Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fulton County)

Default Alaska State Troopers

Did anyone else see the episode where a couple was pulled over, and after about 2 minutes of talking, the male passenger declared that he had a gun on him? I guess the law is that you must declare you have a firearm on you immediately, but didn't anyone else think this cop was on a power trip, and just wanted to make a scene for the tv show? To be fair the man did have a felony assault court case coming up, but he wasn't convicted yet. Tell me what you guys think about this. I'm still trying to find a youtube clip of the incident.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Alaska State Troopers

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    Did anyone else see the episode where a couple was pulled over, and after about 2 minutes of talking, the male passenger declared that he had a gun on him? I guess the law is that you must declare you have a firearm on you immediately, but didn't anyone else think this cop was on a power trip, and just wanted to make a scene for the tv show? To be fair the man did have a felony assault court case coming up, but he wasn't convicted yet. Tell me what you guys think about this. I'm still trying to find a youtube clip of the incident.
    I saw the incident you are referring to, remember it well. In Alaska when contacted by a peace officer and carrying a concealed deadly weapon, you must immediately inform.

From what I recall, the cop did play it up a little but that guy had plenty of time to inform and failed to do so.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by GL23 View Post
    I saw the incident you are referring to, remember it well. In Alaska when contacted by a peace officer and carrying a concealed deadly weapon, you must immediately inform.

From what I recall, the cop did play it up a little but that guy had plenty of time to inform and failed to do so.
    Yeah I guess that's fair, still though, it seemed like the male was cooperating; and might not have known the law. He did have a responsibility to report it, according to the law. I don't know, maybe I'm just being a little bit too sensitive.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    I didn't see that one, but I did see an encounter in a different episode when someone did inform immediately. Sure it went smoothly; as smoothly as the oppression of civil rights can possibly go I suppose.

In must inform States, it's patently obvious that the fifth amendment gives a clear pass to not inform if you're a criminal carrying illegally. However, it will be a true test to how far our courts will diminish the fourth amendment if these laws are ever challenged as unconstitutional under it for those who carry legally.

Alaska loves to enforce that law to fine and/or jail otherwise law-abiding folks.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    I didn't see that one, but I did see an encounter in a different episode when someone did inform immediately. Sure it went smoothly; as smoothly as the oppression of civil rights can possibly go I suppose.

In must inform States, it's patently obvious that the fifth amendment gives a clear pass to not inform if you're a criminal carrying illegally. However, it will be a true test to how far our courts will diminish the fourth amendment if these laws are ever challenged as unconstitutional under it for those who carry legally.

Alaska loves to enforce that law to fine and/or jail otherwise law-abiding folks.
    I haven't seen that one, I'll have to see if I can find that encounter on youtube too.

(Columbia County)

I saw that episode and the blatant civil rights violations made my blood boil. Here's the thread I started on it back in March:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/130...ry-my-ass.html

The OP has a link to the video. It picks up a little late into it, but I wrote out the conversation leading up to it (exactly word for word while watching with my DVR).

(Monroe County)

I believe that this is the compromise that was made in order to get Constitutional Carry passed in that state. In Alaska you don't need any permits to carry.

(Lancaster County)

So how does the "duty to inform" play out during mere encounters? You're standing in line at WaWa getting some coffee, officers walks up behind notices you printing and engages you in mild conversation, then slams you for not notifying?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    So how does the "duty to inform" play out during mere encounters? You're standing in line at WaWa getting some coffee, officers walks up behind notices you printing and engages you in mild conversation, then slams you for not notifying?
    The law states that if the deadly weapon is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person must immediately inform the peace officer of possession.

Does the occurrence of a mere encounter mean one has "been contacted?"

IANAL

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    I believe that this is the compromise that was made in order to get Constitutional Carry passed in that state. In Alaska you don't need any permits to carry.
    I'd rather the need to get a permit/license to carry than the duty to inform. That is garbage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast