Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default FL all-state reciprocity????

Someone on a NY board found this:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/.../0790.015.html

Seems to imply something different than what I've read anywhere else, but it's from the FL state legislature...

Thoughts?

Default Re: FL all-state reciprocity????

Only applies if the person has a permit from their home state. If you have a non-resident permit you are not covered.

My (non-resident) Utah permit is no good in FL since I am a MD resident, But I do have a FL non-resident permit.

(York County)

Right from the Florida Division of Licensing:

Senate Bill 954, passed by the Florida Legislature and signed into law by Governor Bush in April 1999, allows residents from other states who are licensed to carry concealed weapons/firearms to carry their weapons in Florida. The one provision, however, is that those other states must be willing to recognize and honor concealed weapon or firearm licenses issued by the State of Florida so that Florida licensees enjoy the same rights and benefits when they travel to those other states.
    Source: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/legislation.html

And from the reciprocity page:

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
    Alabama (1,3,5)
    Alaska (1)
    Arizona (6)
    Arkansas (1)
    Colorado (1,4)
    Delaware
    Georgia (1)
    Idaho (3,6)
    Indiana (1,3,6)
    Iowa (6)
    Kansas (1)
    Kentucky
    Louisiana (1)
    Michigan (1,4)
    Mississippi (1)
    Missouri
    Montana (3)
    Nebraska (1)
    New Hampshire (1,3,4,6)
    New Mexico (1)
    North Carolina (1)
    North Dakota (3,6)
    Ohio (1)
    Oklahoma (1)
    Pennsylvania (1,6)
    South Carolina (1,4,6)
    South Dakota (1,3)
    Tennessee (1,6)
    Texas (1,3,6)
    Utah (1,6)
    Vermont (2)
    Virginia (1,6)
    Washington (1,6)
    West Virginia (1)
    Wyoming (1,3)
    Source: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

The actual code you linked:

790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.—
    (1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a resident of the United States who is a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:
    (a) Is 21 years of age or older; and
    (b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.
    (2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.
    (3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.
    Last edited by armatum; July 5th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.

Lifetime NRA, SAF, and GOA Member | PAFOA, FOAC, and MSI Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by backnblack View Post
    Only applies if the person has a permit from their home state. If you have a non-resident permit you are not covered.
    I'm trying to figure this out from a NY perspective. I have a resident permit of my home state (NY) but there is no reciprocity agreement between NY and <anyone>. 790.015 says that I can carry in FL using my NY license. But other links, such as were shown by the poster after you, imply that a NY license would not work in FL.

Interestingly enough, the reciprocity listing linked by the poster below you specifically cites 790.015, which is the statute I linked in the OP. I'm trying to find where in the law reciprocity is further defined, as the way it is currently implemented does not seem to jive with 790.015.
    Last edited by OwnTheRide; July 5th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by armatum View Post
    The actual code you linked:
    Any idea whether "this section" is part (3) or all of 790.015?

edit: ahhh, 790.XXX is a "section", the enumerated areas are sub-sections. Mystery solved.
    Last edited by OwnTheRide; July 5th, 2011 at 05:36 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    I'm trying to figure this out from a NY perspective. I have a resident permit of my home state (NY) but there is no reciprocity agreement between NY and <anyone>. 790.015 says that I can carry in FL using my NY license. But other links, such as were shown by the poster after you, imply that a NY license would not work in FL.

Interestingly enough, the reciprocity listing linked by the poster below you specifically cites 790.015, which is the statute I linked in the OP. I'm trying to find where in the law reciprocity is further defined, as the way it is currently implemented does not jive with 790.015.
    790.015 soes not say you can carry in Flordia with a New York license.

Interestingly enough, the reciprocity listing linked by the poster below you specifically cites 790.015, which is the statute I linked in the OP. I'm trying to find where in the law reciprocity is further defined, as the way it is currently implemented does not seem to jive with 790.015.
    Florida will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

(York County)

Any idea whether "this section" is part (3) or all of 790.015?

edit: ahhh, 790.XXX is a "section", the enumerated areas are sub-sections. Mystery solved.
    Looks like you got it? But I pasted the entire content of the link provided by the OP. The third part specifically states the home state must accept FL licenses - which NY apparently does not.

Lifetime NRA, SAF, and GOA Member | PAFOA, FOAC, and MSI Contributor

(Delaware County)

Here it is in a nutshell:

The one provision, however, is that those other states must be willing to recognize and honor concealed weapon or firearm licenses issued by the State of Florida
    SO, in summary, if your home state honors the Florida license, then Florida will honor your home state license.

(Bucks County)

I'm trying to figure this out from a NY perspective. I have a resident permit of my home state (NY) but there is no reciprocity agreement between NY and <anyone>. .

Just a side note...while NY does not have reciprocity with anyone...{that is because NY honors nobody else's permit} the NY permit is honored in about a dozen other states...those being the states that honor all other permits.

New York