Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default My New Rock Island Is Breaking My Heart

I just got a NIB Rock Island Tactical .45 a couple days ago, like many women she is a beauty but boy does she have a bad attitude. All I have done so far is dressed her up in a hogue grip. I havent taken her out yet but I have fondled and played with her at the house.

Here is my problem: When I put a loaded magazine in the weapon and rack the slide to chamber a round they all hit flush against the ramp and jams it up. It looks like the magazine is seated far too low. I have racked the slide through about 5 full mags and literally one round out of the all those mags went into the chamber without reracking etc.

Is the ACT mag a cheapy or a dud? Is it my girl? Or is this typical and it takes a round being fired for the pressure to be suffecient to chamber rnds flawlessly? My confidence in her is decreasing as the days go by. What could be the problem?????

(Mercer County)

Default Re: My New Rock Island Is Breaking My Heart

My sugestion would be to try another mag first. Wilson combat and chip mccormick are two of the best out there. ACT mags aren't known for quality. If that dosent work the feed ramp might need a little polishing. she might have a bur.

(Bucks County)

Stop playin with it and go shoot it - hand cycling not even close to the same as running ammo thru it. Let us know how you do after going to the range! If there are problems - they may present themselves differently under live fire conditions.

Good luck.

(Cumberland County)

Will it load from slide lock?

High quality mags can't hurt, but if it will chamber a round by locking the slide back and inserting a full magazine I'd say shoot 2 or 3 boxes through it. It might just loosen up.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lycoming County)

I read what may have been a thread from here (or somewhere else) where a guy had a similar problem.

The factory mag would not load but he stated fortunately he also had two McCormick mags with him that he picked up when he bought the firearm and they worked flawlessly.

Give it a try and keep that in mind.

Let us know.

Pistol Packin Preacher

(Susquehanna County)

My Rock Tactical 9mm is the typical Rock. Feeds everything, from any mag, never chokes. +1 on "shoot it"!! Most guns take 200 to 300 rounds to break in, some even more. Don't panic till you get to 500! I"ll bet by then you'll be looking at your next purchase.... Yea, Another RIA!

(Dauphin County)

Are you easing the slide forward with your hand or letting it slam forward?

Im not really letting it ease or letting it slam when i rack the slide. I take some pressure off so it doesnt slam but let it have suffecient pressure for it to operate... controlled pressure i guess.

I looked at it during my lunch break and it appears that the ACT mag has to be out of spec, the height of the round when i looked at it through chamber is just too low. Its like watching a prius run into the back of a semi truck. The round is just not going to get over that hump no matter how smooth the ramp is.

Like some of you guys said im going to have to get some better mags. It just sucks to get your toy out the box and have problems like this you know. IMO anything "factory" should function flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by beast1989 View Post
    I just got a NIB Rock Island Tactical .45 a couple days ago, like many women she is a beauty but boy does she have a bad attitude. All I have done so far is dressed her up in a hogue grip. I havent taken her out yet but I have fondled and played with her at the house.

Here is my problem: When I put a loaded magazine in the weapon and rack the slide to chamber a round they all hit flush against the ramp and jams it up. It looks like the magazine is seated far too low. I have racked the slide through about 5 full mags and literally one round out of the all those mags went into the chamber without reracking etc.

Is the ACT mag a cheapy or a dud? Is it my girl? Or is this typical and it takes a round being fired for the pressure to be suffecient to chamber rnds flawlessly? My confidence in her is decreasing as the days go by. What could be the problem?????
    Sounds like the OEM magazine(s) are not lining up right. I would try a Wilson's as has been suggested already.

(Monroe County)

Mine will do that with the act mag if I fully load it with 8 rounds. If there are only 7 it works fine. I only use the factory mag for the range. I have some Wilson and McCormick mags for carry duty that function 100%
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast