Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Need some "Hunting 101" help!

I tried to warn you, don't get stuck on the numbers.

That being said, I got a Browning BLR 81 in .30-06 for pretty much all the reasons you cited, and yes, I'm an engineer so specs showing speed and power make my nipples rock hard. I too considered that along with deer, I want to hunt bear (that's just too easy, do your worst) and supposedly there are wild hogs in my hunting grounds (although Harrisburg just put the kabosh on those plans) so I wanted something that could make up for my inexperience should I ever have the opportunity to take one of these more robust critters. I'll probably never be as good a shooter as the gun specs would allow, but I figured if I ever get the time to really hunt some very large or dangerous game throughout the country, I wanted a gun that was up to the task.

I ended up with the Browning because I'm left handed, but right eye dominant so I've always done better with lever actions vs. bolt. For a .30-06 LR, the only other choice was the Winchester 1895, but I liked the Browning better.
    Last edited by str8shooter; January 10th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I tried to warn you, don't get stuck on the numbers.

That being said, I got a Browning BLR 81 in .30-06 for pretty much all the reasons you cited, and yes, I'm an engineer so specs showing speed and power make my nipples rock hard.
    I LOL'd.

ten characters

(Berks County)

Do most of you agree with that summary?
    I do.

Plus there are many more .30-06 offerings (rifles and ammo) you are bound to find a combination that works very well, and considering the popularity of the round the prices should be good also.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexington86 View Post
    Okay, so after doing a bunch more reading on .270 and .30-06, I think I've decided to go for the .30-06. The following paragraph is my summary of what I've read.

The selection of factory loads for the .30-06 is extremely diverse, and the same can't be said as much for the .270. Also, being about the most popular hunting cartridge in the world helps keep the .30-06 more affordable than the .270. The .30-06 can prove more versatile if I ever decide to get out and hunt bigger, thicker animals. Though the normal 130gr .270 load will have a higher velocity than a 150gr .30-06, the energy of the bullet is nearly identical out to about 300 yards (the .270 has a slight advantage here above 300 yards). Also, when zeroed at 200 yards, the 130gr .270 only shoots about three tenths of an inch (.3") flatter than the 150gr .30-06.

Do most of you agree with that summary? Perhaps I'm over-analyzing here, but what can I say, I'm an engineer. Anyways, now that I'm about satisfied with my caliber choice, I need to pick the rifle I want. I'm going to try to get out to some gun shops to see if I can find any that "just feel right".
    Your analysis looks dead on to me. The .30-06 will work on everything that you can hunt in PA from groundhogs to bear and elk. In your case it's one of the most versatile calibers out there and there are lots of choices of models and actions.

I've never been a big bolt action fan but I bought a Remington 700 SPS in .243 two years ago and I love it. My first deer rifle was a slide action Remington 760 carbine in .30-06 that I stupidly traded away and I wish I had back.

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    I've never been a big bolt action fan but I bought a Remington 700 SPS in .243 two years ago and I love it.
    Any thoughts on the SPS model? Likes? Dislikes?

(Bucks County)

I have read a few bad things about them on the net. There were one or two reports of troubles with accuracy but most of the complaints were about the finish. I have absolutely no complaints with mine.

I bought a .243 to use mostly as a groundhog and coyote rifle, but I wanted something I could use for deer too if I had to. I topped it with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X scope and was pleasantly surprised when it put five Federal 70 grain Nosler Balistic Tips into 5/8 of an inch at 100 yards. Later on I tried some Winchester 100 grain Power Points. The group opened up to about an inch and a half and were hitting about two inches left of where the 70 grain Noslers were. That's good enough accuracy for deer for me, especially where I hunt where I the longest shot I could possibly take is 75 yards.

I believe Remington came out with the SPS to compete with Savage. It's not a pretty rifle with its black synthetic stock and matte black finish, but mine does the job extremely well. You could spend a lot more money to get a better looking rifle but the deer won't be able to tell the difference.

Based on the experience I've had with mine, I would recommend the 700 SPS 100%.

(Erie County)

It is really just a 700ADL with a synthetic stock. The rifle's action is hard to beat. It is the basis for more police sniper rifles (in .308 I might add ) than any other. It is a factory item though and alot are made, meaning the occasionally less than ideal one is shipped. For the price however you'd be hard pressed to find better accuracy out of the box, and certainly not guaranteed. The .30-06 tends to kick more than I care for but that built in recoil pad may help with that, I've never tried one on my rifles.
    Last edited by CoyoteJack; January 10th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.

(Erie County)

As far as places to look for a gun....i think that I would make the drive to clearfield (about an hour away from SC) and visit both Grices and Bobs Army Navy. The overall selection at those stores is far superior to anything in this area and the prices are often better. That is not putting down Ports or J&E Guns, just going from my experience. Also, I have a 30-06 and I have always favored the 180gr bullets over the lighter ones. My old remington bolt action just loves them better.

(Northumberland County)

I have a simmons 3x9x40 on my marlin 30-30 got it thru sportsmans guide about 5 years ago forb around 70.00 bucks, (the price is up some now) but they are still a good buy and some walmarts carry them at a good price. I have never had a problem with it , they seem to be a very good scope for a beginner,or anyone hunting average Pa. terrain, plus you don't have to spend a lot of money to start out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast