Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question HELP! With Captive Quail Hunting In PA

Hey all,

Was planning on buying some captive raised quail, taking them to some land and releasing them to get the GSP on them. I was under the impression that captive raised quail could be released and hunted on game lands, public, or private land so long as you have a permit.

In looking on the PAGC website, I can not find this specific verbiage, but I did find it on an archery forum...

HELP! Is it legal?
    PAGC
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=576240&mode=2
    Forum
    http://archery.biz/pennsylvania/hunting-seasons.shtml

Obviously I would want to believe the PAGC site before the forum, but there is no mention of captive raised bird laws on the website that I can find. Is someone's google fu stronger today?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: HELP! With Captive Quail Hunting In PA

I've seen people release Chukars on game lands and train their dogs.

I did find this, it was a press release from 2009. I would think it still pertains today but it might be best to call your regional office to make sure

RELEASE OF CAPTIVE GAME BIRDS APPROVED FOR SGLS
    Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe today signed an executive order to authorize
    hunters and dog trainers to release captive-raised/captive-bred ring-necked pheasants, bobwhite quail, chukar
    partridges and rock pigeons on State Game Lands for hunting or dog-training purposes.
    Under the executive order, such releases could be done by licensed hunters or those possessing a valid dog trial
    permit. Exceptions to the order are during the month of October, unless the activity is done with a valid dog
    trial permit, when such releases will be prohibited.
    Roe noted that hunters must abide by established bag limits if birds are released during established seasons for
    pheasants or quail, unless the activity is being conducted as part of a permitted field dog trial. Outside of the
    established seasons for pheasants and quail, only individuals who possess a dog training permit may release
    them.