Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Talking Philadelphia LTCF 20 DAYS!

I applied for my permit to carry on 6/8/2011. I got home from work yesterday and my approval letter was waiting for me in the mail. So that is 20 Business Days (28 full days), I have heard so many bad things about PPD Gun permit unit and I had a really good experience. I even forgot one of my proof of address and the Detective let me finish all my paperwork and fax her the second proof of address when I got to work. Maybe I'm lucky, but I thought the overall experience was pretty good considering all the negative comments I hear. But I don't want to speak too soon, I am leaving work earlier to go pick up my LTCF today.

This is my first time posting, hopefully in the future I cant post more with some OPEN CARRY stories, I have been reading this forum for a while and want to start using some of the knowledge I have acquired.

Default Re: Philadelphia LTCF 20 DAYS!

Congrats!

(Lancaster County)

Yep, that's the Philly gun unit for ya, they'd feed you a shit sandwich, tell you it's candy and that you should be happy to have it.

Most other places in the state you get your LTCF much faster than that with a lot less hassle, even though you think it was a good experience.

Congrats on getting it, but I wouldn't really consider 28 days to be good.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Okay, So i spoke too soon. When I went to pick up my license, they had a paper with "rules" or "guidelines" not sure. But they wanted me to sign the paper. look at NUMBER 1. I thought Pennsylvania was a "no need to inform state" well this paper they make you sign says different. And I brought it up to the officer at the office and she said "It was for the officer and your own safety" Well I told her I did not want to sign the paper. She said you have to sign it or you do not get your license. I hand wrote a letter stating I'm sign this paper under protest and distress. but any way... what are your thoughts on this paper? is it legal??

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/philapg2.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/philapg1.jpg/
    Last edited by DocFaze; July 7th, 2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: add picture

(Lancaster County)

Yep, how's that shit sandwich?

Their form as I understand it isn't legal, but then the PPD do a lot of things that aren't legal.

If you sign it, and then you don't inform, they'll pull your LTCF under the character clause. If you don't sign their illegal requirement, they won't issue you LTCF.

I'm sure they'll be other along to explain things in more detail.

Philly sucks.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DocFaze View Post
    Okay, So i spoke too soon. When I went to pick up my license, they had a paper with "rules" or "guidelines" not sure. But they wanted me to sign the paper. look at NUMBER 1. I thought Pennsylvania was a "no need to inform state" well this paper they make you sign says different. And I brought it up to the officer at the office and she said "It was for the officer and your own safety" Well I told her I did not want to sign the paper. She said you have to sign it or you do not get your license. I hand wrote a letter stating I'm sign this paper under protest and distress. but any way... what are your thoughts on this paper? is it legal??

I would laugh at them, not sign it and then place a call to my lawyer

Half the things on that sheet are FLAT OUT LIES

Why do you people agree and sign this crap? WHY?
    Last edited by BimmerJon; July 7th, 2011 at 11:08 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    I would laugh at them, not sign it and then place a call to my lawyer

Half the things on that sheet are FLAT OUT LIES

Why do you people agree and sign this crap? WHY?
    I told them I refuse to sign it, they told me "I refuse to give you your permit"

(Bucks County)

I applied for my permit to carry on 6/8/2011. I got home from work yesterday and my approval letter was waiting for me in the mail. So that is 20 Business Days (28 full days), I have heard so many bad things about PPD Gun permit unit and I had a really good experience. I even forgot one of my proof of address and the Detective let me finish all my paperwork and fax her the second proof of address when I got to work. Maybe I'm lucky, but I thought the overall experience was pretty good considering all the negative comments I hear. But I don't want to speak too soon, I am leaving work earlier to go pick up my LTCF today.

That shoulda been your first hint...a drivers license is all that is required to prove an address.

I would have crossed off at least #1, 6, 11, 12 and 19 before signing it...

(Northampton County)

I told them I refuse to sign it, they told me "I refuse to give you your permit"
    Unfortunately, those are the hoops that you have to run through for a LTCF in filthydelphia.

Statutorily speaking, the sheriff is the one who is supposed to do the background checks everywhere except Philly, where you apply to the "chief of police". (18 PA C.S. § 6109 (b) )

The form should only be the form issued by the PSP. Unfortunately I can't find it on their website, and the applications vary from county to county, so the word "uniform" is apparently loosely applied.

The interesting part is here:
    Quote Originally Posted by 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109
    (d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--The sheriff to whom the application is made shall:
    (1) investigate the applicant's record of criminal conviction;
    (2) investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
    (3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
    (4) investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms); and
    (5) conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency and mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to sale or transfer of firearms), receive a unique approval number for that inquiry and record the date and number on the application.
    That's what they have to investigate, and unfortunately part (3) there is very open to interpretation, which is why is doesn't belong (that's the general tenor of the boards) and should be removed. It's a loophole that allows the Philadelphia gun unit to give you the run around, and get away with ridiculous reasons to deny/revoke. It's also the same language as 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 (e)(1). Because not signing a piece of paper is clearly "acting in a manner dangerous to public safety"

(Berks County)

Just be happy you got it without them finding out you stole a pack of gum from the store back in grade school...because that would have disqualified you for life...at least in Killadelphia.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast