Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Washington County)

Default Re: "AK47" gas tube fixed for legal hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Problem is, you aren't asking about law per say, you are asking about game regulations.

Like the ATF, regulations are open to interpretation. While it may be legal, you may end up with a legal battle. YMMV. And I would call it a fairly safe wager to say that every GCO that passes you by will be giving you the rundown and call in.
    No he is asking about law not regualtion. Titile 34 is law. Title 58 is regulation.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    A few yrs back I ask a WCO about this subject except it was an SKS with the gas piston removed rendering it basically a straight pull bolt action. What he told me was it would still be considered a semi auto firearm only it would be a malfunctioning semi auto. Cant recall the exact words but basically its still considered "auto loading" because of the bolt being activated by the recoil spring is actually loading a round into the chamber not by the operator as in a true bolt action. Easy way to find out if its legal or not is to call the Game Comm.
    Thanks all

(Lancaster County)

The same amount of effort could be spent getting the law changed to allow semi auto for hunting so you don't have to do this butchering in the first place.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Monroe County)

It can't be easily converted back and forth, so just "removing the parts" does not mean you won't get hit for it being an illegal rifle as you could have easily removed them and thrown them when you saw the warden approaching

so you need to permanently render it into a manual. I think someone was on here talking about to to do this to an SKS a while back?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Blair County)

There was a local guy around here who got a beater chi-com SKS from the days when they were dirt cheap. What he did was weld the hole in barrel and removed the gas piston.

He then talked to the local WCO and the WCO said that in that case it would be a manually operated gun, but expect to be stopped and questioned in the field.

So....that's the whole story that I know
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Lackawanna County)

Ok new to this post
    a few yrs back, me and a buddy decided to take an ar 15 deer hunting, we had teh rifle modified to only fire, and not cycle a second round, making the rifle, This a single shot rifle, that had to me manually loaded, as per say fo state game law on weapon use
    we were stopped by a local warden, he was all in a fuss about, we were less than a few miles from a state rifle range, had us go there and prove to him how the gun worked
    we agreed no probelm, shot the rifle, and it would only fire one round, then you had to work the action to fire a second
    also we had 5 round mag, , even though there is no mag laws, or forget, if it was a max of 10 rounds, either way, we had it legal, proved it to the game warden, and used all season

NOW, he could have cited us, and if we went to court we would have won, for same reason he didn't cite us, as it was a weapon that fit leagal quota of there law!
    But it would have costs us time and money to do it, we did it to prove a point to a person, and were willing to go teh extra mile even if at our own cost
    i don't recommend it to others without pointing out the draw backs
    Most law enforcement officers don't know laws, they enforch what they (to a point) feel is the correct thing to do, based on training, but ther are not lawyer, and as such, can make mistakes, that cost you
    be for warned, and know the facts before hand, will save you in the long run!

(Columbia County)

Yea thread from the dead lol but ive thot of another question... Ive cut the gas piston off cuz mine was welded not rivited, thanks centry, anywho my question now is: with the vents around the gas tube/gas block would that bleed off gas too slowly since its not goin down the tube and only has those few small holes to escape?
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Columbia County)

Never mind I fired 30 rounds today ant it ran just fine now I just gotta sight it in
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Schuylkill County)

Resurrection...again. I have read the thread but wanted to see if there was any new info. I bought a Yugo SKS and thought that if I closed the gas port and put it into "grenade mode" and then left the piston at home, would that be legal? I know that it is a grey area but I would much sooner hunt for deer with a 7.62 as compared to a 25-06. I am sure the 25-06 is capable, but I would much rather a bigger round. Thoughts...again?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123