Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Exclamation Hunter Saftey Class near Pittsburgh 7/16 & 17th

If anyone else wants to get their AZ or FL concealed Handgun permit and need to take the safety class. Those states require certain training to be completed.

I will be attending the free PA hunter Safety classes in Elizabeth PA on Saturday and Sunday. Elizabeth PA is only 10 minutes south of PA.

There are still plenty of seats available, so if anyone wants to join me or car pool, let me know.

Here's the link to the class info:

You must register to attend and the class is free!
    http://my.register-ed.com/eventregis...register/11394
    Last edited by Ricochet; July 15th, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Default Re: Hunter Saftey Class near Pittsburgh 7/16 & 17th

A UT license requires specific training from a UT certified instructor, so this class alone would not work for that

Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application. View a list of out-of-state certified instructors.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; July 15th, 2011 at 06:37 AM.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    A UT license requires specific training from a UT certified instructor, so this class alone would not work for that

Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application. View a list of out-of-state certified instructors.
    My mistake. Thanks for the info. I will go remove UT from the original post.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    My mistake. Thanks for the info. I will go remove UT from the original post.
    No problem...

BTW, there are some UT certified instructors on this forum who offer classes in PA.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    No problem...

BTW, there are some UT certified instructors on this forum who offer classes in PA.
    Yeah, Im not interested in the UT class.

Im going to get the AZ non-res permit. The hunter safety class is free and the AZ permit is cheaper and faster to get.

Plus I think the AZ permit allows carry in 32 states ad the UT allows carry in 33 states ( at last count) .

AZ just seem to make more sense for me.

(Westmoreland County)

Post Re: Hunter Saftey Class near Pittsburgh 7/16 & 17th

Just took the Hunter/Trapper Education last weekend - is a great program, just prepared to be surrounded by 12 & 13 year olds.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Norun6 View Post
    Just took the Hunter/Trapper Education last weekend - is a great program, just prepared to be surrounded by 12 & 13 year olds.
    I see that it takes two long days. Exactly what the hell takes that long?

Also, did they give brakes during the day?

I dont think I can sit 8 hours without a smoke break once in a while . lol

(Westmoreland County)

I see that it takes two long days. Exactly what the hell takes that long?

Also, did they give brakes during the day?

I dont think I can sit 8 hours without a smoke break once in a while . lol
    Yeah, they give breaks - remember, it's really geared towards the 12-year range, so things take a little longer.

They do cover quite a lot, from muzzleloaders, to shotguns & rifles, bow hunting, and all sorts of trapping gear.

Throw in hunter safety, hunting seasons for deer vs turkey vs etc, different WMU (wildlife management units), PGC information (hunting license, reporting harvets, etc), etc...

And of course, they take questions and discuss things when any of the kids don't have a firm grasp - they do a very good job, but it takes a while. Plus, quite a few parents have questions... (most parents are on the side/back observing during the class).

The 2nd day of class ended about ~1.5 hours late as they literally read each test question to you - along with all possible answers, then they need to grade & distribute your certificates, etc....

Most of the material is common sense - one thing I would recommend, let the kids answer the questions. Quite a few of the adults got giddy with delight that they knew the answer and would call things out rather than letting the kids work it out...
    Last edited by Norun6; July 15th, 2011 at 09:13 AM.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Norun6 View Post
    Yeah, they give breaks - remember, it's really geared towards the 12-year range, so things take a little longer.

They do cover quite a lot, from muzzleloaders, to shotguns & rifles, bow hunting, and all sorts of trapping gear.

Throw in hunter safety, hunting seasons for deer vs turkey vs etc, different WMU (wildlife management units), PGC information (hunting license, reporting harvets, etc), etc...

And of course, they take questions and discuss things when any of the kids don't have a firm grasp - they do a very good job, but it takes a while. Plus, quite a few parents have questions... (most parents are on the side/back observing during the class).

The 2nd day of class ended about ~1.5 hours late as they literally read each test question to you - along with all possible answers, then they need to grade & distribute your certificates, etc....

Most of the material is common sense - one thing I would recommend, let the kids answer the questions. Quite a few of the adults got giddy with delight that they knew the answer and would call things out rather than letting the kids work it out...

Oh man. You got me worried now.

Im gonna feel like an asshole if Im the only adult sitting in the room with a bunch of kids. lol
    How many other adults were actually taking the class and not their for their kids?

(Westmoreland County)

Oh man. You got me worried now.

Im gonna feel like an asshole if Im the only adult sitting in the room with a bunch of kids. lol
    How many other adults were actually taking the class and not their for their kids?
    Nah, nothing to be worried about - everyone's friendly and laid back.

I was the only adult signed up but at the end of the first class the instructors offered any parents who were sitting in with the kids to sign up and take the test on the 2nd day as well.

So the 2nd day while I was still the only one "sitting with the kids" when it came time for the testing 2 or 3 other adults stepped forward to take it.

Go for it...it's not bad at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast