piston must pass completely through the gas tube, so you could not weld a plug into the plate.

Perhaps you could buy a 2nd/spare Bolt Carrier and remove/saw off the piston and install that AND the plugged gas tube (so exhaust gasses are safely vented)
    And then you would have a "manually actuated AK"

I think there is also a term in the law, no semi-autos or "readily modifiable" semi-auto type. You might get in a debate with the law over
    "readily modifiable". Check the PA State Game web site.

(Columbia County)

Yeah i just found a cut away and saw that so spare carrier would be a must along with the tube, and it wouldn't be "readily" modified if I didn't have the parts to do so. Thus it would put it in a grey area or at least one would think that. Personaly they would have a hard time proving it was semi with the modded parts on it. Also having about 20 miles between the orig pparts should take care of the readily converted part. Wouldn't it?

(Jefferson County)

If you are willing to, I personally would welded the port shut at the gas block and get a carrier that has the piston missing. That way there could be no argument of it being easily converted in the field.

There would be no way it'd operate in a semi-auto mode.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Columbia County)

I'd rather not do the gas port cuz in the off season il plink with it and its my main SHTF go to gun. I think I'll just do the chopped piston and welded tube and if they want to take it to court they are gonna have to prove its readily converted in the field without the parts and that should be rather entertaining lol, also i did not pgc website about having to not be readily converted

(York County)

Doesn't it suck to have to go to these measures just to hunt with a favorite firearm.
    Every day's a Saturday

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by toadyoforangeville View Post
    I'd rather not do the gas port cuz in the off season il plink with it and its my main SHTF go to gun. I think I'll just do the chopped piston and welded tube and if they want to take it to court they are gonna have to prove its readily converted in the field without the parts and that should be rather entertaining lol, also i did not pgc website about having to not be readily converted
    Let's go on that idea. But not welding it. Tap the gas block hole. And install a set screw. Voila. No gas. Which is removeable when you plink. (I do this and then drill them down the center to create a smaller orifice to regulate the amount of gas in an AK so they don't pound themselves apart. And you in the process)

I would still remove the gas piston from the carrier assembly. I would also consider not removing the gas tube itself. From a personal safety standpoint... I would want that gas tube on there. If something goes wrong that gas is all coming back at your face without it on there. If that set screw were to take flight with all the bullet pressure behind it... you might end up with a BB sized projectile moving in the direction of your face quickly enough to injure or kill you.

Aren't there magazine capacity requirements you have to meet as well?

And I may just be paranoid but I think you are probably still opening yourself for a good bit of grief if you are encountered using the AK as a hunting rifle.

I'd be interested if there was a definitive process for turning semi's into a legal firearm for hunting in PA. Or if it's still going to get you jammed up no matter what you do.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; July 19th, 2011 at 06:03 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    Doesn't it suck to have to go to these measures just to hunt with a favorite firearm.
    Yes. Yes it does. It's rediculous.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Let's go on that idea. But not welding it. Tap the gas block hole. And install a set screw. Voila. No gas. Which is removeable when you plink. (I do this and then drill them down the center to create a smaller orifice to regulate the amount of gas in an AK so they don't pound themselves apart. And you in the process)

I would still remove the gas piston from the carrier assembly. I would also consider not removing the gas tube itself. From a personal safety standpoint... I would want that gas tube on there. If something goes wrong that gas is all coming back at your face without it on there. If that set screw were to take flight with all the bullet pressure behind it... you might end up with a BB sized projectile moving in the direction of your face quickly enough to injure or kill you.

Aren't there magazine capacity requirements you have to meet as well?

And I may just be paranoid but I think you are probably still opening yourself for a good bit of grief if you are encountered using the AK as a huntin

I'd be interested if there was a definitive process for turning semi's into a legal firearm for hunting in PA. Or if it's still going to get you jammed up no matter what you do.
    I would use a spare gas tube just with a plugged end and a different bolt carrier with about 3" chopped off the piston it would work like the screw by stopping all gas from operating the rifle without the possibility of the screw comming loose due to vibrations during firing. And after hunting i could swap tubes and bolt carriers and return it to semi auto

(Columbia County)

And an added bonus of another 100fps or so since that power isnt being bled off to operate the action yay me lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast