Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Replacement wood stock

I have an old Stevens 20 gauge that was my grandmothers in great shape except for the stock which is split and no longer usable. Is there anybody that makes replacements? I haven't been able to find anybody.

It's split almost perfectly in half and you could I assume, make a copy of it I just find anybody that does such a thing. Any ideas?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Replacement wood stock

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    I have an old Stevens 20 gauge that was my grandmothers in great shape except for the stock which is split and no longer usable. Is there anybody that makes replacements? I haven't been able to find anybody.

It's split almost perfectly in half and you could I assume, make a copy of it I just find anybody that does such a thing. Any ideas?
    I would look for a custom cabinetmaker - they might be able to guide you in the right direction. Being a "advanced hobbyist" Id take something like that on myself. Really not any different that fine furniture in my opinion... but knowing the "secrets" is worth its weight in gold.

Ive also seen several folks at various gun shows that specialize in this area. Lastly,, if its a simple split, you might try gorilla glue (of course youll also need to properly clamp the stock) and possibly re-finish the stock afterwards.

Check for upcoming local gun shows and look for a cabinetmaker... If your a DIY'er you can search Amazon for a decent book on stock making as well.

Ha I'm definitely not a DIY'er. I have already tried to glue the stock together but this old girl kicks quite a bit for a 20ga and always ends up breaking the glue. I'm not sure what kind of wood the original was made out of but what kind of wood would (lol) make a good replacement?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    ... but what kind of wood would (lol) make a good replacement?
    Really depends on your taste. Whomever is going to tackle this for you can recommend appropriate stock for the stock.

(Allegheny County)

Try a repair again. This time use good wood glue and clamps are a must. Properly glued wood using clamps will be stronger than the wood itself.
    You could also (if possible) drill holes along the inside of the split and insert a few dial rods to help hold the split closed. You could also (as a last resort) screw and glue the split from the outside and plug the screw holes with some similar wood to help hide the repair. If you have a picture, upload it, it will help with a recommendation.
    Toujours prêt

(Lancaster County)

what model is it? I know that boyds makes direct replacement stocks for the old stevens 311A

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Try a repair again. This time use good wood glue and clamps are a must. Properly glued wood using clamps will be stronger than the wood itself.
    You could also (if possible) drill holes along the inside of the split and insert a few dial rods to help hold the split closed. You could also (as a last resort) screw and glue the split from the outside and plug the screw holes with some similar wood to help hide the repair. If you have a picture, upload it, it will help with a recommendation.
    Well the shop my father sent it to a few years ago to try and fix it drilled holes in it and put dowels and glue but that didn't work. I think they used just regualr wood glue from the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredxlt View Post
    what model is it? I know that boyds makes direct replacement stocks for the old stevens 311A
    I'll have to check when I get home. I wanna say 268 though

(Berks County)

Please post the exact model number....there are many outfits out there that have "old stock" parts for sale, I may be able to steer you to a company that may have one out of my favorites lists.

Agree, but then with gun stocks sometimes you run into problems. If it was repaired previously and they didn't properly "prep" the wood it may well be screwed up now, also gun stocks very often get oil soaked. This really screws up any future repairs that the wood may need. Proper prep work is key to a strong repair.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer