Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Philadelphia County)

Default suppressor laws in Pa. ?

Howdy, i live in Philly, and was wondering......what are the laws concerning suppressors in the city. 'Cause if some one comes climbing through my bedroom window at 3 a.m., and I have to paste him all over the walls, I really don't want to wake up the kiddies with the blast from my S&W .45, or the Taurus .357 mag. Plus I am also concerned about the hearing damage it could cause myself or my wife.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: suppressor laws in Pa. ?

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyDad View Post
    Taurus .357 mag.

Suppressors don't generally work too well on revolvers

I have nothing of substance to add, I'm just feeling frisky tonight.

(Philadelphia County)

o.k., so the .357 is out....what about the S&W .45 ?? Can we get a suppressor for that in the city ?? And thanks for being frisky, I appreciate any attention LOL

(Berks County)

Legally you can own them in Philly.......but good luck getting a CLEO to sign off on a form 4 for a suppressor anywhere near that city. If you can't find an understanding CLEO you will have to go the Trust or LLC route to get one. I would NOT however reccomend planning on using it in a self deffense situation as you stated as it would most likely leave you open even wider to civil proccedings that will most likely be started by the scumbags remaining family looking for easy money. Unless you also get a shovel to go along with that suppressor and just forget to report the whole incident.......

The truth is that even with a suppressor, inside the house everyone would wake up unless you were using a 22 or a 9mm with a wet can.(even then it's a bit loud) Real suppressors are not as quiet as in the movies. I have 5 suppressors now and the only one that is super quiet is the 22 which would not be my choice for a deffensive load. Put a suppressor on your 45 and shoot it indoors and your ears will be ringing for a few days still.

(Montgomery County)

I trimmed a few posts here, lets remember, no discussion of Illegal activities is allowed.

Use some sense here people.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Berks County)

Your probably right. The talk was gettin kinda silly.......I blame it on being too tired while typing...... The point I really wanted him to understand though is that using a suppressor in that situation would be a huge blow to his later likely civil defence as the opposing lawyer could probably argue that he "planned ahead" to use deadly force if that situation occured. Not a good idea......even though I don't really see a problem with it.

(Cumberland County)

Looking at the whole picture, suppressors really only work well with sub-sonic bullets. Yeah, you suppress the muzzle report in all cases, but with a super sonic bullet you have this chunk of lead screaming along at 1200fps, creating a super sonic crack as it flies - totally defeating the whole being quiet thing you are going for with the suppressor.

Besides, if you do need to pull for self defense, you will want to call as much attention to the goings on as possible - at least I would. I'm busy defending myself. Someone else can call the cops for me. If no one calls the cops while you are busy - neutralize the situation, then call the cops yourself. Either way, you are alive to talk to the police when they get there. The other guy.... well, that's entirely dictated by his actions.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Smile Re: suppressor laws in Pa. ?

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post
    Legally you can own them in Philly.......but good luck getting a CLEO to sign off on a form 4 for a suppressor anywhere near that city. If you can't find an understanding CLEO you will have to go the Trust or LLC route to get one. I would NOT however reccomend planning on using it in a self deffense situation as you stated as it would most likely leave you open even wider to civil proccedings that will most likely be started by the scumbags remaining family looking for easy money. Unless you also get a shovel to go along with that suppressor and just forget to report the whole incident.......

The truth is that even with a suppressor, inside the house everyone would wake up unless you were using a 22 or a 9mm with a wet can.(even then it's a bit loud) Real suppressors are not as quiet as in the movies. I have 5 suppressors now and the only one that is super quiet is the 22 which would not be my choice for a deffensive load. Put a suppressor on your 45 and shoot it indoors and your ears will be ringing for a few days still.
    What is a cleo!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by nyteflyre View Post
    What is a cleo!
    Chief Law Enforcement Officer

(Adams County)

CLEO isnt that the guy on the tv show the voice????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast