Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default SR9 Magazine Disconnect

So I followed the SR9 Magazine Disconnect instructions,
    and now I hear a clicking when it is not cocked...
    VIDEO BELOW

I have since reinstalled the mag disconnect and I am still hearing this clicking sound. When I pull the trigger very slowly I hear a click right before the break.

Any idea on what the hell happened? I do not remember it doing this before.

I dont have the cash atm to get it looked at by a smith but I will if have to.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: SR9 Magazine Disconnect

i would field strip it and look to make sure there isnt anything (metal shavings) in the trigger assembly or in the striker assembly.... i didnt watch the video yet so i have no clue what the clicking sound could possibly be so ill check that out after i post this.

(Lehigh County)

ok after watching... take the slide off and chake it while not cocked... if theres no sound shake the grip assembly and see if that makes a noise.... did you install an aftermarket striker spring? or did you cut the striker spring?? any other mods to the sr9?? cuz ive had mine completely detail stripped and put it ack together and have never herd that....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    ok after watching... take the slide off and chake it while not cocked... if theres no sound shake the grip assembly and see if that makes a noise.... did you install an aftermarket striker spring? or did you cut the striker spring?? any other mods to the sr9?? cuz ive had mine completely detail stripped and put it ack together and have never herd that....
    The only other thing I did was paint the sights.
    I can hear it is the striker moving freely when not cocked.

The mag disconnect was reinstalled and it would not affect it functionally whether installed or not, but I put it back in after hearing the sound and it still does it.

(Bucks County)

That's one of those weird mystery things that happen that you think it shouldn't. I'm no gunsmith or anything but I'm half-way decent at figuring out those kind of things whether it be guns,cars, model trains or even the grandkids toys. If you haven't figured it out by the time you come to pick up your ammo & you want you can bring it with you & maybe we can figure out what's going on with it.
    This may be a stupid question,but is it still under warranty or anything ? My brother-in-law has a Raven Arms handgun that he inherited but no manual or anything & he took it to Tanner's & the gun showed him how to take it down & also fixed his air pistol for free, so maybe they might be able to help you if no one else.Good luck,I hope you already have it figured out by the time you read this
    Jesus is Lord !

(Bucks County)

I called them and the guy gave me a walkthrough of press this pull that wiggle this and he said it should be nothing to worry about.

I will still not satisfied with the service over the phone with ruger but as the guy said to me, I do not have it in front of me so I cant tell you absolutely what is wrong if anything. He told me there is no way the striker is moving freely but I can feel it when I shake it.

Ugh oh well, guess ill eventually figure it out.

(Lehigh County)

im assuming it does it when the mag is out of the gun too? like i said... the striker spring may be caught up on a burr or something like that on the inside of the striker channel.... thats the only thing i can think of that woluld be causing that kind of rattle...

(Cumberland County)

Just checked out my wifes SR9. First it is unmodified and somewhere between 500 and 1000 rounds through it. With no mag no rattle. With a mag a rattle when shaken front to back. A lite shake does nothing it takes a pretty heavy shake. Also with the gun cocked there is no rattle. I would guess it to be the striker pin.
    Last edited by Neilthepilot; July 30th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

Relax, it's normal. When the gun is striker-down, but hasn't cycled, the firing pin blocker is held out of the way (as it should be) by the trigger. The rattle you hear is the sound of the striker being free to move back and forth, since nothing has tension on it.

You wouldn't normally hear it, because usually when you drop the striker, the gun goes off and cycles a new round, and grabs the striker again.

In a factory gun, you wont hear this sound with the magazine removed, striker down, uncycled, because the mag disconnect safety is putting pressure on the striker holding it in place.

Kinda sad the Ruger tech didn't know what it was right off the bat. Enjoy your gun, it's perfectly fine.

(Northumberland County)

i took mine out a month after i bought my SR9 in july 2009, i dry fired it alot after i took it out to get used to the trigger pull.

im thinking about getting a Ghost Rocket 3.5 for my SR9 http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=7...0500&source=CJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast