Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default transporting confusion

i've been trying to find online a clear definition of the law so help me understand if i'm reading this correctly. I'm trying to understand the law on transporting a firearm through Maryland. Of course I just got my PA CC permit and as I understand the law, there is no way i would be able to on my way to another state to the south, drive through MD with my pistol even if its locked in the trunk unloaded.
    My interpretation of the law is that in MD you can't transport a handgun in a vehicle if its on private roads if you don't have a handgun carry permit. Am i reading this correctly??

(Delaware County)

Default Re: transporting confusion

Federal Law will protect you when traveling interstate.

Google FOPA

(Delaware County)

18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ly-report.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/national-11/1...transport.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...hrough-md.html

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by crzynate View Post
    i've been trying to find online a clear definition of the law so help me understand if i'm reading this correctly. I'm trying to understand the law on transporting a firearm through Maryland. Of course I just got my PA CC permit and as I understand the law, there is no way i would be able to on my way to another state to the south, drive through MD with my pistol even if its locked in the trunk unloaded.
    My interpretation of the law is that in MD you can't transport a handgun in a vehicle if its on private roads if you don't have a handgun carry permit. Am i reading this correctly??
    Did you mean 'public' roads? If so you are correct that MD Criminal code 4-203 prohibits such transportation unless licensed by MD or meeting one of MD's exceptions (repair, range, etc).

BimmerJon gave you everything you need to know about FOPA transport THROUGH MD. If you comport with 926A then MD law would, in effect, be tolled during your trip.
    IANAL