Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Lightbulb Dual-purpose home defense/hunting SHTF shotgun

Hey folks, I'm hoping someone can offer some feedback on my first firearm purchase. I'm looking to buy a shotgun that will primarily serve as a home defense weapon, but I'd also like to be adequate enough for hunting small and medium game. I don't actually intend to hunt -- in fact, I hope to never use the weapon in a real-life scenario period. It's more of an insurance policy.

I am leaning toward the Mossberg 590A1 20" 9-shot for home defense, but as I understand it, the magazine tube is too long to accept larger barrels. Based on my research and limited knowledge (again, I'm totally inexperienced with shotguns and firearms in general, and I've never hunted a day in my life), I seem to have a few options outside of buying two separate shotguns:

1. Buy the Mossberg 590A1 20" 8+1 alongside a separate mag tube and barrel.
    2. Buy the Mossberg 590A1 18.5" 5+1 alongside a mag extension and barrel.
    3. Buy a sporting Mossberg alongside tactical components (the reverse of 1 and 2).

As I said, at the moment, this is nothing more than an insurance policy, so I won't lose any sleep at night if it's not the perfect solution to hunting. Also, I realize a second used hunting shotgun might be the most economically wise purchase, but that's less appealing to me for some reason. I want a neat consolidated "SHTF" solution. I welcome any and all advice with open arms.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Dual-purpose home defense/hunting SHTF shotgun

Here's an important question since we are talking about shotguns for your first gun . . . Have you ever fired a 12 gauge before? They take a lot of work to become proficient with because of the recoil and the constant reloading that comes with having such a small magazine capacity. I keep a handgun under my pillow for HD because I only want to be accountable for one projectile if I have to fire. Shotguns will definitely put down whatever you aim at but it may also take things inside your home with it.

The 18 1/2" barrel and 5 round tube will weigh less but weight isn't always a bad thing on a shotgun. It will help tame some of the recoil. It sounds to me like you're looking for guns at two completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Hunting shotguns and tactical shotgun are two completely different creatures. If you're looking for a defense weapon, I would go with the 20" 590 with the 8 round tube. If you want to hunt on the side, get the 18 1/2" model so you can use alternate barrels. The 18 1/2" kind of offers the best of both worlds because it's a very light, manueverable weapon that will accept different length barrels.

Mossbergs really aren't that expensive (to me at least). Then again, I love, love, love guns so I don't mind spending $500 on one of them. Seriously though, a basic 500 with 18" barrel and 5 + 1 capacity will cost less than $300 new.

(Luzerne County)

Negative, I haven't fired a 12 gauge, but I do intend to practice with it regularly and I have no reason to believe I wouldn't be able to achieve relatively sound proficiency. I also intend to seek a bit of private training so I don't shoot my eye out the first time. I didn't really mention this because I didn't want the conversation to focus on my lack of experience, but rest assured that I intend to approach this in a responsible manner.

It's also worth noting that I plan to keep the first shot as a non-lethal round (I don't want to kill someone if I don't have to heh) and I assume that may reduce the damage to my belongings (no clue if that's true though). When it comes down to it, I'm willing to damage a nic nac, desktop display or couch cushion while stopping an intruder. I live in a relatively spacious and minimally furnished apartment, so I don't have much to break.

Yeah, I am looking for a solid home defense shotgun that can be retooled for hunting if the situation calls for it. Like I said, I don't intend to drag it out every hunting season, I just figure it's wise to prepare for a time when I may not be able to walk in a grocery store and buy a package of meat. For whatever reason, I'm drawn to the 20" 9-shot model (it's the bigger numbers I tell ya!) but it seems like it may be the costliest route.

I'd be content with the 18.5-incher too, though. In all reality, having 9 shots is probably entirely impractical for my needs, but if I felt the need to bump it up to 8 for home defense I could buy a magazine extension, correct? I'm willing to spend $500-$600 to make this happen, but I'd like to spend as little as possible without cutting corners . If I opt for the 18.5" model, what barrel(s) should I buy for the secondary role?

(Allegheny County)

I don't hunt either. Well, not in a long time now anyway, but why do you need another barrel?

I had to sell my Mossberg Persuader (18" barrel) a while back but it was my home defense shotgun. It may not have been the ideal "hunting" configuration, but I can't see any reason I wouldn't have been able to take game with it. I was even able to hit a clay pigeon hanging on a backstop from about 50 yards using slugs the first time I tried shooting slugs out of it.
    I never tried at a longer distance, but surely it could be done.

I prefer the shorter barrel for indoors, but it's a personal preference - others prefer the extra ammo capacity.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

I honestly don't know for certain if I need another barrel to be reasonably effective, it just seems to be the general message echoed by folks around the web. In my mind, my inexperience with hunting will have a greater negative effect on my success than a sub-par barrel, but as I said, I'm as novice as they come so I have no clue. I appreciate the feedback so far. I'm hoping to make the purchase sometime next week if I can make a decision.

