Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Unorthodox method of obtaining a LTCF in PA when under 21

Ok so right now this is pure theory, but I think I figured out a way to use the BS laws to our (those under 21) advantage.

Theoretically, if one were to obtain a nonres LTCF in Maine, they would then be eligible to obtain a nonres LTCF in New Hampshire which issues to almost anyone with a LTCF from any other state. Then since PA and NH have LTCF reciprocacy you an 18 year old would be eligible to CC in PA.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, and it probably will be, but I was bored, had an interest, and delight in using BS PC laws to my advantage .

Any comments, questions, or critiscisms are more than welcome as I'm not sure if this will work, but I intend to attempt it.

EDIT: This info was compiled using handgunlaw.us
    Last edited by jon'76; January 6th, 2008 at 12:42 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Unorthodox method of obtaining a LTCF in PA when under 21

Interesting idea. Not sure the legality... looking ....

(Delaware County)

Not specific to your question, but the quoted text from the PA State Police site mentions the age 21 to apply for a LTCF, res or non res. so I'd think they wouldn't honor an under 21 year old's permit

PA STATE POLICE SITE

Who can apply for a Pennsylvania License to Carry?

An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply for a license to carry firearms by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to the sheriff of the county in which they reside or if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city along with the required fee.

Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.

The sheriff has 45 days to conduct an investigation to determine an individual's eligibility to be issued a license. Included in the investigation is a background check conducted on the individual through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) to determine if the records indicate the individual is prohibited by law. In accordance with 18 PA C.S. §6109, a sheriff may deny an individual the right to a License to Carry Firearms if there is reason to believe that the character and reputation of the individual are such that they would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.

If the PICS check is approved and the subject is of good character, the sheriff may issue a License to Carry Firearms. The issuance of a License to Carry Firearms allows individuals to carry a firearm concealed on or about their person, or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth. The license is valid for a period of five (5) years unless sooner revoked.

NOTE: A license to carry firearms is NOT a license to purchase. Individuals who purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer are required to have a background check conducted regardless of whether they have a license to carry firearms or not.
    At 18 you can apply for a Sportsman’s Fireman Permit but it's not valid for ccw.

Who can apply for a Sportsman’s Fireman Permit?

An individual who is age 18 or older and is licensed to hunt, trap or fish, or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, may apply for a Sportsman's Firearm Permit by submitting a completed application along with the required fee to the county treasurer's office. The permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any "legal firearm", when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license, or permit relating to hunting dogs. The issuances of a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit allows the individual to carry a firearm if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers, fishing or training dogs, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers, fish, or train dogs during the regular training season, or returning from such places. A Sportsman's Firearm Permit is NOT a License to Carry a firearm concealed.

(Erie County)

If I remember right someone else brought this up a long time ago. It about getting one from NH since they issue to 18+ year olds. It was brought up though, right when there was the issue with PA recognizing non-res permits. Of course that was smoothed out with the AGs letter.

It's not a bad idea

Non of the reciprocity agreements have any stipulations specifying age, etc.

(Luzerne County)

I'm coming up empty finding anything that would make this a no-go...

So far.

(Philadelphia County)

soberbyker: That's for PA residents obtaining a PA permit, and nonresidents obtaining a PA permit as far as I can tell.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Delaware County)

From the PA AG site, no mention of an age restriction ...

Reciprocity Agreement

This Reciprocity Agreement is between the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by and through the Office of Attorney General, and the State of New Hampshire by and through the Department of Safety.

WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,

WHEREAS, the respective state offices are authorized by statute to enter into this Reciprocity Agreement,

WHEREAS, in consideration of the matters described herein, and of the mutual benefits and obligations set forth in this Reciprocity Agreement, the Parties hereby agree and covenant as follows:

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid New Hampshire permits to carry concealed firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The State of New Hampshire will recognize valid Pennsylvania licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Pennsylvania permit holders while said permit holders are present in the State of New Hampshire

This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms by valid license/permit holders from respective states and not to any other types of weapons.

The State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will inform each other of any changes in their respective concealed firearm statutes that may affect the eligibility of the recognition granted by each state.

The State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will each provide the other with copies of their current laws regarding concealed weapons and firearm carry licenses/permits.

This Reciprocity Agreement is contingent upon and shall only remain effective as long as the respective statutory authority in each state authorizing the reciprocal privileges remains effective.

This Reciprocity Agreement shall become effective upon the execution of the authorized Parties’ signatures.

This Reciprocity Agreement may be terminated by either Party or their successor upon (30) days written notice.

This Reciprocity Agreement is not intended to limit or restrict the statutory authority of either state, and the permit/license holders benefiting from this Agreement shall abide by and respect the prohibited places of carry specified by each case.

WITNESSETH, each Party to this Reciprocity Agreement has caused to be executed on the date
    indicated below.
    Date: ___________________________ Date: __________________________

Richard M. Flynn Robert A. Mulle
    New Hampshire Commissioner of Safety

Chief Deputy Attorney General
    Office of Attorney General
    Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Last edited by soberbyker; January 6th, 2008 at 01:13 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Ok well now it appears my major hurdle is to obtain a permit from ME.

If this actually works I will be the most excited man on the planet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    soberbyker: That's for PA residents obtaining a PA permit, and nonresidents obtaining a PA permit as far as I can tell.
    Yes I noted that when I posted, it wasn't a direct answer to your question, but it does lay out the age 21 twice, which they could use in a fight against the apparent loophole.

I only used it as a reference to PA's view on the age, if you tried the loophole and it was closed it could adversely affect you down the line when the you're 21
    Last edited by soberbyker; January 6th, 2008 at 01:10 AM.

(Luzerne County)

They can't close the "loophole" (I hate that word) without legislative change.

Which is not retro-active.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast