Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Denial upheld then reversed

Hey guys,

Two months ago I tried to purchase a firearm and was denied. I sent in the contest form and a week later I received a letter stating that the denial still stands. Ten years ago I was arrested for criminal trespass. We snuck into a train yard and got caught and charged. I actually contacted a member here on the forum to represent me in trying to get a pardon from the governor. Well as I save up money I check the mail today and see a letter from the pa state police. I'm baffled and wondering what its about. Well I open it and it's a letter stating that it is in reference to the same contest form and it is a reversal letter. The first letter from them was sent to me in may this one was sent June 28th.

I have no idea what is going on. Did they initially make a mistake with the original denial or is the reversal a mistake. I sort of don't want to dig too deep and ask because who knows, maybe they will see they messed up and reverse my reversal.

Any thoughts guys?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Denial upheld then reversed

I think there is a phone number for PICS that you can call to verify the status of a challenge. I'm kinda limited on what I can look up at the moment.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

I had an issue like this a few months ago. I was initially denied, called and spoke with Stephanie Ogden at 717-705-4544. She was very professional and helpful (even with me calling her a few times a day). I faxed some paperwork to her stating the status of my record and within a week I was good to go.

IMHO, call her and get this cleared up pronto instead of worrying about it. Good luck.

Ok quick update
    First thx plaid for the number, I called and steph too two minutes to explain to me what happened. Basically by law they have five days to send out an initial letter. So when they first pull your record they make a quick decision and send it out. By law they then have to pull the court records. They review it and make a more in depth decision based on the full facts etc. This is why mine was initially upheld then reversed. Hopefully others who may have a similar situation can read this and get some clarity.

So as it stands I am free to purchase firearms. I am going today to purchase a sidearm and shotgun for the house. I am also putting in the application to carry. Thx to everyone that helped me.

Just got back from running a few errands, and the gun shop. Purchased a nice .40cal Sig p229. After holding pretty much every gun in 9mm and .40cal in their shop the sig just felt right. I have pretty big meat chops for hands and the fact that my pinky wasnt secure on some of the handguns just didn't feel good. Some of them my pinky was completely off. I did like the sig 220 but it just didnt feel as nice as the 229. The only thing I have to do now is get a holster for it. It didnt even fit in most of the holsters. They had two that it did, one was huge and cumbersome, the other was a medium size similar to what police officers use. I have some time before my cc permit comes so its not a huge deal.

So tomorrow I plan on going to the range. I am also going to inquire about classes, to try to get familiar with everything and a bit more comfortable.

Next I plan on getting a Mosberg for the house, and then maybe a glock 26 for cc. I put in my application for that today as well.
    Last edited by RussianDave; July 8th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by resp View Post
    Just got back from running a few errands, and the gun shop. Purchased a nice .40cal Sig p229. After holding pretty much every gun in 9mm and .40cal in their shop the sig just felt right. I have pretty big meat chops for hands and the fact that my pinky wasnt secure on some of the handguns just didn't feel good. Some of them my pinky was completely off. I did like the sig 220 but it just didnt feel as nice as the 229. The only thing I have to do now is get a holster for it. It didnt even fit in most of the holsters. They had two that it did, one was huge and cumbersome, the other was a medium size similar to what police officers use. I have some time before my cc permit comes so its not a huge deal.

So tomorrow I plan on going to the range. I am also going to inquire about classes, to try to get familiar with everything and a bit more comfortable.

Next I plan on getting a Mosberg for the house, and then maybe a glock 26 for cc. I put in my application for that today as well.
    You put in an application for what today? You dont need to put in an application to buy firearms.

As for holsters, for Open Carry I recommend DeSantes Speed Scabbard and for Concealed Carry I can recomment DeSantes Pro Stealth and Crossbreed Supertuck.

DeSantes Speed Scabbard

Very comfortable. Very Quick Access. Trigger guard completely covered. Retention screw works very well for retention. Wearing this holster feels like I am carrying nothing. My favorite Holster.

DeSantes Pro-Stealth

Nothing Fancy, but does it's job as a Concealed Carry holster. Also holds a apsare magazine.

hey byb thx for the advice. the application was to carry, i have already purchased the sig.

im not sure how comfortable the sig would be inside my pants, ill probably opt for a holster that sits on the outside. ill look into the ones you suggested for sure. the ones they had at the gun shop didnt fit, sans two, like i mentioned

thanks again everyone

(Jefferson County)

With that letter, be sure to make copies of it and to store the original in safe keeping.

Take a copy with you each time you buy a gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

(Highlight mine)
    Good move on taking a class.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Montgomery County)

hey byb thx for the advice. the application was to carry, i have already purchased the sig.

im not sure how comfortable the sig would be inside my pants, ill probably opt for a holster that sits on the outside. ill look into the ones you suggested for sure. the ones they had at the gun shop didnt fit, sans two, like i mentioned

thanks again everyone
    I see youre in Levittown. My previous neighborhood. I recommend you take a trip down to Pistol People in Bensalem. It's right on State rd. Not very far and the owner Steve will give you a decent half hour introduction to Firearms free of charge. Highly, highly recommend you take the trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast