Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Montgomery County DA's office? Prohibited?

I have a training event coming up in a week or so, which is being held at the Montgomery County DA's office.

What I'm hoping to find out without calling is.. does the DA's office have court facilities inside (Title 18, section 913 of course), and if so, do they have the proper facilities for securing my firearm?

If not, do they have signage stating "no firearms"?

Thanks in advance...
    "Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.”

(Chester County)

Default Re: Montgomery County DA's office? Prohibited?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    I have a training event coming up in a week or so, which is being held at the Montgomery County DA's office.

What I'm hoping to find out without calling is.. does the DA's office have court facilities inside (Title 18, section 913 of course), and if so, do they have the proper facilities for securing my firearm?

If not, do they have signage stating "no firearms"?

Thanks in advance...
    DA's office is definitely a no-no. See below for relevant statute.

§913. Possession of Firearm or Other Dangerous Weapon in Court Facility.

(a) Offense defined.—A person commits an offense if he:

(1) knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility; or

(2) knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime.

Definition of court facility

“Court facility.” The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a district justice; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge’s chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.

Quote Originally Posted by GL23 View Post
    DA's office is definitely a no-no. See below for relevant statute.

§913. Possession of Firearm or Other Dangerous Weapon in Court Facility.

(a) Offense defined.—A person commits an offense if he:

(1) knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility; or

(2) knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime.

Definition of court facility

“Court facility.” The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a district justice; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge’s chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.
    But by law they MUST have facilities for the checking of firearms as well. I would hope the DA's office knows the law.

(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous
    weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the
    building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or
    similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary
    checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section
    6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons
    that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual
    checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a
    dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt.
    Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as
    required under subsection (d).
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Northampton County)

Isn't the DA's office at the Courthouse? If so, wouldn't you check your firearm at the door? Or is the office in some other location?

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    Isn't the DA's office at the Courthouse? If so, wouldn't you check your firearm at the door? Or is the office in some other location?

The address I have is:

One Montgomery Plaza
    425 Swede St.
    Norristown

Doing some more searching, it looks like that is the address of the courthouse. So I'm ASSuming the courthouse has the mandated lock boxes.

(Chester County)

The Montco courthouse does have lockable firearm storage. Don't be surprised if they give you attitude about checking it and ask you repeatedly if you want to take it back out to your car instead. I refused repeatedly, and only after I reminded them they were required by law to provide storage did they agree to do so. They were obviously irritated by the fact they actually had to do their job.

Just be sure you tell them you need to check a firearm before you step through the metal detector.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    The address I have is:

One Montgomery Plaza
    425 Swede St.
    Norristown

Doing some more searching, it looks like that is the address of the courthouse. So I'm ASSuming the courthouse has the mandated lock boxes.
    One Montgomery Plaza is across the street from the Court House. Airty & Swede STS.
    The DA's Offcie is located in the Court House, Yes they have lock boxes and scanners at all enterances.

One Montgomery Plaza has offices for the DA's such as investigations and forensics. they have meeting rooms in there. I dont know if they have lock boxes down there. Ihavent been inside that building in many years.

Thought I should follow up on that. I walked in, and there was a guard/receptionist there. I asked him where the locker facilities were, and he said that's only needed for 2 floors, the 7th, and one other (that I can't remember), but that since there's no court in session that day, I'm fine.

I politely said "Uhh, I don't think there's any differentiation in the law on that one, would you mind verifying that?" He was pleasant, and checked with the deputies. Came back and told me where I could go to check my weapon.

The deputies weren't friendly or unfriendly, but were professional. I filled out the receipt, but they kept the key. I was running late so I didn't have time to argue about it, but when I came back, I'm positive it hadn't been disturbed.

Of course, when I get up to the room, several LEO's were in this class with me, and all of them were carrying.. sheesh.

P.S. GREAT Mexican food a few blocks down at Taqueria La Michoacana

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    The Montco courthouse does have lockable firearm storage. Don't be surprised if they give you attitude about checking it and ask you repeatedly if you want to take it back out to your car instead. I refused repeatedly, and only after I reminded them they were required by law to provide storage did they agree to do so. They were obviously irritated by the fact they actually had to do their job.
    Ha.............Greensburg courthouse is not the only one? Geeee......I thought we were the only ones where they love to sit on their asses and watch tv all day long. How do I know you ask?.......I worked at the courthouse in Greensburg for a short period of time and no.....not as a guard/security or anything like that
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    Just be sure you tell them you need to check a firearm before you step through the metal detector.
    Yeah.....if you forget to mention that.....you will be on the floor with a baton up your butt.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

And we wonder why this board gets a bad rep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast