Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Need some "Hunting 101" help!

So my interest in firearms has turned into an interest in hunting. Problem is, I'm a complete NOOB when it comes to this subject. I've never been out hunting, and no one in my immediate family hunts. From reading the stickies, I know that I need to take the Hunter's Training Course before I can get a license, I know the different license types, and I know the next deer season starts at the end of November. I figure I have plenty of time, then, to get licensed and get all the equipment (rifle, scope, gear, outerwear, etc.). I have so many questions about this subject that I can't even remember them all, so I'll start with what I have on my mind right now.

Rifle:
    I know that in order to hunt in PA I need to have something bolt-action (i.e. not semi-auto). I haven't looked around very much, but here are two that I'm interested in:

When it comes to the question of caliber, I have no idea. A lot of people seem to like .308 Win or .30-06. I don't think I need some crazy super magnum (or do I?). This will mainly be a deer gun, so what calibers are good for PA whitetail?

Scope:
    Again, I know pretty much nothing. Will something like this in 3-9X be sufficient for PA hunting environments? Is it really necessary to spend upwards of $500 for a scope?

Lastly, are there any resources that you could point me to regarding getting into hunting?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Need some "Hunting 101" help!

As you mentioned, there are several threads already on the topic. Another good forum site would be www.huntingpa.com. You dont necessarily need a "bolt action" rifle, a pump action or lever action would work just as well. I see you are in the state college area, as am I. I hunt a lot of the area around state college and as far as caliber goes.... a wide range would work from a 30.06, 270, 308, 12gauge slugs, or the trusty 30-30. There are a lot of "thick, brushy" woods in this area of PA and the 30-30, 12 gauge slugs, or the 30.06 would be perfect but nothing wrong with the higher calibers especially if you plan on hunting other parts of the state. I know that everyone has their own opinions on which gun to use and again, I would do more reading about different calibers. Remington is a fine gun maker, as well as Marlin, Browning, Thompson Center, and a host of others. There are also some more expensive gun makers, but for just getting started into hunting, I wouldnt spend the money on them (just yet).
    A 3-9 scope is perfect, and no, you dont need to spend $500 on a top of the line scope unless you want to. A nice scope can easily be had for $300, or you can spend $100 at walmart for a basic 3-9x Tasco or BSA. Feel free to pm if you have more questions about hunting in the State College area. I would be more than happy to help.

(Chester County)

Welcome to the proud heritage of hunting in Pennsylvania. I hope you have a great experience and have the opportunity to encourage others to follow as well as pass the tradition down to future generations.

The internet is good resource to get general information and finding reviews about the various makes, models and calibers of long guns, but a lot of the numbers that get cited in detailed articles about speed, range and accuracy are geared toward the highly experienced shooter and are irrelavant and often misleading to the average hunter.

You mentioned rifles for hunting deer, but if you also plan on hunting small game you might want to consider a shotgun. If you're limited to just one gun for all types of hunting, a shotgun would be a good choice, and a day of trap shooting is always a good time and an excellent way of honing your moving target skills. As celisup78 already mentioned, no semi-autos doesn't limit you to a bolt action. There are also pump (or slide action), lever action and single shot and double barrel (which are quickly regaining their popularity). As far as scopes go, a high quality scope certainly helps, but you definitely don't need to spend $500+ on your first one. There are many manufacturers that make quality scopes for less than $300, and companies with a reputation for excellent optics, like Nikon and Bushnell, make very good scopes that sell for around $200.

My suggestion is do a little more leg work on this forum as well as other on-line sources and when you have a general idea of what you think you want, go to a local mom-n-pop gun shop and talk to the owner. Chances are he'll have a lot of useful information about where people are taking game, and what types of firearms they're using. Also, even though November seems like a long way away, start looking for a hunting safety course soon. You may have a difficult time finding one that's close by with convenient hours if you wait until September or October.

Quote Originally Posted by celisup78 View Post
    Another good forum site would be www.huntingpa.com.
    Thanks a bunch for this link, I've been reading through forum posts for a few hours now and have found a lot of helpful stuff (like this for example).

I hunt a lot of the area around state college and as far as caliber goes.... a wide range would work from a 30.06, 270, 308, 12gauge slugs, or the trusty 30-30. There are a lot of "thick, brushy" woods in this area of PA and the 30-30, 12 gauge slugs, or the 30.06 would be perfect but nothing wrong with the higher calibers especially if you plan on hunting other parts of the state.
    Yeah, caliber is still a question mark for me. I've heard good things about all of the calibers you mention, with the addition of 300 Win and 7mm-08. I remember reading somewhere that because the .30-06 is so old, the same ballistics can now be achieved with a short-action .30. Is this true?

Remington is a fine gun maker, as well as Marlin, Browning, Thompson Center, and a host of others. There are also some more expensive gun makers, but for just getting started into hunting, I wouldnt spend the money on them (just yet).
    Completely agree with this; I will definitely look around before making my decision.

A 3-9 scope is perfect, and no, you dont need to spend $500 on a top of the line scope unless you want to. A nice scope can easily be had for $300, or you can spend $100 at walmart for a basic 3-9x Tasco or BSA.
    A good number of people on the HuntingPA forums had good things to say about their Simmons scopes (a 3-9x40 can be had for $100). My roommate has a Savage .22LR that came with a Simmons 3-9x. I've shot it on a number of occasions and it seems to be a nice solid scope. Anyone here have experience with Simmons?

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Welcome to the proud heritage of hunting in Pennsylvania. I hope you have a great experience and have the opportunity to encourage others to follow as well as pass the tradition down to future generations.
    Thank you!

You mentioned rifles for hunting deer, but if you also plan on hunting small game you might want to consider a shotgun. If you're limited to just one gun for all types of hunting, a shotgun would be a good choice, and a day of trap shooting is always a good time and an excellent way of honing your moving target skills.
    I actually already own a Remington 870 and absolutely enjoy shooting trap (not half bad at it either). That said, I kind of like the idea of adding a reputable bolt rifle to my collection.

November seems like a long way away, start looking for a hunting safety course soon. You may have a difficult time finding one that's close by with convenient hours if you wait until September or October.
    Yeah, I've already started looking. It doesn't seem like there's much here in Centre county, but I don't mind traveling (my previously mentioned roommate is probably going to join me).

I found this article over at ChuckHawks.com that compares the .270 Win to the .30-06. Chuck seems to say that for game like North American deer (CXP2), the .270/130gr. combo is superior to the .30-06/150gr. combo.

Does anyone else hunt whitetail with the .270, and if so, would you recommended it as a good caliber to start hunting with?

(Berks County)

Does anyone else hunt whitetail with the .270, and if so, would you recommended it as a good caliber to start hunting with?
    .270 is a fine performing caliber, and it is essentially just a necked down .30-06. BUT...as far as ammo availability and pricing, the venerable .30-06 may be the way to go. Especially if you find you really enjoy hunting, take some trips and go for bigger game, the .30-06 gives you more room.

I personally hunt with a .308 (Ruger 77) with a Bushnell Sportview scope. Has been very good for me and I like it. The price was reasonable.

My daughter has a Savage 11 in .243, came with a Simmons scope. Everything they say about Savage rifles being good to go out of the box is true in my opinion. Very accurate and no problems. If I didn't have my Ruger already I would get a Savage. The accu-trigger is also something I like.

A friend has a Savage in .223 and another in .308, both are tack drivers, so my personal knowledge and experience with Savage is they are very good.

Either way, keep an eye out for package deals, many of the rifle manufacturers include a scope with certain rifles. Off season is the time to shop, I am already seeing a lot of deals for clothing and accessories.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Schuylkill County)

The 700sps in 270 win will carry you just fine for anything you are gonna hunt except the big bears the 270 is one of the finest big game cartridges ever developed. be shure to put good glass ontop and you can hunt anything from groundhog to moose.

(Bucks County)

The only thing I can add to what's been said is to try and shoot a few different rifles before you buy. As far as caliber goes, I think one is just as good as another. I've taken deer with three different calibers and other guys in my camp have taken deer with at least a dozen more. What it may come down to is how well the rifle fits you and how well you'll deal with the recoil of the round you're shooting.

If there's another group shoot this year in the eastern half of the state, or if I can make it to one out there at Scotia Range, I'd certainly be willing to let you shoot mine. Since the Westies get together more often, you may want to ask one of those guys if you can try their rifles the next time there's a group shoot.

(Erie County)

Well I certainly am biased on the subject but I feel the Remington 700 in .308 with a 2x7 or 3x9 may in fact just be the perfect rifle. I have one made in '65 that has helped put more than its share of venison in the freezer. My father handed it down to me around 1980 and it already had an impressive record. Since my early inheritance it has been a constant companion for rifled season and never failed to drop what I aimed it at. From 20 to some 350yrds it has done all that I've asked of it. It still has a old 2x7 Redfield scope on it and knowing my father it wasn't a $500 scope of its day. I've considered upgrading it the last few years because my eyes seem to be yearning for more light as the years go by.

As other have stated though there is no magic bullet or caliber. Shot placement is the key, what you place there is almost a distant second. I haven't had the chance to attend one of the group shoots regularly found posted on this board yet so I don't know how many hunting rifles show up. When I do go though I certainly will be bringing mine . If you can try and shoot a few of the calibers you listed and others. Finding an acceptable level of recoil for yourself and practicing with it ALOT will be a real plus once the season comes around again.

Also don't wait till November to get in the woods after deer. There are still a few hunters in the woods after deer until the 12th with muzzleloaders but come spring is a great time to start scouting for deer. Take a camera if you like. With some luck you could get some velvet shots that will make the wait till November even tougher . Also if you don't any friends that hunt either try and get them interested as well or make some new ones that do already. You'll have more fun, success and be safer out there with a partner or two.

Okay, so after doing a bunch more reading on .270 and .30-06, I think I've decided to go for the .30-06. The following paragraph is my summary of what I've read.

The selection of factory loads for the .30-06 is extremely diverse, and the same can't be said as much for the .270. Also, being about the most popular hunting cartridge in the world helps keep the .30-06 more affordable than the .270. The .30-06 can prove more versatile if I ever decide to get out and hunt bigger, thicker animals. Though the normal 130gr .270 load will have a higher velocity than a 150gr .30-06, the energy of the bullet is nearly identical out to about 300 yards (the .270 has a slight advantage here above 300 yards). Also, when zeroed at 200 yards, the 130gr .270 only shoots about three tenths of an inch (.3") flatter than the 150gr .30-06.

Do most of you agree with that summary? Perhaps I'm over-analyzing here, but what can I say, I'm an engineer. Anyways, now that I'm about satisfied with my caliber choice, I need to pick the rifle I want. I'm going to try to get out to some gun shops to see if I can find any that "just feel right".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast