Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default fake can.can some one help me out please

i need to know the law on a fake can i have a rifle that is just a show piece its spot welded so it a dud its just for show and conversation i came across a fake can that is a educatianal dummy can that looks real opens up comes with fake baffles(of course thier are no holes in the baffles) all it would be used for is thread onto the rifle and do what the rifle is thier for just a show piece also i thought it would be pretty cool since u can unscrew the top and see how a real one would be made...
    now my question it says its legal to own since thier are no holes in the washers or baffles whatever thier called i even think thier plastic but its better to be safe then sorry,thiers no need for me to buy it if i have to register it since it wont be used for shooting
    any help with this would be great i know fake cans are legal in pa but ive never seen one that the end screwd off,the exact name of it is called a educational dummy supressor..............
    thanks.....

(Bucks County)

Default Re: fake can.can some one help me out please

Who knows, the ATF make their own rules about fake cans. They decided that the fake can that came on the gsg5's was an NFA item, so keep that in mind. I think the reasoning was that it could be easily converted to a real can just by drilling some holes in the barrel. I would think the can that you are referring to could also be converted easily because it has baffles, you would just need to drill holes in them.

(Crawford County)

Baconfat, can you confirm that the GSG fake can is illegal? One came with mine and the BATF inspected it as they were doing a surprise audit at my FFL dealer (not a class III). The agent never said a word about it and did his audit.
    I doubt any holes will make much of a difference, it is hollow inside and if anything would act more like a flash hider.
    I filled out the normal paperwork and walked out .............. you would have thought if it was illegal he would have had a shit fit wouldn't he?

Its the GSG SD clone version that has issues. Apparently the inside of that was hollow and 'technically' fell into jurisdiction of a real can so they were all recalled. I believe all the hysteria is settled now.

1. just because the agent inspected it doesnt make it legal. I imagine an agent is just like a cop, paid to enforce the law, not to know the law.

2. when did you buy this gun? if it was a while ago, it technically may be one of the supposed "illegal" ones.

3. if it was a very recent purchase then your probably safe.

You have two options, either call the manufactuter or ATF with your serial numbers and see if its illegal, or option two, .... just clam the eff up. But if you call the ATF, be prepared to either have your gun taken away or have to pay a $200 tax and fill out paperwork for an NFA gun.
    [account deactivated]

(Bucks County)

Call gsg and take it up with them. They should know based on the serial number if it was recalled or not. I believe the only ones that were recalled were the ones with the really large fake cans on the SD version, not the narrow cans on the original gsg5.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog84 View Post
    i need to know the law on a fake can i have a rifle that is just a show piece its spot welded so it a dud its just for show and conversation i came across a fake can that is a educatianal dummy can that looks real opens up comes with fake baffles(of course thier are no holes in the baffles) all it would be used for is thread onto the rifle and do what the rifle is thier for just a show piece also i thought it would be pretty cool since u can unscrew the top and see how a real one would be made...
    now my question it says its legal to own since thier are no holes in the washers or baffles whatever thier called i even think thier plastic but its better to be safe then sorry,thiers no need for me to buy it if i have to register it since it wont be used for shooting
    any help with this would be great i know fake cans are legal in pa but ive never seen one that the end screwd off,the exact name of it is called a educational dummy supressor..............
    thanks.....
    All silencer parts are restricted. The tube is a silencer tube, from your description. The fact that the baffles in it right now are solid means nothing, it could be empty and still be a silencer tube. If there's an inner tube with holes that allow gas to enter the main tube from the muzzle, then it's definitely a restricted item.

Plastic parts can still be restricted. A 2-liter soda bottle and an adapter constitutes a silencer, even though the plastic is rapidly destroyed by use. Duct tape and a pillow can be a silencer.

It's not worth it, there are safer dummy cans available for $30 or so, with solid sleeves and welded ends.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    All silencer parts are restricted. The tube is a silencer tube, from your description. The fact that the baffles in it right now are solid means nothing, it could be empty and still be a silencer tube. If there's an inner tube with holes that allow gas to enter the main tube from the muzzle, then it's definitely a restricted item.

Plastic parts can still be restricted. A 2-liter soda bottle and an adapter constitutes a silencer, even though the plastic is rapidly destroyed by use. Duct tape and a pillow can be a silencer.

It's not worth it, there are safer dummy cans available for $30 or so, with solid sleeves and welded ends.
    That makes sense as to why they decided the GSG5 SD had an illegal can on it. It still used a regular can, it was just hollow inside....still a stupid law, but I understand why they did it now at least.
    [account deactivated]

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Who knows, the ATF make their own rules about fake cans. They decided that the fake can that came on the gsg5's was an NFA item, so keep that in mind. I think the reasoning was that it could be easily converted to a real can just by drilling some holes in the barrel. I would think the can that you are referring to could also be converted easily because it has baffles, you would just need to drill holes in them.

A volvo can be converted to one easily... who defines 'easy'?
    Last edited by MrBi11; July 16th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Montgomery County)

The gubment.

Just stay away form it altogether. It's not worth the hassle. Or.... save up and buy a real can.

(Crawford County)

Franky, mine just came in a couple months ago, so I imagine it is OK. The ATF guy took it out of the wrapper and looked it all over pretty good then put it back and went on with the audit.
    I'll check to see if it has a S/N on it and if not I'll just throw it away. Seems pretty stupid to have one anyway.......... what do you do with it? Impress someone in the hood? Scare little old ladies? We have enough trouble as gun owners without creating bad images.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast