Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 for CC?

(Adams County)

Default .45 for CC?

I am looking to switch my carry piece from 9mm to .45. Right now I CC a Kahr CW9 in a Don Hume IWB holster. I'm not worried about staying with IWB as long as I can conceal. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Of course price is an issue. I'm hoping to trade my Kahr or my RIA 1911A1 for something. Thanks.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .45 for CC?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I am looking to switch my carry piece from 9mm to .45. Right now I CC a Kahr CW9 in a Don Hume IWB holster. I'm not worried about staying with IWB as long as I can conceal. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Of course price is an issue. I'm hoping to trade my Kahr or my RIA 1911A1 for something. Thanks.
    I carry a Glock 30 on an inside the IWB holster when I want to conceal a 45 auto. It works well for me and I picked up a used one in really great shape for 400.00. Very reliable.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdjs View Post
    I carry a Glock 30 on an inside the IWB holster when I want to conceal a 45 auto. It works well for me and I picked up a used one in really great shape for 400.00. Very reliable.
    The Glock 30 is pretty awesome. Just be aware it's a double stacked mag and will be noticeably thicker than the Kahr. The Glock 36 is another option...it's a single stack and a little thinner than the 30.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Pike County)

Taurus PT745C, 6+1, 20.5 oz empty. Cost should not kill ya.

(Berks County)

Para Hawg...

Kimber UCII is my favorite carry gun. Its has only a 3in barrell but if you do decide to carrry a full size. The great thing about a 1911 is the barrell length does not add to the bulk of concealment.

1911 all the way !!!!!!!
    Tantric Shooting Team

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

+1

Springfield Operator 5" 1911 3 seasons a year :-D
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Cumberland County)

I carry a G30.

G30 or G36. 1911's are great, but you'll have to retrain yourself to click off a safety, as you're probably not used to that owning a Kahr. If you have no issue retraining to click off the safety while drawing, then there are a lot of 4" or 3" 1911 options.

I've carried my 5"1911, but it was too heavy. Plus, I prefer no safety, which is why I love the G30. They managed to cram 11 round into such a little thing. It's thick though. That's not a big deal though. There's the G36, but you're limited to 7 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Why are you looking to change? There is virtually no difference in the performance of top 9mm and .45 ammo.

If you just want something new and want to spend money, by all means, but don't do so with the illusion you'll be "better protected." As the above chart clearly shows, all these caliber wars are a waste of breath. Any given common self defense caliber is comparable to any other common self defense caliber. If there is any difference in performance, it's due to the ammunition, not the caliber.

Have you checked out the subcompact Kahr .45 caliber models?
    Last edited by Valorius; July 18th, 2011 at 09:53 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Stoneybrook Shooting Supplies (east York) had a used Sig 245 a few months ago for around $550 ish. The 245 is now known as the 220 Carry.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast