Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: AK-47 -or- M4 carbine?

I'm an AK fan because it works for my intended purposes. They are capable of head shots at one hundred, upper chest at two and upper body at three hundred yards. If I want accuracy I go for a 308 bolt gun.

Given your looking for target shooting on 155 acres you would want an AR. You can just do so much to squeeze accuracy out of it that an AK will not make you happy. However, the above AK accuracy is with a Sagia which you can get for five hundred. An AR that is printing a six inch group at five hundred as stated above is going to cost considerable more. Enough so that you could probably get a Saiga AK and a .308 bolt gun to have fun with.

Quote Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
    People talk about the ak accuracy but on sons of guns next week he is building a 1k yard AK! prolly gonna be expensive as hell tho.
    I gather they are rechambering the barrel to something like 6mmBR or 6.5Grendel/.264-LBC. Sons of Guns is the 'Pimp my ride' of firearms show. It'd be awesome Discovery followed a respectable company out there, like GA Precision, Longrifles Inc, KMW, or Tactical Rifles but, I'm sure the show would be boring because these places don't do stupid bullshit like link 4 AR-15s together and get all excited when they are told what a Mk19 is capable or whatever they do on that hack-job show. It would be cool if they were given a criteria for a build and had to compete against other shops...like 5 shops have to accurize an AK to the best of their ability while retaining the 7.62x39 chambering or something.

Anyhow, back to the thread at hand...

A good midlength BCM will make you very happy, especially if you decide you want to shoot practical rifle or 3-gun matches with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    I'm an AK fan because it works for my intended purposes. They are capable of head shots at one hundred, upper chest at two and upper body at three hundred yards. If I want accuracy I go for a 308 bolt gun.

Given your looking for target shooting on 155 acres you would want an AR. You can just do so much to squeeze accuracy out of it that an AK will not make you happy. However, the above AK accuracy is with a Sagia which you can get for five hundred. An AR that is printing a six inch group at five hundred as stated above is going to cost considerable more. Enough so that you could probably get a Saiga AK and a .308 bolt gun to have fun with.
    My choice too would be an ak, for fun and a bolt gun for target shooting. Id be a little reluctant to strap a 1200$ AR with another 500$+ of optics or accessories to the rack on my quad....I wouldnt hesitate to strap my AK down.
    Id probably try to find some decent 500$ AK and A nice tactical Savage .308 for another 500$ Put optics on it and you still probably spent less then you would have on the AR.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd get both!

Because with the price of an AR ($1,200) and optics ($300-$500) you could get both a nice Chinese Norinco AK and a M4!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    The AR-15
    That wasn't one of the choices, silly. Pay attention!

Note: I only posted that non-thread helper because the things I was going to say have pretty much already been said. I have a M4gery from BCM with irons only, and even with my poor skills I can get 4-5 MOA groups. But I've shot an AK - more specifically, an SKS - and it was a freakin' blast. Also, I'd second the LR 308 idea. That looks like fun!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by kolonial72 View Post

Note: I only posted that non-thread helper because the things I was going to say have pretty much already been said. I have a M4gery from BCM with irons only, and even with my poor skills I can get 4-5 MOA groups. But I've shot an AK - more specifically, an SKS - and it was a freakin' blast. Also, I'd second the LR 308 idea. That looks like fun!
    M4's like M16s are both AR-15 variants with different barrel lengths and stocks, or am I mistaken?

Technicially the M4 is the Colt model carbine which is also select-fire and not availible for civilian ownership, with few exceptions.
    Last edited by ByblosHex; July 19th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    When these gunsmiths were speaking to you, were there alot of RRA's behind them?
    Nope only one on the shelf...There were a lot of cheaper Colts, S&W, and Bushmasters on the shelf. The RRA is better made I have handled all of the above mentioned and the RRA shoots better out of the box than any of those 3.
    I want a French Lebel Never shot only dropped once.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    M4's like M16s are both AR-15 variants with different barrel lengths and stocks, or am I mistaken?

Technicially the M4 is the Colt model carbine which is also select-fire and not availible for civilian ownership, with few exceptions.
    No, you're not mistaken, I was just playin'. And yes, the M4 and M16 are both based on the AR15. The M4 has the shorter 14.5 inch barrel, which is made legal with a 1.5 inch muzzle brake, or the like. The M16 has a longer barrel - 20 inches, I think, though I'm not certain. (If only there were a vast repository of information - some sort of superhighway.....) And yes, an actual M4 is a select fire with single and full auto, and very few civilians are going to have them laying around. (Since I don't have an actual M4, I call it a M4gery. Clever, eh? I didn't come up with that one.)

Byblos brings up a good point, though. Don't limit yourself to the the carbine length barrel. A full 20 incher can do wonders for you past 300 yards.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by kolonial72 View Post

I think most decent AK will group at least this well.

(Lackawanna County)

An RRA is NOT a Colt. For most people's plinking any manufacturers AR variant will be fine. But for those whose lives depend on them, almost all will tell you colt is in the top 3 for battle carbines. Check out m4carbine.net, do some reading and you will quickly learn what the differences are. Btw I own AR's by colt, RRA and cmmg and as I stated above for a day at the range any will suffice. But if I could only pick one....colt 6920.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast