Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Mossberg 590A1 cleaning?

I have a Mossberg 590A1 12 GA pump action shotgun with a 20 inch barrel and 8 round magazine capacity. Model number 51663. Since I have gotten it I have put 50 rounds through it of slugs and birdshot. I would like to clean it and lube it up but I am unsure of what exactly I need. I dont want to walk into a gun shop and tell them this since they might make me buy a whole bunch of stuff I dont really need, to make a sale.

I already have Hoppes #9 and Break Free CLP that I use for cleaning my GLOCK 19 if that helps.

Bore snake? I watched a video of someone taking the entire receiver and everything apart. Is that necessary every time? Looks difficult.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Default Re: Mossberg 590A1 cleaning?

Bump .

(Beaver County)

I have four different bore snakes and they're fantastic so I would definitely pick one up if I were you. All you have to do is open the action, drop the string end into the chamber and pull it through the muzzle. Even when the boresnake is dry, it still cleans beautifully. You don't even need to take the barrel off if you don't want to.

On the subject of cleaning your Mossy, I like to keep all of my moving parts lubricated. Taking the 500/590 apart isn't very difficult once you've done it a few times. Watch a youtube video on it a couple times and you should be fine. I use Rem oil and some different types of brushes and sponge things. The cool thing about the sponge brush is that it applies a good, even layer of oil where a rem oil cloth will get snagged on a textured finish like the parkerized guns have. Even if I don't go shooting for a month or two, I still take all of my guns down and clean them every few weeks.

(Delaware County)

I'll second watching the YouTube videos on disassembling and assembling Mossbergs. I am more familiar with the regular 500. As long as you don't attempt to disassemble the trigger group or the bolt group you should have an easy time learning how to take the gun apart for cleaning and lubing. The only two tools that I recommend getting other than what may normally be found in the household tool kit is a fore end wrench (not really necessary unless you want to remove the action arms from the fore end - but I do that) and a brass punch to pop out the pin that holds the trigger group in place without marring the finish. I use the same things as you - Hoppes and Break Free CLP. Bore snakes are also helpful as are 12 Ga. bore mops.

It's useful to learn how to do this, and maybe take the extra step of learning how to disassembe the bolt group. I got a New Haven Firearms 600AT (identical to Mossy 500) off Gunbroker for $75 because the seller noted that the shells didn't feed reliably. I stripped it, cleaned out all the accumulated filth, changed the magazine spring, and had a fully functioning, reliable Mossy as the result. It goes to the range with me with a 24" Modified barrel, and does double duty in the BR closet as an HD shotty with an 18" open bore barrel.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Perry County)

Shot shells can be pretty dirty. If you get a lot of crud building up in the action shoot it with brake cleaner hit it with air and then squirt it with Break free CLP. Once a year take it down and really clean it and lubricate it. Seriously this is one solid tough shotgun that can run with very little cleaning. However, if you enjoy a well oiled machine quality to your equipment you may have to, well oil it.