Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint PRO?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Aimpoint PRO?

Well maybe I read more into your wording then you were trying to imply. Sorry if my adult language offended you. I also will let it go and get this thread back on topic.
    Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Maybe if you cannot control your cursing, you should interact with people less. It's a thread about a red dot sight...you need to drop the F bomb? Really?

I never questioned wanting stuff just because. Not ever once. I simply stated there is a huge tacticool mark up on this stuff, and honestly, most people don't need milspec gear anyway. A lot of people spend a lot of money they don't have to because they think that if it's not the Army issue unit, it's junk. That's really just not true.

Anyway, i feel like a hijacker, so i'm gonna step out...
    Is there another optic that can be left on that is significantly cheaper than the PRO? You never answered.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

I did answer it actually, just not with a specific model number, but since you insist on me doing so:

I have an $80 Walther PS-55 that uses a single AAA battery, that can be left on for almost a whole year on power setting 3, and could probably be left on for up to 2 years on power setting 1.

(it has 8 settings. 1 is good at night, 2 for dusk/dawn, 3 is good for bright day light- the rest of the settings are probably for aiming directly into the sun...lol)

This sight has been moved back and forth between several weapons, zeroes easily, has been dropped on the concrete -on the weapon- when i was moving into my new place and still works, and did not lose it's zero. If it'll take a 4 foot fall to the concrete mounted on the weapon and not break and still hold it's zero, that's plenty strong enough for me. The PS-55 is just a run of the mill Umarex built sight, but it does what needs doing....for under $100.

My Burris Fastfire II lasts for several months on a single battery, and indefinitely if you leave the optic cover on it. Not sure how many months yet, i haven't owned it long enough to drain the battery. Before that i had a Fastfire II that lasted a good 6 months or so on a single battery (and again, indefinitely with the cover on)

As i said, there are a lot of red dots nowadays that can be left on for months if not years on end. It's a common feature.

When you buy an Aimpoint for $400 (or a ACOG for $1300 plus), the difference in price you're paying is for 2 things. The first is for American labor, which costs WAY more than overseas labor- so even with 2 identical products, the American product is always going to cost a lot more money. The second is the tacticool tax, which like HK and Colt tax, is a pretty big % of the price tag.

Take the same exact sight, and build it over seas, and it would cost $150...which is why the M68 clone Strikeforce Vortex sight is about $150.

If you've got the money and you want to spend it on your own stimulus package, by all means, go ahead. But the vast majority of hobby/plinker/home defense/hunting guns will never see use that justifies the cost of a $400+ dollar milspec sight.

Truthfully, if you want a sight that lasts a long time without going out, and that doesn't need batteries, and is extremely robust, buy some trijicon iron sights for your AR, and call it a day.

People have this same debate over weapon lights, saying you need a $300-400 Surefire weapon light to have a durable combat ready system. It's nonsense...you can buy a Surefire 6PX LED 170 lumen tac light for $70, get a $30 pressure switch and $30 mount, and have every bit as capable of a system for a whopping $130...and it's still a Surefire.
    Last edited by Valorius; August 18th, 2011 at 09:40 AM.

(Allegheny County)

How durable is the Walther? Not talking withstanding an IED, but getting tossed around, dropped in the case, etc. How well does it hold a zero under those conditions? IIRC, it does not beat the Primary Arms in those departments.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Read what i wrote. When i was moving to my new place it fell 4 feet onto the concrete- mounted on the rifle- and did not break or lose zero.

Considering it's an $80 economy sight, what more could you possibly ask for?

I'm not saying it's better than Primary Arms. I'm saying that it's a cheap economy sight that works. That's all. To me the greatest feature of the Walther is that the unit takes a single AAA battery. They grow on trees, and are super cheap.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Read what i wrote. When i was moving to my new place it fell 4 feet onto the concrete- mounted on the rifle- and did not break or lose zero.

Considering it's an $80 economy sight, what more could you possibly ask for?

I'm not saying it's better than Primary Arms. I'm saying that it's a cheap economy sight that works. That's all.
    By re-read do you mean go back and look at what you edited in?

Yeah, i wasn't expecting you to post so quickly, especially before 10am... so i was still editing.

(Allegheny County)

Tactical tax? Sounds like you are pissed because good things cost money.

Are you serious?

If you are in denial that such things as the Colt tax, the HK tax, and Tacticool taxes exist, then we're really never going to see eye to eye on this issue.

(Allegheny County)

It is not that a "tax" exists, but rather you are paying for things you cannot see or understand. The difference between a Colt and a Del-Ton is pretty great, as is the price difference. When you write them down and begin to understand what is being done differently you can then see where the extra money goes. You don't have to spend it, but it is there. If you can't understand that...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast