Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Question use of magnum primers in place of std. primers

can you use mag primers of the same type to replace std. primers? such as small rifle mag. primers instead of small rifle std. primers. if so do you reduce powder charges or use different burn rate powder? thanks in advance for any feedback, red dog

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: use of magnum primers in place of std. primers

There are very few times where you shouldn't use mag primers over standard.

For practically all other times, yes - you can use mag primers.

The use of a mag primer should be avoided when you are loading to max charges when a standard primer is called for. Mag primers have a tendency to cause a faster spike in the pressure curve, possibly one outside the design limits of the gun.

I use only mag primers. The cost virtually the same as standard, yet I get a better burn of the powder and 20-50fps more velocity.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    can you use mag primers of the same type to replace std. primers? such as small rifle mag. primers instead of small rifle std. primers. if so do you reduce powder charges or use different burn rate powder? thanks in advance for any feedback, red dog
    Some data specifies mag primers, even in std calibers, and mostly in ball propellant situations/cold weather per the particular manual. My .243 heavy varmint custom rifle definitely shoots tighter groups with CCI mag vs std primers when using H414... As is std practice, you should work up a load as you introduce new variables.

I bought some small pistol primers a few months ago at my local gun shop. When I got around to reloading my 9mm's I found that I had picked up magnum primers by mistake.

I did a "google" search on substituting magnum primers for standard & the general consensus is that you can safely do it as long as you reduce the charge & work up your loads from the beginning.

Luckily, the shop exchanged them for me, so I didn't have to go to the trouble of working up all new 9mm loads.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: use of magnum primers in place of std. primers

thanks for the info guys, your answers are pretty much what i expected. i feel better now about trying the mags over the std. i have been using.