Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Taurus 709 vs Ruger LC9

I'm considering getting a slim concealable summer carry weapon. I held the LC9 and it felt fairly good for a small gun. I have seen the Taurus and it looks like a nice gun too.

I know I may catch flack for this but I did not like the Glock 26 at all. I found it uncomfortable to even hold in my hand.

I'm just curious as to what you guys and gals experiences are with the 709 or the LC9.

Default Re: Taurus 709 vs Ruger LC9

Quote Originally Posted by innocent75 View Post
    I'm considering getting a slim concealable summer carry weapon. I held the LC9 and it felt fairly good for a small gun. I have seen the Taurus and it looks like a nice gun too.

I know I may catch flack for this but I did not like the Glock 26 at all. I found it uncomfortable to even hold in my hand.

I'm just curious as to what you guys and gals experiences are with the 709 or the LC9.

456 - I would say that those two guns are small step up from Kel tec P11 9mm they are almost the same size maybe a little heavier and more accurate then 15 yards. Now the Kahar 9/40s are cream the top in this category imho.

The Ruger is nicer, but the Kahr CW9 is even nicer still.

(Lebanon County)

I'll have to look at the Kahr as well. I looked at a ruger and it seemed to feel good. I have a Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm I carry a lot, but something easier to conceal in a t shirt sounds good to me. Plus I need to be able to " justify" a new pistol.

I did want to clear up my statement about glock pistols. I have shot some full sized glocks and they were very nice... Felt good in hand, shot good. I just don't care for their subcompacts in MY hand.

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the gun shop. It'll be tough but someone has to do it

(Northampton County)

Back in October I tested the Taurus PT709 vs the Kel Tec PF9, and it was really no contest as the Taurus won in every way except price. See post #26:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/11...im-page-3.html

I only mention this comparison because in the April 2011 edition of Gun Tests they put the Kel Tec PF9 and the Ruger LC9 head to head. They determined the winner was the PF9, stating:
    "In short, the new Ruger did what Kel-Tec designed it to do, but didn’t do it as well as Kel-Tec, in our opinion. We gave the Ruger a C because it’s heavier, thicker, harder to shoot well, and a third-again more costly than the other gun."

I've never personally shot the Ruger, but after reading Gun Test's review I have a tough time believing the Taurus wouldn't come out ahead in a 709 vs LC9 comparison. Having put a number of rounds through the aforementioned Kahr CW9, I think the 709 is a better choice than that as well. The Taurus seems better built, is easier to conceal, and has a better trigger IMO. The trigger pull on the Taurus is shorter, crisper, and more predictable . . . which lead to me shooting tighter groups with the Taurus.

I think you'd probably get by fine with any of them, but the 709 would certainly be my choice of the cheap subcompact polymer 9mm's.
    Last edited by BionicMan; July 8th, 2011 at 01:45 PM.

(Northumberland County)

I wouldnt trust my life with a Taurus, I do everyday with a Ruger. You will find more people choose the LC9 over the 709 for CC.

(Westmoreland County)

Ruger > Taurus on any day that ends in Y IMO
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

I would just stick with a PF9 and call it good.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Lebanon County)

Talking Re: Taurus 709 vs Ruger LC9

My considering getting a sub compact 9 mm now changed to got a new subcompact. I looked at a kahr, Taurus 709, and the ruger lc9. I brought home the ruger. It just felt good in hand, pocket, and iwb holster.

I was just going to look and ended up buying. Much like many on my gun shop trips. Haha

Hopefully I'll get to the range tomorrow. Getting dark now but tempted to shoot buy headlights. I'll post again after I shoot a few. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice. I look forward to posting more on here.

Quote Originally Posted by innocent75 View Post
    My considering getting a sub compact 9 mm now changed to got a new subcompact. I looked at a kahr, Taurus 709, and the ruger lc9. I brought home the ruger. It just felt good in hand, pocket, and iwb holster.

I was just going to look and ended up buying. Much like many on my gun shop trips. Haha

Hopefully I'll get to the range tomorrow. Getting dark now but tempted to shoot buy headlights. I'll post again after I shoot a few. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice. I look forward to posting more on here.
    I'd like to see a range report with pics...
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast