Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SR1911 exists!

(Chester County)

Default SR1911 exists!

Got the call yesterday. The SR1911 I've been waiting for since the beginning of Nov. came in. Price stayed the same, $675 (before tax and paperwork). Came with one 7rd mag and one 8rd, dissasembly tool, and the standard Ruger pistol case. (And of course the mandatory lock to keep me from protecting myself)

Fit and finish are precise with no machine tooling marks that were rumored to be the cause of Ruger's delay in production. If they really were the cause then they aren't an issue now. I couldn't resist shooting it and after cleaning the packing oil out of the barrel I put 50 rounds of federal and 100 rounds of Remington, both target ball, and almost another 50 rounds of golden sabre through it with no FTF and only 1 FTE. And the FTE occurred when I was making sure it operated properly with no mag inserted, it did but the brass just kind of jumped around the ejection port and fell back in.
    Accuracy was awesome, no other way to put it. The sights were dead on and the SR was a real tack driver with no noticeable difference between ammo types. My dad shot it as well and, at 67, he needed his reading glasses to see the sights but that left the target out of focus. He landed shot after shot center of mass (10yds) with only me telling him where he hit as a reference. He said he wanted one as well, guess it makes him nostalgic of his days in the Marines.

I'll load pics as soon as I can, my tablet won't do it for some reason. Although gun pics are like baby pics, we all know what they look like and don't care unless it's our own. But I want to brag dammit!
    Last edited by silkworm; March 3rd, 2012 at 12:21 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: SR1911 exists!

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    Although gun lice are like baby pics, we all know what they look like and don't care unless it's our own. But I want to brag dammit!
    And nobody here will fault you for it... We all have the gun disease.

Thumbs up Re: SR1911 exists!

Congrats! I figured someone would locate Bigfoot before another SR1911 became available.

(Blair County)

Price seems a little high, but I suppose demand drives price-- and the gun's worth whatever you're happy paying for it. I'd have probably jumped on it.

Congrats!

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: SR1911 exists!

Congratulations on finding an SR1911 in PA. I gave up waiting last month and ordered one from Riverview Gun Sales in East Windsor, CT. Cost $669 plus $20 shipping and $25 transfer at my FFL (no sales tax). Received it in two days after placing the order. Found out about Riverview from posts on Rugerforum.com. They seem to have a direct connection with Ruger and get in at least 25, SR1911's per shipment on a regular basis. For anyone interested: http://www.riverviewsales.net/

(Chester County)

Finally got it to work. Hadn't cleaned it yet when I snapped the pic, but that seems to make it look sexier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    The SR1911 I've been waiting for since the beginning of Nov. came in. I couldn't resist shooting it
    Now why would you want to do this???
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I'm going to wait 3-4 years to get mine. If the vamped up production rumor is true there should be a lot of 'em out there by then....haha

ditto on the SR1911, we both paid on the high end for ours, there are some here that report $525 before taxs. But like you I'm happy wityh mines and it seems that you are to. I feel the same way about it once the ramp up and begining selling more or them I think this will be one of their best selling guns in Rugers history. Even with all the forigen competition.

(Lawrence County)

A question for those that think the price is a little high, what do you think is a better 1911 for under $700? I paid $688 before taxes for mine and would do it again in a heartbeat. My BIL bought a Springfield Mil-Spec around the same time I bought the Ruger and paid a little over $700 for it. I like my Ruger much better, nicer sights, beavertail grip safety, way better trigger and 100% made in the USA!

OP, does yours have any slide to frame play in it? Mine has a little bit you can notice if you grab the back of the slide and wiggle it side to side but it doesn't seem too bad. The only other thing I noticed was the frame machining around the grip safety isn't perfect but it isn't near as bad as pictures I've seen of some earlier ones.

I only put a couple of magazines through mine so far but it is more accurate than I am, I'm not a great shot with a pistol though so I don't know how good or bad it is. I've been trying to get Lycan to shoot it and get his opinion but I don't think he likes guns anymore, or maybe he's a Hi-Point snob now, lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast