Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Airsoft (bb) Gun Allowed in Upper Merion?

Build a Trebuchet and bait the throwing arm. When he gets in the basket pull the cord and admire your fine work.

No really I believe gander mountain sell live traps. Pythons advise sounds solid.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    So... not really. If you want to know your local laws you need to read the statutes. Lots of them. Think Township or County seat for this kind of info, if you can't find it online. Police are tasked with enforcing the law. You'd think that implies a certain amount of "knowing the laws" but that is terribly hit and miss (see thousands of posts here and other places).

If a cop told me he'd be fining me $1000 for shooting a BB gun on my property, I'd have a hard time not mouthing off about the likelyhood of him proving such a ridiculous violation. Because it isn't like they are going to stake out your lawn waiting for you to fire a BB gun. If you have nosy neighbors... different story.

That said, you don't want to shoot a groundhog with a BB gun anyway, let alone some bullshit airsoft gun. Groundhogs will shrug off a poorly placed 22lr, flip you off and go heal, or worse die under your porch (UGH). Look into a trap. Live trapping is permitted everywhere, even hippy towns. One you trap them, use your imagination on what to do with them.
    I'll take your word for the BBs it since I don't know much about hunting, and I don't really feel like stirring up sh*t with my neighbors or the cops over a couple groundhogs. I agree completely BTW that they were not quoting actual laws. They were telling me what they would be willing to give me sh*t about if they were informed. We are way off the main road, but I wouldn't put it past my neighbors to snitch. If there were no law against it, it would be easier to tell my neighbors off.

As for claw traps, that's a bit difficult. We have a cat who roams around outside and a few other neighboring cats who stroll through. I would hate to risk their safety over a rodent. I've attempted to use those Havahart junk traps, but they are completely useless when there are fresh veggies ten feet from the trap.

An exterminator might be my best option. I suppose I can find another type of snare I could set up near the garden. Too bad a .177 with a ballistic tip won't kill em'

(Beaver County)

A pellet from a 1000fps gun to the skull might kill a groundhog. I'd have to experiment. It might also not penetrate the skull and just knock them out, or knock them silly. Not a big fan of either. A body shot with that pellet will not have good results.

As for leg hold traps, they are barbaric and really shouldn't exist. We had a family cat caught in a leg hold for days in the dead of winter one year until he finally managed to pull it up and drag it home. Dirtbag who set it didn't bother to check his traps.

I was talking about this: http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/1079
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Montgomery County)

Check for local discharge ordinance. Load up .22lr Rifle. Profit.
    Last edited by ByblosHex; July 14th, 2011 at 10:12 AM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    A pellet from a 1000fps gun to the skull might kill a groundhog. I'd have to experiment. It might also not penetrate the skull and just knock them out, or knock them silly. Not a big fan of either. A body shot with that pellet will not have good results.
    Not sure about 1000fps, but 700fps with a pointed field pellet definitely does NOT work. Years ago I popped a hog right in the side of the head and he scurried right under the deck. The next day he was back to eating my lettuce.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12