(Beaver County)

If you buy it as a 5+1, you're pretty much stuck that way. I don't know of any Mossberg extension kits other than the complete barrel/mag tube change kit that Brownells and a few other places sell. You're talking about $160 when you could have just bought a 7 or 8 rounder to begin with. I know the bigger numbers are appealing but it's all novelty in the beginning. My brother has a friend that went shooting with us once and he mentioned wanting to buy a Desert Eagle .50 and I filled him in on just how expensive .50 ammo is and how impractical a gun like that is. Needless to say, I changed his mind for the time being at least. Wanting the biggest, baddest gun makes sense to start but eventually, you'll know better. I had a .44 magnum with 8 3/8" barrel for a while. Why? Because it was big, intimidating and cool. I came to the realization that it was completely impractical for my purposes, too expensive for me to enjoy shooting it and not worth having. What I'm getting at is that you should resist the urge to buy something just because the numbers are bigger than something else.

Have you actually handled either of the shotguns? You may be able to solve this dilemma by simply walking into a gun shop and picking each of them up. The only real difference is going to be that the 20" is going to be a bit more front heavy, they both have the same controls. You may like the extra weight, you may not. The 18" is definitely going to be cheaper and that means you can spend more money on ammo or upgrades as you see fit. I hate Mossberg forends personally. I would upgrade to a Hogue rubber forend immediately.

I don't hunt or know anything about hunting. I shoot jugs filled with water and the occasional watermelon . . . or paper target. I've never taken a shot with either of my 12 gauges beyond maybe 20 yards.

Are you set on a Mossberg? Have you looked at a Remington? You could get a 6+1 870 with a factory installed extension and 18" barrel for about $400 new. I've had bad luck with my most recent 870 but 99% of them are great guns. The first two I owned ran flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    . . .

Are you set on a Mossberg? Have you looked at a Remington? You could get a 6+1 870 with a factory installed extension and 18" barrel for about $400 new. I've had bad luck with my most recent 870 but 99% of them are great guns. The first two I owned ran flawlessly.
    +1 on the Remington 870, which is configured for more versatility. Mossbergs (I've only owned the 500, not the 590)have a solid lug that makes the mag tube fixed, you can't use a couple different mag capacities without replacing the tube and the barrel. With the 870, the barrel lug is a pass-through, and you can add a 2 or 3 shot extension without replacing either the barrel or the mag tube.

The 870 also has every aftermarket accessory that the Mossberg accepts, plus more. Folding stocks, Sidesaddles, tactical lights, railed forends, pretty much anything one's Ninja half could want.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Centre County)

Deleted, wrong thread
    Last edited by SNAFUG36; July 13th, 2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Whoops

(Bucks County)

You need to figure out what type of hunting you will be doing and if you will be using buckshot or slugs.

So for the best of both worlds a shorter home defense for buckshot - IC choke

For buckshot in the woods, well you want 26 to 28 inch barrel with what ever choke you will need to pattern the gun at like 40 yards.

For slugs... a 21 inch barrel will do you or get a slug gun rifled barrel - the new savage 20ga bolt action for hunting and a different set up for home defense.

USE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE RIGHT JOB.

Barrel length does matter especially for hunting. Bird hunting requires barrel length and possibly two different chokes

For all around - Remington 870 hands down... or pick up a used 1100 and get the 870 for home defense.

I do not like mossbergs... a few guys from my club used to have function issues with them.

I also use semi autos... or an O/u

I have different shotguns for turkey (3.5 inch 12), deer season (buckshot gun), slug gun season rifled bull barrel 12ga, and bird hunting o/u.

It all depends on what type of hunting. Just don't want to see you waste your money.

You can get a combo deal on 870's 12ga 3in.. very versatile gun.

Stay away from cheap stuff because if you take it hunting there is nothing worse than a crappy gun when you have a deer or bird in your sights... opportunities. Obviously same goes for home defense.

my 4 cents... also.. length of pull is an issue.

There are plenty of articles about length of pull on the interwebs.. listen to them. If you don't mount the shot gun properly.. you will not get a good sight plane.. and you will not hit your target without moving for the right spot for acquisition..

I grew up using the Italian negotiators.. (shot guns), and rifles.... it is the pistols world where I am weak...

Have fun and learn before you purchase.

(Monroe County)

It's a tough question but here are a few possible ways to do it.

Get a Mossberg or Remington riot shotgun since this will see the most use and then pick up a used Mossberg Maverick with hunting length barrel.

Get a Remington with two barrels and go from riot with short barrel to longer barrel/ less capacity for hunting.

I would say to try and shoot some different configurations if possible. I have a Winchester 1300 riot gun for my home and it works for me. My neighbor uses a 5+1 because he likes how it feels with the less weight. He feels it gives him quicker time on target than a 7+1 or 9+1 that has more weight in the front. If this is true for you then it may be something you want to consider. I would rather a quick and accurate first shot than two extra shells if it worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast