Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable!

(Pike County)

Default Unbelievable!

Hi gun owners! I am a Florida resident with family property in PA, where I pay taxes, but do not vote! Florida is a no-tax state and I want to maintain my legal residence here. Here is my problem, I have lots of firearms, long and "short". I have found a nice .38 here in Florida I want to bring to PA. I am flying up and cannot carry it. My dealer here said all I should do is find a guy in PA with an FFL, buy here, ship there, pay the fees and everybody is happy. But NNNOOOOO! I cannot find a dealer in my area (Pike County) that will accept the weapon and transfer it to me without a PA drivers license. If I had a PA license, I would buy in PA!!! WTF is going on in this state? How can I get my weapon from FL to PA? BTW, I am card carrying "Concealed" registered in FL. (PA recognizes) A 20 Year Military Vetern and spent my time in 'Nam. I am 68 years old, educated, a former Airline Captain and good citizen. WTF do I have to do to get my little handgun from here to there?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Unbelievable!

If you just want to bring it to PA to carry while you visit (and maybe do a little target shooting), you can do it without using a FFL. If you have bought and paid for it in FL (you are a FL resident so you buy it under FL laws), you can transport it in your checked bags if you are flying (follow the airline rules for transporting a gun, really not a big deal). Or, if you are driving, you can put it in a case, with ammo separate, and put the case in the trunk or other inaccessible area of the vehicle and bring it that way. On the driving, you are covered by federal law (however, if driving do not go through NY or NJ, they don't seem to want to follow federal laws).

Once in PA you can carry concealed wih your FL concealed carry license (PA recognizes FLs license).

The FFL you contacted in FL may have misunderstood what was going on. IF you were a PA resident and were vacationing in FL and saw a handgun that you wanted to buy, you could pay for it in FL but then it would have to be shipped to a PA FFL for you to receive it (after undergoing the PA background check, state and federal paperwork and paying the transfer fee to the FFL).

In you case, you are a FL resident and bought the gun in FL following all FL laws. You can bring it to PA by the methods I outlined above. No need to get a PA FFL involved.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Fayette County)

I fly all the time with firearms.

Just go to the FAA and the airline website and they give you all the details on how to fly with firearms.

Just make sure you follow FAA rules and you will be okay.

Its really no big deal and every time I fly with firearms, I am treated with respect and my firearms are taken care of.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Would it be possible to UPS or FedEx it to your PA property and have it there waiting for you when you arrive?

If so, Just be sure to Insure the package.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    Would it be possible to UPS or FedEx it to your PA property and have it there waiting for you when you arrive?

TJB
    Check the terms of service. Generally it has to be going to or coming from an FFL. It MAY get through or, if it's inspected, it will become an issue that can be tough to be worked through. It would also have to go priority overnight which is generally pretty expensive for a firearm.

IMHO, much easier to fly with it secured in locked luggage. Just be sure that you're using an approved case that can be properly secured. I fly with my Sig frequently and, as long as I have two locks on it, there isn't an issue.

You need to read the TSA rules to fly with firearms. (In your luggage, in a "approved" lock box.) No reason you can not bring it with you. As long as your legally allowed to own, carry.
    All airlines have this info on their websites.
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Lycoming County)

"You need to read the TSA rules to fly with firearms. (In your luggage, in a "approved" lock box.)"

What he said.

I have a friend that does this frequently, in the opposite direction. Flies PA to FL carrying "short" guns in the checked-on luggage. Places them in a TSA-approved lock box. Ammo can go in the luggage without a lock box.

No problems.
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(Jefferson County)

TJB
    Legally yes.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

As stated above, your FL dealer does not know what he is talking about.

You can most certainly bring a firearm with you be it on a plane (like said above, check the airline/tsa rules), in a car, on a motorcycle or horseback as long as you follow the transportation rules that can be found all over the internet.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html
    Question #7 & #8 should be helpful to you.

(Lackawanna County)

TJB
    I don't know about the legality, but as far as company policy, here is what UPS states:

----------------------

SECTION 2: TRANSPORTING GUNS AND FIREARMS

1. Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the Title 18, Chapter 44 and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code between areas served in the U.S., but only between: (i) Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or (ii) Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    2. Upon presenting the goods for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to Carrier is required to notify Carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The outside of the package(s) must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package(s) contains a firearm. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    ITEM 780 (continued)
    PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED ARTICLES
    3. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    4. Carrier cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.
    5. Carrier will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. Loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition shall not be shipped in the same package.
    6. UPS Freight will NOT transport firearms that are legally owned by or offered for tender by or from one individual to another individual (or to themselves at another address) under any circumstances.

------------------

Based on this, it seems to me they will only ship to government entities and licensed dealers/manufacturers, and according to Section 2 article 6 they will not ship from individual to individual even if the firearm is legally owned. Technically it says from "one individual to another individual" but even if you're shipping it yourself, I'm certain you'd fall under this prohibition as well.

I'm sure FedEx has a similar policy, but I didn't check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast