Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Vermont, A tax for non firearm owners

http://www.patriotactionnetwork.com/...-make-your-day

"Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as well as Vermont 's own Constitution very carefully, and his strict interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state. Thus Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear mandate to do so. He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the
    Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by the government as well as criminals. Vermont 's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent.."

Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise."

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and driver's license number with the state. "There is a legitimate government interest in knowing who is not prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do so," Maslack says.
    Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state ... it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit.
    This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation.

" America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the b*******."

This makes sense! There is no reason why gun owners should have to pay taxes to support police protection for people not wanting to own guns.
    Let them contribute their fair share and pay their own way.
    Sounds reasonable to me! Non-gun owners require more police to protect them and this fee should go to paying for their defense!"
    I't ain't braggin if you can do it !

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Vermont, A tax for non firearm owners

I completely agree. Pacifists mooch off of everyone else for protection then smear us for taking care of ourselves and try to take away our ability to do so.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    I completely agree. Pacifists mooch off of everyone else for protection then smear us for taking care of ourselves and try to take away our ability to do so.
    Please don't lump all pacifists among the same ilk that would take rights away.

The Amish and Mennonites are not trying to take guns away from anyone.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Luzerne County)

that's awesome!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Please don't lump all pacifists among the same ilk that would take rights away.

The Amish and Mennonites are not trying to take guns away from anyone.
    Hmm...quite true. I suppose I should just say sheeple, but I was trying to capture the fact that the sheeple often do so on a false moralistic basis, which should be brought to their attention that it's in fact quite immoral.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; July 18th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

This is an old article. Either way, I disagree with it. Nobody should be forced to exercise a right. Absolutely ridiculous.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Adams County)

While I love the idea in principle because of who gets singled out, I hate the idea that the state is keeping books on and charging fines to people for any reason.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    This is an old article. Either way, I disagree with it. Nobody should be forced to exercise a right. Absolutely ridiculous.
    some cantons in switzerland have compulsory voting. if you dont show up to vote they come to get you.

what bothers me is that is a de facto registration of gun owners. if you have a list of everyone who doesnt own a gun then if a person isnt on the list he must have a gun.
    Last edited by PaBimmerGuy; July 18th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

(Bucks County)

I don't think the bill was ever meant to pass, but rather make a political statement. Personally I would not support such a bill. Forcing people to own guns is just as bad as confiscating guns IMO. There is nothing in the second amendment that "mandates" gun ownership:

Quote Originally Posted by US Constitution
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    We have a right to free speech, but we also have a right to remain silent. Likewise, we have the right to arm ourselves, and the right not to. That's the whole idea behind America; individuals making their own decisions.

That being said, I would support a bill making all gun-related purchases tax-free and tax-deductible, as we are contributing to the sovereignty of the state with every purchase.

(Northampton County)

Vermont is the only state that does not require a permit to carry a concealed weapon? That's news to me. Because that was not true yesterday.

How would one avoid registering and paying the tax? I guess you would have to provide evidence that you own a gun? Something that can be documented?

Big dumb nonsense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast