Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Awesome LE encounter in Vermont!

Hey all. I know I don't post much anymore since moving, but I thought I'd share this.

A few weeks ago, I went out to the range. I don't do that much anymore, considering that ammo is expensive and my wife and I are poor. Anyway, after I was done, I went home and was really hungry, so I left a couple of guns in the car, planning on cleaning them the next day. Fast forward to about midnight. I realized that I had no milk, and would want some for my cereal in the morning. So I get in my car and head to the store (gotta love 24 hour grocery stores!). So I come to the end of a little street and make a right onto Route 7. Just as I'm shifting into second, I realize two things: First, I forgot to use my turn signal. Second, I recognize the headlights of a police interceptor behind me. Crap. Sure enough, as I get into the left lane and turn left (being careful to use my turn signal this time), his lights come on. So, I pull into an empty parking lot, crack my window, and shut off the car. That's when I came to a third realization: The guns! I look around. There is a Romanian WASR-10 lying on the back seat, a Ruger Mark II and a borrowed Beretta 92 on the passenger's seat, and of course, my 1911 on my hip.

Crap.

So I put my hands on the wheel, and wait. I watch my sideview as the cop approaches. He's a young guy, probably in his twenties. When he reaches the back window, he stops, shining his light on my AK. Then he continues to the driver window and says...

LEO: Good evening (He also identified himself, but since the incident, I've forgotten his name.)
    Me: Don't freak out or anything, I was at the range earlier.
    LEO: It's okay, just tell me what you have in the car.
    Me: Well, there's a rifle in the back, a .22 and a 9mm next to me, and I'm carrying a .45 on my right hip.
    LEO: Ok, no big deal. Do you know why I stopped you?
    Me: I believe so, because I forgot to use a turn signal turning on to route 7.
    LEO: You got it. Can I see your license, registration, and proof of insurance, please?
    Me: Sure, it's in the glove box... Do you mind?
    LEO: Nah, go ahead.
    While I am thumbing through papers glove box, he actually chats me up a bit. He mentions the nice weather tonight, and asks how often I go to range. I find my info and hand it over. He runs my info from his car and returns about 5 minutes later with a warning.
    LEO: Here's your paperwork back. I did write you a warning, it's obvious you just made a mistake. Have a nice night and remember to use your turn signal.
    Me: Thank you, sir. Drive safe.

Just the way it should be... The PA cops should spend a year in VT and learn from our cops...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Awesome LE encounter in Vermont!

"Crap" is right ! Wow were you lucky ! That was an awesome encounter & kudos to the LEO for the way he handled it,however I wouldn't want to push my luck a 2nd time,haha.
    He really pulled you over for not using a turn signal ? I can't say that happens a lot around here
    Jesus is Lord !

(Montgomery County)

Very good Leo encounter given the circumstances. Thanks for sharing!

Very good encounter. I lived in Vermont for 17 years and never got pulled over. You have all the luck. Always used to carry, kept one in the car at all times. It's not so bad here in Pa, got the LTCF real fast and the law let's you carry just about anywhere.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

Late night the police look for drunks, the turn signal was a justification for a quick stop to check to see if your speech is slurred and they can detect the odor of alcohol. Nice to see Law enforcement doing it right.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Pike County)

Dude!!! What the heck!!!

Man eats his morning cereal with beer, not with milk!

p.s. Cool encounter, though!

Je suis déplorable

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Late night the police look for drunks, the turn signal was a justification for a quick stop to check to see if your speech is slurred and they can detect the odor of alcohol. Nice to see Law enforcement doing it right.
    That's kind of what I figured... We were like the only two cars on the road... I think he was bored.

After being harassed in PA for carrying, it was nice to see a cop doing his job--no more, and no less.

(Luzerne County)

How would you feel if he wrote you a citation?

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    Hey all. I know I don't post much anymore since moving, but I thought I'd share this.

A few weeks ago, I went out to the range. I don't do that much anymore, considering that ammo is expensive and my wife and I are poor. Anyway, after I was done, I went home and was really hungry, so I left a couple of guns in the car, planning on cleaning them the next day. Fast forward to about midnight. I realized that I had no milk, and would want some for my cereal in the morning. So I get in my car and head to the store (gotta love 24 hour grocery stores!). So I come to the end of a little street and make a right onto Route 7. Just as I'm shifting into second, I realize two things: First, I forgot to use my turn signal. Second, I recognize the headlights of a police interceptor behind me. Crap. Sure enough, as I get into the left lane and turn left (being careful to use my turn signal this time), his lights come on. So, I pull into an empty parking lot, crack my window, and shut off the car. That's when I came to a third realization: The guns! I look around. There is a Romanian WASR-10 lying on the back seat, a Ruger Mark II and a borrowed Beretta 92 on the passenger's seat, and of course, my 1911 on my hip.

Crap.

So I put my hands on the wheel, and wait. I watch my sideview as the cop approaches. He's a young guy, probably in his twenties. When he reaches the back window, he stops, shining his light on my AK. Then he continues to the driver window and says...

LEO: Good evening (He also identified himself, but since the incident, I've forgotten his name.)
    Me: Don't freak out or anything, I was at the range earlier.
    LEO: It's okay, just tell me what you have in the car.
    Me: Well, there's a rifle in the back, a .22 and a 9mm next to me, and I'm carrying a .45 on my right hip.
    LEO: Ok, no big deal. Do you know why I stopped you?
    Me: I believe so, because I forgot to use a turn signal turning on to route 7.
    LEO: You got it. Can I see your license, registration, and proof of insurance, please?
    Me: Sure, it's in the glove box... Do you mind?
    LEO: Nah, go ahead.
    While I am thumbing through papers glove box, he actually chats me up a bit. He mentions the nice weather tonight, and asks how often I go to range. I find my info and hand it over. He runs my info from his car and returns about 5 minutes later with a warning.
    LEO: Here's your paperwork back. I did write you a warning, it's obvious you just made a mistake. Have a nice night and remember to use your turn signal.
    Me: Thank you, sir. Drive safe.

Just the way it should be... The PA cops should spend a year in VT and learn from our cops...
    Just for the record, if a cop asks you why he stopped you, never admit your wrong doing.

It is admission of guilt, he'll write it in the comments section of the ticket, and your chance of winning in court goes down to about zero.

So:

Cop: "Know why i stopped you?"
    You: "No sir, i do not."

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Just for the record, if a cop asks you why he stopped you, never admit your wrong doing.

It is admission of guilt, he'll write it in the comments section of the ticket, and your chance of winning in court goes down to about zero.

So:

Cop: "Know why i stopped you?"
    You: "No sir, i do not."
    True, but I take that chance for small traffic violations... It seems to increase my chances of getting a warning instead of a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    How would you feel if he wrote you a citation?
    Not happy about the citation, but still very pleased with his conduct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast