Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Hey Guys, New with some questions

Hey guys and gals,

I have been lurking here for a few weeks now trying to predict the outcome of my recent LTCF application with the Delaware County Sheriff's Office and have come across a question I have not seen an answer to yet.

Ok. So there is a SLIGHT possibility there may be a 302 on my record. When I was 14 I had trouble dealing with the passing of a close friend and reached out for help from an LEO as my parents refused. I do remember though there being handcuffs involved? I told him I wanted to get help and he slapped them right on. I do not remember if this was a 302 or not. So, here is the real question, if this was in fact a 302 how can they gain access to those records without my consent? I would figure HIPPA would kick in there big time and they would have not have access to those medical records? I'm not sure though how that works. If there is a 302 on file how would one go about getting that expunged? Being a stupid teenager and a responsible adult are two totally different things in my mind..

Question 2: Is the PICS system done only over the phone? When I dropped off my app the girl at the counter typed in a lot of my info and then said "when your approval comes in, in the next 45-50 days we will call you." It sounded like she already ran the check? I didn't think they did that.

Sorry for such a long post and thanks for any input you may or may not be able to give!
    Mike

Default Re: Hey Guys, New with some questions

I just picked up my LTCF today (well, Monday). I'm new to PA, and I'm about to fall over I'm so tired, but what I can tell you is that they don't call you when the background check is complete. If/when you are approved, you'll recieve a letter telling you that you have 30 days to come pick it up in person. It took me about 3 weeks...not a bad turn around time at all.

(Beaver County)

Call your courthouse and get your criminal record. You should know about such things anyway don't you think? Also pretty much everything on a Juve record can be expunged or sealed with a good lawyer (which I am not). Maybe Gunlawyer will chime in with the best first steps for you. If not... yellowpages.

Good luck.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the insights so far guys. I have performed many background checks on myself and I do not have a criminal record of any sorts. I'm more concerned with the 302 issue. Still haven't found out how they gain access to those records....

(Delaware County)

I don't think a 302 would show up on a criminal background check. Were you taken to a hospital? If so maybe you can get the info from them.

Welcome to the forum and I suggest you spend some quality time with your computer and read as much as you can about firearm ownership, paying particular attention to firearm laws.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I don't think a 302 would show up on a criminal background check. Were you taken to a hospital? If so maybe you can get the info from them.

Welcome to the forum and I suggest you spend some quality time with your computer and read as much as you can about firearm ownership, paying particular attention to firearm laws.
    If he was 302'd he's specifically prohibited from owning a firearm or having an LTCF. If he signed something, he probably was a 201. I don't think either will show up on a criminal background check, but if you were 302'd, they will have access to that because it's a statutory requirement for the LTCF. Mind you, I'm not a lawyer, and if you do get denied you should find one.

The reason it's taking so long? Because the sheriff can. Statute says 45 days, and some sheriffs take up to 60 because they say it's 45 "working days". Also, if you do get denied, make sure they tell you why, because they must.

Welcome to the forums, good luck.

(Delaware County)

Is there any way to get a PICS done without an obligation to purchase a firearm?

(Delaware County)

Well, I didn't go with the Ruger today. I ended up purchasing a Walther P99...am I not mistaken by saying that the PICS then does not show anything from the past? Should I be clear and set to go with the LTCF?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DelcoRuger View Post
    Well, I didn't go with the Ruger today. I ended up purchasing a Walther P99...am I not mistaken by saying that the PICS then does not show anything from the past? Should I be clear and set to go with the LTCF?
    I am by no means an expert on this matter. From what I gathered from your post, you weren't sure if you were 302'ed. If you were you would have been denied when trying to buy a gun. So it stands to reason that you were not 302'ed. I think you will be approved for your LTCF if the incident you mentioned is the only thing that was on your "record".
    Good luck and let us know the outcome.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Verdict is in! I will go pick up my license tomorrow afternoon....and all said in done in less than 30 days...I applied on the 18th of July and the letter is dated 8/16...not too bad!

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast