Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Cranberry homeowner shoots at 2 suspected burglars

Tuesday, July 12, 2011
    By Ryan Brown, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    A Cranberry homeowner fired at two people trying to enter his house this morning, possibly hitting one before they fled, police said.

The homeowner, who lives on Dutilh Road, had been out of town for two weeks, during which time his house may have been broken into. Police said people may have squatted in the house while the owner's family was away, stealing a handgun in the process.

Around 4 a.m. today -- hours after police received a report on the earlier break-ins -- they received a second call indicating the homeowner had fired on someone entering his house.

After seeing two flashlights outside, the homeowner opened fire. One trespasser shouted to his partner, possibly indicating he had been hit, police said. Officers said the trespassers then fled into a wooded area.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Cranberry police at 724-776-5180.

Ryan Brown: rbrown@post-gazette.com

First published on July 12, 2011 at 11:58 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11193...#ixzz1RuUV6v8H

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Cranberry homeowner shoots at 2 suspected burglars

Good. I'm a big believer that crime should hurt...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Venango County)

I used to live on that street. Back when Cranberry was rural and mostly wooded. There aren't many homes left there. Wonder where it was at.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I used to live on that street. Back when Cranberry was rural and mostly wooded. There aren't many homes left there. Wonder where it was at.
    Patch has more details:
    http://cranberry.patch.com/articles/...ome-invasion#c
    Cranberry Police are searching for at least two people, including one who may have been wounded by a gunshot, after an early-morning burglary attempt at a secluded home off Dutilh Road.

Police were dispatched to the home around 4 a.m. Tuesday when a woman reported her boyfriend used a handgun to shoot at a man attempting to break into the home.

The homeowner, who was not identified, told police he was asleep in bed when noise outside the residence woke him. He told police he grabbed a gun and saw two flashlights shining on his property. Moments later, a man opened the door and began to enter the home, police said.

Police said the homeowner fired two shots at the man. The man yelled to at least one other person before both took off into the woods near the home, police said.

Officers searched the woods but did not find those people, police said. Officers said it’s possible the homeowner shot one of the burglars.

Police said officers also were called to the residence around 7:30 p.m. Monday after the homeowner discovered someone had broken into the house while he was on vacation between June 27 and early Tuesday. Police said a handgun is among the items missing from the ransacked home.

There also are indications the suspects had been staying at the home while the owner was away, police said in a statement. The home at 73-B Dutilh Road is not visible from the road and is set back at the end of a gravel driveway in a wooded area between Dutilh Road and Interstate 79 near the Cranberry Christian Child Care Center.

Around 9:30 a.m., a man who was leaving the home identified himself as the homeowner but would not give his name. He said someone broke into the home, but declined further comment.

Police continue to investigate. Anyone with information on the burglary is asked to call Cranberry Police at 724-776-5180.
    Seems to be the house in the upper right of this map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.689...05161&t=h&z=18
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Butler County)

But, but....it's such a nice neighborhood. Why does anyone who lives there need a gun.

Good for the homeowner.

(Beaver County)

I'm always up in Cranberry, and I'm actually surprised the published crime rates are as low as they are with so many routes in and out of the area. Hope they catch the burglars and don't go after the homeowner.

(Monroe County)

I'm thinking that either it was an "inside job" or someone was watching them to know when they were away.

(Bucks County)

After seeing two flashlights outside, the homeowner opened fire.
    WHAT? Doesn't sound like target identification to me.

"Identify your target and whats behind your target"

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by kadar View Post
    Patch has more details:
    http://cranberry.patch.com/articles/...ome-invasion#c

Seems to be the house in the upper right of this map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.689...05161&t=h&z=18
    Ok, those are definitely my ole stomping grounds. The triangular property between that road and across Dutilh from Pennzoil no longer has the house on it but it's where I grew up. I used to know the people who owned that house, not sure if they still do, though. The old Cranberry firehall would shoot fireworks back towards their property and I would stand there watching the fireworks explode overhead. Sometimes they would be late 'bloomers' which really made it interesting to have them go off above you. It also created a good debris field.

I think having a handgun stolen and evidence of a break-in would put someone in fear for their lives should anyone show up. There is really no reason for anyone to be there. It is way out of the way. It also looks more like a cabin than a home which is why there were squatters, probably. I am assuming the same home exists there. The driveway is the old trolley line that ran from Pittsburgh to Butler. There is a drainage tunnel one can walk through to cross 79 or one can do so above, on the highway. Lots of places to hide.

One can fire with little risk of hitting anyone or anything else.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch