Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Barrel shortening. (psl)

Kevin Johnson is da' man! Just over in Monroeville, too!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Barrel shortening. (psl)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    give Charlie at precision armements a call. By trade he is a machinist and runs the shop after work. he is great with ak's and the like. i"ve seen some custom work from him that was fantastic. He should be able to cut that down for you or answer any question you may have about doing so.

http://www.precisionarmaments.com/
    They are on the other side of the state. But I guess if I have to ship a rifle off, that's closer than shipping it somewhere out of state. I'll see what they want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Kevin Johnson is da' man! Just over in Monroeville, too!
    He looks like an AR only guy. Per his site, everything is AR 15 or AR 10. Even his smithing services. Since barrels don't just pop out of a PSL - I think this guy, is not going to be my guy. He also states he is so back logged with shop work he's not answering phone calls right now.

(Allegheny County)

it's not like it's an SVD, as you say. any competent smith should be able to do the work for you. just ask them up front if they can do it and then ask a few questions. there really aren't that many real smith's around this area anyway.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Allegheny County)

It looks like Adco might be capable of this job too. They want about $140 to do a cut/crown/thread job on a barreled action of a bolt gun. So maybe a little more to do the PSL?

I guess I'll see what they say.

they don't have to remove your barrel to cut it. they usually just cut it with a hacksaw and then ream it to put a crown on it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    the reliability won't be affected, the PSL is a notoriously overgassed rifle. the rifle usually benefits from shortening if a professional job is done. the barrel of the PSL is long and way too thin for it's intended role and barrel whip is a known problem. the groups usually begin to string vertically when the barrel starts to warm up and accuracy goes away after a certain number of rounds, right?

look over this place, rifle dynamics, they have a very nice package for the PSL and similar rifles called the guerrilla sniper job.

http://www.rifledynamics.com/services/gsr.php
    Revival-edge.

Does anyone actually know what most of what they do entails?
    They say they true up a lot of stuff, and re-head space etc.

Is all of this smoke an mirrors? Or does anyone think there is actually a benefit to doing all of the things they list if it's already a decent shooter?

PSL Upgrade Package: $450.00

Shorten barrel to 19"
    Cut 11 degree target crown
    Re-thread barrel
    Uncant sights/gas block [nothing is canted]
    Mod rear sight
    Correct breach face
    Correct bolt face
    True/fit bolt carrier/locking lugs
    Re-headspace and pin barrel to proper spec
    Fit and adjust RSA trigger group [already worked out the stock FCG]
    Fit/smooth safety [already did]
    Fit Mag catch [mine is fine]
    Deburr, trigger guard, charging handle, mag catch anything else needed [not needed]
    Install bi-pod swivel
    Sandblast and parkerize all metal parts [finish is already good]
    25yrd zero on Iron sights [mine were absolutely dead nuts 'ON' out of the box]
    Extras

Norrells Moly Resin over park: $100.00
    Red Star Arms trigger group: $85.00
    Aftermarket wood and Poly stocks available starting at $180.00

I already worked on the factory trigger and it's head's over tails better than your average AK trigger. Or even a G2 IMO as it has a clearly defined break. It looks like most of the services are geared to de-turd, shitty PSL's. I'd like to take advantage of their cut and crown, thread, muzzle brake, and all the 'truing up services if they are warranted. But it seems like 40% of the services included in their package - I don't need.

This is why I wondered if I should just send it out to be cut / crowned / threaded. But am I missing out on things here that have real value?

I'm also considering changing the stock out for a traditional AK stock / pistol grip configuration as well. I didn't like the poly stock at all, so it will likely be a wood traditional stock with a simple rubber pad and I'll get my own cheek piece fitted. I have already added the hole for the pistol grip when I fitted the poly stock to the gun. I could easily turn that into a square for the AK PG nut. Although I might improvise something there too. (Notch the stock, reshape the PG nut, and have the stock "hold" the square remainder of the PG nut in a groove.) I also realize I will have "hang out" on a traditional stock due to the angle cut receiver of the PSL. I've already worked out an idea to clean up that area in my head, so it doesn't look like butthole.

I was thinking of picking up a Mosin carbine to fool with but it's kinda stupid to invest money into scoping one when I have a PSL here with an in spec scope rail and optic already on it. (And it's 10+1 semi-auto)

Having completed one of my other projects I'm back looking at this again. So if I could drag some of you guys back in here to further analyze this I would appreciate it.

(Westmoreland County)

Why dont you call and ask what they would charge to just cut /crown and re thread the barrel to the length you spec. if you send them your stripped barrel .And you may also need to have either the FSB opened up bigger or the barrel turned down to the old dia. in that area.

(Lancaster County)

Be sure to put a suppressor mount on it.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Why dont you call and ask what they would charge to just cut /crown and re thread the barrel to the length you spec. if you send them your stripped barrel .And you may also need to have either the FSB opened up bigger or the barrel turned down to the old dia. in that area.
    I do not have the means to remove the barrel. So that's not an option.

Good point about the FSB. I'll have to take a closer look at that to see if its going to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    it's not like it's an SVD, .

More to come on this.
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast