Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: AK47 Open Carry: Stopped by the Cops

I could not even finish the video because it just gave me a bad taste. I carry my firearms for self defense, not because "I can". This guy just gives the anti's fuel.

Having the right to carry, for me anyway, is not a statement or some kind of self righteous dribble it is simply because our founding fathers felt it right for me to protect myself. I try to educate when it comes up with people because them not knowing their rights is a shame. it comes up quite a bit because I do open carry.

I will help fight for the 2A when it comes under pressure but not in a way that makes a mockery of it.
    Last edited by Navyvet04; July 12th, 2011 at 05:11 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Navyvet04 View Post
    I could not even finish the video because it just gave me a bad taste. I carry my firearms for self defense, not because "I can". This guy just gives the anti's fuel.

Having the right to carry, for me anyway, is not a statement or some kind of self righteous dribble it is simply because our founding fathers felt it right for me to protect myself. I try to educate when it comes up with people because them not knowing their rights is a shame. it comes up quite a bit because I do open carry.

I will help fight for the 2A when it comes under pressure but not in a way that makes a mockery of it.

"Because I can" is a great reason, when you dont have a duty to say anything else to a police officer. even if you arent under arrest, everything you say can effect the conversation or give them cause, right?

So, because i am legally allowed to do so is a perfectly valid reason

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Meh. He should have just said "Are you detaining me or am I free to go?" And then walked away. 6 minutes was spent saying the same shit back and forth.
    I agree, the OC was being a Dick IMHO...

Attention whores don't help the cause.

If I were primarily a 1st Amendment fan, I would have the same feeling about some guy who stood by the school yard and screamed "you useless little cocksuckers" at the children, "just because he could".

I'd still accept this guy as a client (if he were in my jurisdiction), if he had his carry license revoked. But I wouldn't pretend that he was helping to preserve and expand gun rights. This is all about him, and making people notice him, to make up for those prom nights when he stayed home and played Doom.

Hard cases make bad law. Unsympathetic defendants cause judges to permit governmental overreach, and sympathetic defendants cause judges to expand citizen rights beyond the Constitutional mandate. How sympathetic do you think this asshat is? What do you think would happen if he were arrested, detained, suffered a loss, and the judges were backed into a corner on "should police be allowed to stop and hassle people for OC of 30-round semi-auto rifles?"

Here in PA, OC in Philadelphia is legal, with an LTCF. The PPD will hassle people for it, until the courts make them stop. So routine handgun OC in Philly serves a purpose, as long as Philly is bound and overruled by the other 90% of the state's UFA. You can push the limits in Philly and the law probably won't change.

But most of PA would be opposed to the unquestioned right of citizens to walk along the Interstate with a loaded and shouldered AK, so if that self-absorbed amateur videographer came here, he could hurt us. If you force Harrisburg to address this issue, they won't just modify the UFA to forbid stupid people from carting semi-automatic rifles along the Interstate, they'd ban ALLrifle carry within 100 feet of any road, except for bolt guns during deer season by those with current hunting licenses; and wouldn't that help us all?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    to make up for those prom nights when he stayed home and played Doom.
    How did you know I skipped my Prom's and played (still play) Doom? That's a badass game. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    "Because I can" is a great reason, when you dont have a duty to say anything else to a police officer. even if you arent under arrest, everything you say can effect the conversation or give them cause, right?

Well, no.

One element of crimes like "disorderly conduct" is that the offensive act serves no legitimate purpose of the actor. (And I'm not conceding that possession of any firearm is always "offensive", but it's arguable under some circumstances.) So when police inquire as to your purpose, an answer that's based on "just because" doesn't help you, doesn't defuse the situation, doesn't provide the cop with an answer that requires him to go away.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

People on the forum know my take on OC as I've posted my experiences here.

If a cop asks for ID (and they're not bein' a douche about it) I'll give it to them. No need to a bunch of BS'in about laws and whatever. Just let them verify you're legal to own the firearm and it's not stolen and move on.

I had a cop tell me one time if I refused to give him ID that I'd be arrested for disturbing the peace because I was at the New Holland Fair (September 2010). I was CC'ing cause I didn't want any kids bumping into my firearm. But, while I was playing games, it was showing and he saw it. Gave him my ID & LTCF and he verified who I was, that my firearm was indeed mine and not stolen and I was on my way.

People who OC a rifle down the road and videotape the whole thing are looking for attention. That's pushing your limits.

Just my two cents.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

I understand that and in a given situation I would say something to that affect just to slim down the situation. I am assuming here so excuse me for that but I am pretty sure that most of us on here don't carry simply because we can but because we CAN carry a means to protect ourselves.

I was only disgusted because he was not carrying his chosen weapon for protection but to make a point and in my experience good points get lost when delivered radically, thus causing detriment to the education and normalization of the 2A.
    Last edited by Navyvet04; July 12th, 2011 at 06:03 PM.

(Allegheny County)

This is all about him, and making people notice him, to make up for those prom nights when he stayed home and played Doom with one hand.
    Fixed it for you, but yep: ^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

I fully support the 2A, and totally oppose cops exceeding their authority, but I'll use my psychic powers and give you a free reading: the guy in the video is an asshole. Not an asshole "for carrying," nor "for carrying an AK-47." Just a plain-old garden-variety asshole. The kind who tells your boss you weren't really sick last Friday, and tells your wife you were out drinking last night, and disrespects his woman out in public, and sticks people with the check.

(Washington County)

Well, no.

One element of crimes like "disorderly conduct" is that the offensive act serves no legitimate purpose of the actor. (And I'm not conceding that possession of any firearm is always "offensive", but it's arguable under some circumstances.) So when police inquire as to your purpose, an answer that's based on "just because" doesn't help you, doesn't defuse the situation, doesn't provide the cop with an answer that requires him to go away.
    Good point. I would think with that attitude, "Because i can" could be a lot better than most other responses.

I agree, the attitude is not all that great.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast