Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default comfort/concealment vs. access/speed

Hello everyone. I have been carrying my Sig P232 in a Galco Tuck n Go (second amendement series) IWB holster. I am new to carrying, and I have some observations and questions that I'd like to share.

It seems that the places on my belt which give the quickest access to my Sig (3 o'clock, 4 o'clock) strong side are the most uncomfortable positions for me to carry. At 3 o'clock strong side, the hammer and slide dig into my side badly when I am seated. At 4 o'clock, I cannot sit back in a chair. Both of these positions also print the most, as the heel of the handle can be seen through the shirt if I twist to the left.
    I have found, through a lot of experimenting, that cross draw (9 o'clock) is the most comfortable place to carry (the hammer/slide do not dig into me), and it conceals my Sig P232 the best. Printing really is minimal in this cross draw position.
    Herein lies the problem! Cross draw is the 'slowest' draw of these options. The only time this is 'faster' is when I am seated in a car. The conventional strong-side methods for me are, while being the quickest and most natural draw, the most uncomfortable and the 'least' concealed.
    Is Cross Draw at 9 o'clock still the inferior option here, considering all of these aspects? With this method, the gun is concealed without printing, and is very comfortable.
    Are there any tips or bits of wisdom from experienced members here about a cross draw carry?
    Thank you in advance.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: comfort/concealment vs. access/speed

I don't think draw speed is really a factor, the difference between positions is only fractions of a second.

Other considerations, I don't like weak side, butt foward holsters as I feel it presents the BG an easy grip. I think you are talking CC, but printing / coat falling open happens. Thug sees the opportunity and it's positioned for his strong hand. (I have no stats, studies, or instances of this happening, just my concerns, valid or not.)

That said, you carry more than you draw. Carry how you feel confortable both physically and mentally.
    Last edited by Sparks; July 14th, 2011 at 10:40 AM.

(Blair County)

Access is more important than comfort IMO. Reason being in a stressful situation the less convenient it is to draw your firearm the more difficult it's going to be to draw it under pressure. If you carry it in the 'uncomfortable' positions long enough you may become accustomed to it enough that it won't bother you. It may or may not it's just something to think about and possibly try.

As far as crossdraw...I don't think that makes much difference either way. I prefer not to have to crossdraw but I would say that's more of a personal preference than anything as long as you have easy access to the firearm in the crossdraw position.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I don't think draw speed is really a factor, the difference between positions is only fractions of a second.
    In a life threatening situation, which should be the scenario when deadly force is used, fractions of a second can be difference between life and death. I understand what you are trying to say but it's more than likely in your best interest to have the best access and quickest draw possible. Personally I don't OC but that is one of the main advantages of OC...excellent access to your weapon. It is a major advantage.

That said, you carry more than you draw. Carry how you feel confortable both physically and mentally.
    I don't agree with that statement. Just because you carry more than you draw doesn't automatically mean comfort takes priority over access to your weapon. If you can't access your weapon quickly enough in the moment of need all that comfort goes right out the window real quick...

At the end of the day it's a personal decision but that's just my 2 cents
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Hello everyone. I have been carrying my Sig P232 in a Galco Tuck n Go (second amendement series) IWB holster. I am new to carrying, and I have some observations and questions that I'd like to share.

It seems that the places on my belt which give the quickest access to my Sig (3 o'clock, 4 o'clock) strong side are the most uncomfortable positions for me to carry. At 3 o'clock strong side, the hammer and slide dig into my side badly when I am seated. At 4 o'clock, I cannot sit back in a chair. Both of these positions also print the most, as the heel of the handle can be seen through the shirt if I twist to the left.
    I have found, through a lot of experimenting, that cross draw (9 o'clock) is the most comfortable place to carry (the hammer/slide do not dig into me), and it conceals my Sig P232 the best. Printing really is minimal in this cross draw position.
    Herein lies the problem! Cross draw is the 'slowest' draw of these options. The only time this is 'faster' is when I am seated in a car. The conventional strong-side methods for me are, while being the quickest and most natural draw, the most uncomfortable and the 'least' concealed.
    Is Cross Draw at 9 o'clock still the inferior option here, considering all of these aspects? With this method, the gun is concealed without printing, and is very comfortable.
    Are there any tips or bits of wisdom from experienced members here about a cross draw carry?
    Thank you in advance.
    This may seem too simple - but I would invest in a new holster. The DeSantis Sof-Tuk is a good, cheap, comparable holster but it allows you to rotate the angle at which you carry. It may take care of the slide and hammer digging into your side. A more expensive, but good, option would be the crossbreed. The leather comes up high enough so the same shouldn't happen.

(Cumberland County)

The post above hit on this, I'll expound a little. The holster your using now (I also have one) is what's called a straight drop, meaning it has no angle, the top of the holster sits parallel with your belt. A holster with forward cant would help push the hammer forward, keeping it from digging into you. Also, a holster with a sweat shield would do wonders, it would totally shield the gun from your body.

I'll try to show you an example of forward cant versus straight drop/no cant. The first Holster is a High Noon Bare Asset, and has 15° of forward cant. The second is a Galco Stow and Go, which has no cant, and is very similar to your holster.

Check out the High Noon holster here;

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/13...e-quality.html
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Quality holster and quality gun belt are step number one. After that, practice drawing from the holster and from concealment, do it alot, so that you have it down for when you really need it some day. Of course, make sure the gun is unloaded while doing this. Also, make sure you have your finger indexed along the slide and not going into the trigger guard and on the trigger until you're on "target". Practice this way so you don't have a negligent discharge when you're doing it with live ammo at the range, or god forbid, an actual self defense situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Delaware County)

I was always taught that cross draw was not good way to carry, gives you less of a target when drawing your gun (side to side) whereas regular draw gives you toe to head as a target while drawing the gun.

As for the hammer digging in your side you need a different holster. I have several Blade Tech IWB holsters and the body side of the holster is longer than the draw side to keep the gun off of your body.

As for comfort and printing, I'm a large guy around the waist, comfort took a while but I have become use to the gun being there, feels strange when it's not. I always buy the "tall" version of shirts when available for extra tail to tuck and then pull out a little may not look neat but printing is nearly non existent this way.

SP101 .357 magnum, 2.25 barrel with hammer.

Thank you to everyone for the extensive education on holsters. I'm glad that I can learn from all of the excellent experience from different members here.

I'm thinking a different holster will alleviate the problem. The Desantis line looks nice while being affordable.

I ussually wear a polo shirt untucked--would a belt holster, worn high and canted, be just as concealable if the shirt is placed over the gun?

Thanks again.

(Dauphin County)

I am also following in this discussion further as it is helping me make a decision on what type of holster I would prefer to carry. I had never heard of the DeSantis until this thread and it seems like a very feasible price for a well constructed idea of a holster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast