Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Just uncovered an issue with my 2-yr old WASR, any advice?

I bought this WASR unfired, ANIB from a member a few months ago. Have only ran about 150 rounds through it as i've acquired better AKs since then. Was at the range shooting it today and all of the sudden my upper handguard pops off, blocking my view. A very WTF moment for me. Apparently, the retaining block on the gas tube has been moving itself forward as it appears that the factory just pressed it onto the tube without spot welding it on (my other AKs and my other WASR that I recently picked up have evidence of spot welds keeping the block in place).

The gun has never skipped a beat and still functions just fine, but the gas tube issue needs addressed. This WASR was built in late-2008 according to the tag that came with it, so it's not covered by Century's already shitty warranty. Does Century ever fix stuff like this outside the warranty period or am I SOL? Does anyone know where I can get a replacement Romanian gas tube (I can't imagine they are very expensive)?

Pics:
    You can see in this pic that the upper retaining block is no longer lined up with the lower retaining block.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Just uncovered an issue with my 2-yr old WASR, any advice?

It has been awhile but I thought a pin held on end on and had to be removed to allow the upper grip to come off the gas tube. The pin may be loose and it is allowing the the hand guard to pop out. If the front end isn't spot welded then you have some calls to make or buy a new gas tube.

Some better closeup photos would help.

(Monroe County)

Like big edp51 said a better close up of the actual area that has the problem would be good,but from what i see it looks like the front retainer has moved forward,i just looked at my wasr10 and my romanian G kit gun (original romanian mil surplus) and they look like they have crimps maybe spotwelds? eather way it sounds like no big deal i would just tap it back and have someone with a mig welder tac it at the bottom where you can not see it,grind it down and hit it with some black paint or if you dont want to do that for $18 you can buy a brand new never used in the package east german surplus one from here! http://www.robertrtg.com/ak.html
    Last edited by freddy g; July 4th, 2011 at 12:47 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Nope, no pin holds on the upper guard, at least there is none on the Romanians. The upper guard simply rotates on and off and there is a spring clip underneath to keep it tight.

I managed to buy a surplus Romanian gas tube for about $16 shipped off of gunbroker last night. However, I am still going to give Century a call about this tomorrow as the current gas tube is numbered to the gun and i'd like for them to fix it if possible to keep the gun all-original (not that matching parts on a WASR matter much anyway).

(Monroe County)

no i know there is no pin, it is just crimped or posiblly spot welded in place,and gas tubes are definitly not numbered or matched to the gun,well at least you have one coming,like i posted before RTG's link is for brand new ones....good luck with your AK

(Allegheny County)

Well I called Century today and they basically told me told me that I was on my own since it was out of warranty, apparently they don't do any repairs on site that aren't warranty repairs, i'd hate to be someone who had a serious issue with one of their guns out of warranty. Can't say i'm too surprised as i've heard similar before. Well, i'm only out $16 to fix it with a new part so it's no big deal.

(Fayette County)

Most of those plastic AK handguards are junk to begin with IMHO.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Most of those plastic AK handguards are junk to begin with IMHO.
    Yea, they're just you're standard Century plastic stocks. They're really nothing special but they're better than the wood stocks that came with it.

(Centre County)

This is (was) the perfect chance to get a Ultimak rail AND YOU BLEW IT!!!! (And you got schmutz on your duvet (double ))

http://ultimak.com/M1-b.htm
    Last edited by FLICK; July 6th, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.