Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Firearm Safety New York State?

Subject: I would like to learn more about firearm safety. In New York State

I would like to learn about firearm safety. I don't really know anything at all, about firearms, but would really like to learn. There's nothing more american and there's nothing more manly than learning about firearms. Call me old fashioned, but this is what I believe. I come from a "liberal" and "permissive" upbringing so firearms were very "taboo" conversation. I wasn't allowed to even purchase books about BB guns or Paintball when I was a youngster, let alone go to the firing range or gun club on my eighteenth birthday.

I have to do this in secret, because if any of my immediate or extended family knew I was pursuing learning about firearms they'd probably never speak to me again, unfortunately. But I feel as an american it's my right to learn about firearms.

I do understand how dangerous they are, but I want to learn from the beginning. Like any hobby, there's only as dangerous as you allow it to become, and if you're prepared and know all about your hobby, you can be prepared for anything that could potentially go wrong; which mitigates the danger, but never dissolves it completely. I have the belief that things are only dangerous if you don't understand them fully.

It's like those undersea creatures, or any wild animal or insect for that matter. If you chose not to be learned about a wild animal, of course it will be dangerous if you encounter it in the wild, but that doesn't mean that the people who dedicate their lives to preserve wildlife are afraid of bears or wolves or cougars. They learn about their quarry, know how it thinks and it's motis operandi among other things. So, to these professionals, those animals are less of a danger to them, because they are prepared to handle them in their own environment.

Similar, if you know the specification of a firearm, and know how to make it harmless: remove firing pin, or specific springs, or put a lockable wire through the barrel as well as a lock in the trigger guard. You can mitigate the potential for disaster or danger. And while there is no such thing as being 100% safe, the more knowledgeable a person is about a certain topic, the safer they are about that certain topic; regardless if that topic is wild animals, firearms, or even motor vehicles.

More people are killed every day for improper operation of a motor vehicle than they are for firearms. You don't hear the politicians talking about making cars illegal or taking away the rights for people to drive do you? It ridiculous. Yes, I understand the purpose of a firearm is to "shoot" or "kill" things, such as animals, or even people in times of war, or when a militia needs to take back order. It never really had a "benign" purpose, but we live in a world where we need to be able to protect ourselves, or family, or property and our lives, not to mention our freedoms.

My faith, is the simple knowledge that if we better our self through knowledge, we can all become better at life. By truly understanding the world around us and how things work, mechanically, chemically, psychologically and spiritually, we can get a better handle of our place in the world and our place in our community.

Every day you put out good deeds, help others, benefit others, you will get good back in return: only magnified! It's sometimes called karma, but this concept has existed for many years before it was discovered as part of any one religion.

I am an amateur radio operator and help out in communication emergencies, natural disasters, and times of war

I am a student at ITT TECH studying electronics

I am the lead organizer of www.ClimbAlbany.com the local rock climbing group

I enjoy film photography and cooking and camping and hiking and travel, especially to europe and canada and other states

I do not tolerate bigotry, hate, sexism racism homophobia or any other immature childish games. Above all, I don't tolerate ignorance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Firearm Safety New York State?

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Search here for NRA Basic and First Steps classes near you. I typed in 12201 as the zip and requested all classes in 50 miles and got 2 hits.

It's a shame you feel you have to hide your interest from your family.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Beaver County)

These two NRA instructors conduct classes near Albany.

From www.nra.org

Name SARAH HOOD
    Phone 518-610-1376
    Email garylibbiehood@gmail.com

Name JEFF TISHMAN
    Phone 518 929 4514
    Email smalbany@nycap.rr.com

(Monroe County)

Sadly, NYS will not let you touch a pistol unless you already have a Pistol Permit. That makes it legally impossible for anyone to train you in NYS. In order to get pistol permit you have to take a safety course. Most NRA courses require that you do live-fire exercises to complete the course... which NYS will not let you do. There are ways around this... but as you can see the system is designed to be very discouraging.

One option you do have... and many NY people use, is to to travel out of NY State to get your safety training and obtain your safety certificate.

You have a lot of training options, if you don't mind taking a drive into Pennsylvania.

Here is a schedule of upcoming courses that I am giving:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/tsafa1/tra...nracourse.html

I am a former NYS resident who moved to PA so I can own all the guns I want. I am a lot happier now... I think PA is too, since they are now the ones getting my tax money instead of NY.
    Last edited by tsafa; March 17th, 2011 at 05:05 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Come see us at NYShooters.net to get more people in your area who can help. As for the family thing, it's often not as bad as you might think once you get started, and we applaud your courage for taking the first step. Tell us a little more, if you can, about why you think your family might be so hostile? This is a problem many people face so it would be good to have some information.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Unhappy Re: Firearm Safety New York State?

In short, my family are liberals, they hate violence they hate war they hate guns. To them guns are only for killing and only for rednecks and "un enlightened people." Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Come see us at NYShooters.net to get more people in your area who can help. As for the family thing, it's often not as bad as you might think once you get started, and we applaud your courage for taking the first step. Tell us a little more, if you can, about why you think your family might be so hostile? This is a problem many people face so it would be good to have some information.

Lightbulb Re: Firearm Safety New York State?

I would love an opportunity to learn firearm safety in PA, I love PA and I used to drive all over to visit people I was friendly with. Sadly, with work and school all piling up, I don't get much of a chance to visit that great state any more.

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    Sadly, NYS will not let you touch a pistol unless you already have a Pistol Permit. That makes it legally impossible for anyone to train you in NYS. In order to get pistol permit you have to take a safety course. Most NRA courses require that you do live-fire exercises to complete the course... which NYS will not let you do. There are ways around this... but as you can see the system is designed to be very discouraging.

One option you do have... and many NY people use, is to to travel out of NY State to get your safety training and obtain your safety certificate.

You have a lot of training options, if you don't mind taking a drive into Pennsylvania.

I am a former NYS resident who moved to PA so I can own all the guns I want. I am a lot happier now... I think PA is too, since they are now the ones getting my tax money instead of NY.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by AARONLEWISDINKIN View Post
    In short, my family are liberals, they hate violence they hate war they hate guns. To them guns are only for killing and only for rednecks and "un enlightened people." Period.
    That's a simple problem to fix, believe it or not. Of course people hate war and violence, nobody likes brutality and inhumanity. I bet they do, however, like responsibility, tradition, protection of family, charity, and history. I bet they have a positive image of doctors, judges, bankers (ok, maybe not always in the last few years...), and other educated professionals. Ask them if they hate ignorance and prejudice. Ask them what they think about the decision of US v. Cruikshank and the Colfax Massacre.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post

Did they just change rules for a Permit recently: When I hand mine there was no "course" you took you just filled out the papaerwork... the course thing is that just come into play in the last couple years? I had my NYS Permit and took no course just applied for it and another friend who also just moved to Pa recently(last year) got his NYS PP 2 years ago with no course either...just applied for it. we are all now in PA though so dont keep up on the NYS rules anymore.

hey aaron, being i NY i know how you feel. if you are looking for a class, i know several of the larger sporting goods stores in my local area set up gun safety and hunter safety classes, as do most gun clubs. you could look around and ask them. if you can't find any, when you pick up your forms for a pistol permit you should be given a list of phone numbers of people who are certified to teach a class on pistol safety that is required for your permit. in my county most were retired officers. if all else fails you could always look into the book "The NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting" which goes for $13-$15 on amazon.com. it.s not a class but would familiarize you with the topics you are looking at. chapter 1 is firearm safety, 2 is storage and 3 is basic principals of how firearms work.

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    Did they just change rules for a Permit recently: When I hand mine there was no "course" you took you just filled out the papaerwork... the course thing is that just come into play in the last couple years? I had my NYS Permit and took no course just applied for it and another friend who also just moved to Pa recently(last year) got his NYS PP 2 years ago with no course either...just applied for it. we are all now in PA though so dont keep up on the NYS rules anymore.
    no... its been like this for some time, i picked up my application in sept. of 09, and asked others who had done this 5 years before me, this is pretty much standard procedure,
    pick up paperwork ($10 fee)
    get 4 non family character references and notarize
    take a class on pistol safety ($50)
    get 3 passport photos ($20)
    turn in paperwork (another $131)
    wait for deputy to call for interview/finger printing (1 year-18 months)
    wait for sheriff to send recommendation to judge (3-5 weeks)
    wait for judge to sign off and chose restrictions, if any (~1 week)
    go back and pick up permit, get gun's serial # after purchase (leave it @ store) return to sheriffs dept, get "green card" to pick up and amended license, then finally pick up the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast