Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CT LASER GRIPS

(Allegheny County)

Default CT LASER GRIPS

So this is my first post...I havnt introduced myself yet...I heard about PFOADF from a friend at the range, and I have a feeling Ill be spending some time here.

I have a new Kimber Ultra TLE II...Im thinking of putting some CT LG on it, but wanted to ask to see other experiences. On a smaller gripped 1911s, what are some of the pros and cons of LGs? Ive only shot with them on the standard full size...I think with the proper training, they could be an asset.

These are the ones Im looking at:

CRIMSON TRACE LASER GRIPS
    Hopeful the "link" works. Found a new site Im interest in too, if you have any experience with tacticalgearsuperstore.com, let me know. Usually use opticsplanet

Look forward to some opinions...

Dave

(Northampton County)

Default Re: CT LASER GRIPS

I say go for it. I have them on my 5" 1911 and LOVE them. They really tightened up my groups, and having both eyes open for peripheral vision is always a plus. I recently put a set of them on my new 3" revolver as well and shot a 1.25" group the first time out with the gun.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/14...-3-review.html

The huge bummer for you is that the $50 rebate offer just ended on June 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbercollector View Post
    I think with the proper training, they could be an asset.

Well, yes and no.

Lasers were designed for training, to teach shooters how to properly sight in their pistols. The main thing that you need to learn about your sights is how to use your front and rear sights correctly. In my opinion (and I'm sure the flames will follow), lasers do not belong on a defensive handgun. Way too many negatives associated with the use of lasers on a defensive sidearm.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Well, yes and no.

Lasers were designed for training, to teach shooters how to properly sight in their pistols. The main thing that you need to learn about your sights is how to use your front and rear sights correctly. In my opinion (and I'm sure the flames will follow), lasers do not belong on a defensive handgun. Way too many negatives associated with the use of lasers on a defensive sidearm.
    I'm sure there were times when people said that about lights on pistols, rifles and shotguns too. (Some still do)

I have a CT LG on my Ruger LCP, i love it.

But i like it better than the grip mounted CT units. Being a lefty my hands kind of interfere with the beam on the CT grip mounted units.

(York County)

I have the CT Grip Laser on my Sig P229 40 S&W/357 . There are definite
    advantages to the laser. Knowing how to properly use the laser is just
    as important. Crimson Trace(www.crimsontrace.com), offers a free DVD
    in the implementation and tactics of using the laser. I am sure it will answer
    most of the questions you have. plus being a great training aid.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Montgomery County)

Well, yes and no.

I both agree and disagree with this. I believe that no laser is a substitute for learning how to properly shoot by using the front and back sights. But I also feel that there are defensive situations that one will not have access to their sights, hence why some people practice point shooting. For example, obsticles to where one may have to shoot under, over, around items may make it impossible to line up a shot with the sights or expose too much of the victim's body.

When one buys a CT laser, they usually get a DVD with it that expalins this in more detail. Although, I'm sure their main reason for this is to try and sell their products, what they're saying does make sense.
    Last edited by JasonK007; July 8th, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I'm sure there were times when people said that about lights on pistols, rifles and shotguns too. (Some still do)
    Yep, I'm one of those people too.

Well, yes and no.

The USN SEALs, along with countless other elite military and SWAT units obviously completely disagree with you.

(Cambria County)

In the above post are comments about "point & shoot" & "training".
    The laser is great for training !
    If you want to learn to point & shoot, practice with a laser. Point the gun at the target without using any sights, then activate the laser to see where you are pointing. This will save you a hell of a lot of ammo learning to do it. The other method that I have used is wait for fresh snow to practice. This method does not work well in July.
    Lasers are great for dry firing. You can improve your double action trigger stroke with a laser and some snap caps. Trigger over-travel becomes very noticable with this method. Again you will save ammo while seeing the effect your trigger finger is having on the point of impact.
    Last edited by Rodolfo Fierro; July 9th, 2011 at 07:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast