Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Delco Reference Checks?

I applied for my CCW permit today and for the reference section I didn't want to put my friends because they might joke around if they get a call from the Sheriffs dept, especially the ones who don't believe in owning or carrying a firearm, so I put my brother-in-laws wife, and my wife's sister. I was going to tell them to just say they're a friend of the family but my wife said that she's gonna tell them not to lie for me so they won't get in trouble.

Was it bad for me to put them as my references? I only did it because they are part of my extended family and they wouldn't try to intentionally screw my application process up.

Do they really check the references? Also, is there anyway, I can go to the sheriffs dept and say I made a mistake on the application and I need to fix something?

I really don't want to screw up my chances of getting this permit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Delco Reference Checks?

Quote Originally Posted by mtp81 View Post

Do they really check the references? Also, is there anyway, I can go to the sheriffs dept and say I made a mistake on the application and I need to fix something?

Yes, the DELCO Sheriff checks references AND calls your employer. Most of the time he takes at least 45 "working" days to complete the process. I can't help you with the rest of your questions.

Welcome to the forum,

Bill

(Delaware County)

Well good thing I didn't put a job since I'm between them right now. The girl at the desk just said to write unemployed.

Thanks anyway. I talked to someone else from this board and they said to just let it be and that they won't deny me because of who I put.

Thanks.

I recently received my LTCF also. Used my brother in law and my next door neighbor as references. Both were called. For some reason, my employer was never contacted. I don't believe you will have a problem with the references you submitted. I have only heard of them inquiring to the type of person you are, is he a level headed individual, does he use or abuse drugs or alcohol etc.

Submitted my application on August 24, 2007 and received my approval on November 27, 2007. Yeah, 90 days plus...The wait is the worst part. Although the application references 45 days, DELCO has a track record of twice as long. Search these forums and you will see that others were able to walk into thier local County Sheriff's Office and leave with thier LTCF in hand in under 30 minutes in some cases!

Good luck and welcome aboard!
    John

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the replys and the warm welcome.

Now that I think of it, I don't really think I'll an issue with the references. I don't have anything to hide and since living in PA I've never gotten arrested or even gotten a ticket so I think I'll be cool. If I had started my job that I'll start in a month, I would be a little uncomfortable about them calling the job because I'm an RN and I don't want them calling the hospital about a carrying permit, and besides this was a very coveted position and I wouldn't want them to think anything about me because I wanna carry.

(Delaware County)

I turned in my app on the day before Thanksgiving, they called the references right before Christmas and I got my letter of approval on Dec 26. Went up the next day and got my license. I'm self employed and they never called me, go figure.
    Good luck with everything and welcome to the forum.
    Grizz
    National President and Founder
    Knights of the Innocent Inc.

(Delaware County)

I'm glad to hear y'all getting your LTCF's without trouble, especially the employer part, mine was contacted, that was almost a year ago and my employer is a gun friend so it didn't matter.

A few months ago I wrote to the PA Attorney General about the DELCO Sheriff's practices, calling employers, the wait being too long, past 45 days, false info on a pamphlet that was sent etc. I never heard back from the AG, but it is odd that folks applying recently didn't have their employer contacted and are getting notice a bit quicker.

Bill

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I'm glad to hear y'all getting your LTCF's without trouble, especially the employer part, mine was contacted, that was almost a year ago and my employer is a gun friend so it didn't matter.

A few months ago I wrote to the PA Attorney General about the DELCO Sheriff's practices, calling employers, the wait being too long, past 45 days, false info on a pamphlet that was sent etc. I never heard back from the AG, but it is odd that folks applying recently didn't have their employer contacted and are getting notice a bit quicker.

Bill
    Bill, I was just reading over the thread where you originally showed the letter you wrote and the other thread with the letters from Chevmeister & Statkowski and I gotta say all the stuff you wrote and they wrote sounds pretty solid. I was getting angrier and angrier reading through the threads because of the way the Sheriff acts and all...it extremely pisses me off! I am totally with you guys and although did not receive a pamphlet since I was not licensed and have not personally dealt with the Sheriff, I feel very strongly the way you guys feel.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mtp81 View Post
    Bill, I was just reading over the thread where you originally showed the letter you wrote and the other thread with the letters from Chevmeister & Statkowski and I gotta say all the stuff you wrote and they wrote sounds pretty solid. I was getting angrier and angrier reading through the threads because of the way the Sheriff acts and all...it extremely pisses me off! I am totally with you guys and although did not receive a pamphlet since I was not licensed and have not personally dealt with the Sheriff, I feel very strongly the way you guys feel.
    FWIW I just received an email from the AG concerning my complaint about the DELCO sheriff:

Dear Mr. ******:

The Criminal Law Division of the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General is in receipt of your email of November 30, 2007. If you still desire to discuss your concerns regarding the Delaware County Sheriff's Office's procedures when issuing firearms licenses, you may contact us at (717) 783-9995 and speak to an attorney who may be able to offer some assistance to you.
    There ya have it, a direct number to the complaint department,
    Bill

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    FWIW I just received an email from the AG concerning my complaint about the DELCO sheriff .....
    Follow-up:

I did call today, was transferred to a voice mailbox, George Spitzer I think the name was, I left a message as to why I called, the DELCO Sheriff's way of issuing the LTCF, and that I wanted to find out if his procedure is proper.

I'll let you know if/when I get called back.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast