Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Good LEO encounter - First time pulled over with guns

The setting, My car. Which has a semi-auto shotgun, MP15-22 rifle, 22 pistol, 45 on my hip concealed, and a compound bow. Arrows and ammo cans full of ammo for all the guns. My range bag and eyes and ear protection sitting out on the passenger seat.. USPSA targets, paper targets and shot up targets. Yes my car is a mess. But I like to be prepared for whatever type of shooting I might do on a weekend ..

Getting off the turnpike I went to merge and as I was going into the next lane a car came into my view from my blind spot. Same time they hit the horn.. I never crossed the line, but I know I was close and would of scared anyone.. My luck, it was a cop. So I merged, he pulled over and then got behind me and pulled me over.

I pulled over at a safe spot. Thinking back now, not sure I should of did this, but my wallet was in the ammo box. So I had to reach over and unlock and grab it out of that. Got my drivers license; registration and insurance was in the visor. I kept my seat belt on the whole time. A cop tried to get me for that once before cause as soon as I pulled over i removed the belt and he questioned if i ever had it on.

He looked over my stuff. Informed me what Yield means, Asked if the address was correct and where I was heading.. I answered everything. Nothing about the "weapons" in the car ever came up. I never even got my LTCF out of my wallet or said anything. Total time for the stop was maybe 3mins. Got to work with plenty of time to spare

I will shutup now and get a lawyer..

Default Re: Good LEO encounter - First time pulled over with guns

You probably realize this now, but don't keep your wallet in your gun gear.

If you had ran into the wrong asshat cop, you could very well be dead right now because of that little foo pah.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    The setting, My car. Which has a semi-auto shotgun, MP15-22 rifle, 22 pistol, 45 on my hip concealed, and a compound bow. Arrows and ammo cans full of ammo for all the guns. My range bag and eyes and ear protection sitting out on the passenger seat.. USPSA targets, paper targets and shot up targets. Yes my car is a mess. But I like to be prepared for whatever type of shooting I might do on a weekend ..

Getting off the turnpike I went to merge and as I was going into the next lane a car came into my view from my blind spot. Same time they hit the horn.. I never crossed the line, but I know I was close and would of scared anyone.. My luck, it was a cop. So I merged, he pulled over and then got behind me and pulled me over.

I pulled over at a safe spot. Thinking back now, not sure I should of did this, but my wallet was in the ammo box. So I had to reach over and unlock and grab it out of that. Got my drivers license; registration and insurance was in the visor. I kept my seat belt on the whole time. A cop tried to get me for that once before cause as soon as I pulled over i removed the belt and he questioned if i ever had it on.

He looked over my stuff. Informed me what Yield means, Asked if the address was correct and where I was heading.. I answered everything. Nothing about the "weapons" in the car ever came up. I never even got my LTCF out of my wallet or said anything. Total time for the stop was maybe 3mins. Got to work with plenty of time to spare

I will shutup now and get a lawyer..
    Next time, Yield. Nothing pisses me off more than people who think Yield means the people on the highway should move out of their way...
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    You probably realize this now, but don't keep your wallet in your gun gear.

If you had ran into the wrong asshat cop, you could very well be dead right now because of that little foo pah.
    Definitely!

It also makes cops nervous if they see you rummaging around before they get to your window. Best bet is to pull over, unzip your window a couple inches and keep your hands on the wheel unless they say otherwise. And at night, turn on the interior lights.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Lancaster County)

If you ask me, he never should have pulled you over in the first place. But you didn't ask me. But still.

Quote Originally Posted by kolonial72 View Post
    If you ask me, he never should have pulled you over in the first place. But you didn't ask me. But still.
    WTF? He failed to yield at a Yield sign. How is that not a blatant traffic violation?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    WTF? He failed to yield at a Yield sign. How is that not a blatant traffic violation?
    Did you notice the fact that he never actually got into the other lane until it was clear?

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Did you notice the fact that he never actually got into the other lane until it was clear?
    There are other violations that could apply, I think this one fits. Failure to check your blind spot is certainly careless imo. Regardless of what charge fits, I have no problem with the stop.
    § 3714. Careless driving.
    (a) General rule.--Any person who drives a vehicle in
    careless disregard for the safety of persons or property is
    guilty of careless driving, a summary offense.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    There are other violations that could apply, I think this one fits. Failure to check your blind spot is certainly careless imo. Regardless of what charge fits, I have no problem with the stop.
    So? By my reading of the OP he didn't get a ticket, it appears instead that the stop was done simply to lecture him about yielding.

I'm betting the horn honk did just about the same amount of good. Frankly, I don't think it was wrong, legally speaking, for the cop to pull over the OP, but I just don't see why he decided to waste the OP's time.

That's my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    So? By my reading of the OP he didn't get a ticket, it appears instead that the stop was done simply to lecture him about yielding.

I'm betting the horn honk did just about the same amount of good. Frankly, I don't think it was wrong, legally speaking, for the cop to pull over the OP, but I just don't see why he decided to waste the OP's time.

That's my take on it.
    Probably just to show the OP who was boss, that's all. But yes I agree with you. Most people blatantly ignore Yield signs on highways. I see it all the time and it pisses me off (and has almost got me killed). And for those wondering, yes I do move over for people merging if I can safely do so. The OP almost caused an accident and the police officer wanted to give him a lecture, maybe he needed one? My main point is (and we're in agreement on this) is that there was, imo, nothing wrong with the cop pulling the OP over.
    (c) Duties at yield signs.--The driver of a vehicle
    approaching a yield sign shall in obedience to the sign slow
    down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if
    required for safety to stop, shall stop before entering a
    crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then
    at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver
    has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway
    before entering. After slowing down or stopping, the driver
    shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle in the intersection
    or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute a
    hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the
    intersection of roadways. If a driver is involved in a collision
    with a vehicle in the intersection or junction of roadways after
    driving past a yield sign, the collision shall be deemed prima
    facie evidence of failure of the driver to yield the right-of-
    way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast