Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Best Short Range Ammo?

What is the best .30-06 ammo for short range deer hunting? Seems that looking at the descriptions of premium ammunition they say "good long range accuracy" or "good long range performance". Since I hunt from tree stands, my shots are more like archery distances, probably 20-60 yards. I don't need long range accuracy or performance, just a round that expands at close range, and either puts the deer down or leaves a major blood trail. Can I get by with cheap ammo, or is there something that may work better?

Default Re: Best Short Range Ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter55 View Post
    What is the best .30-06 ammo for short range deer hunting? Seems that looking at the descriptions of premium ammunition they say "good long range accuracy" or "good long range performance". Since I hunt from tree stands, my shots are more like archery distances, probably 20-60 yards. I don't need long range accuracy or performance, just a round that expands at close range, and either puts the deer down or leaves a major blood trail. Can I get by with cheap ammo, or is there something that may work better?
    It's hard to tell you exactly what "best ammo" will be for you, but we'll toss out some recommendations. I will say that most manufacturers toss out "good long range accuracy" as a sales pitch. The main reason being that most people think it's cool to shoot "long range", and it makes everybody feel better to think that they can shoot long range, and this ammo will let them do it. Most normal factory ammunition isn't exactly great (but is still acceptable) for anything past 300 yards, which long range shooters don't consider to be "long range". It's just an assumption that if it works at long range, it'll be accurate enough up close. For most deer hunters, 300 yards is a long ways though, lol. Anyway, don't let the claim of "long range" bother you, most of the stuff that works well at long range will work just fine at closer ranges.

Lots of guys like to take big heavy bullets, they buck the wind a little better at longer ranges, and carry more kinetic energy a longer distance. Most people don't shoot deer far enough for the weight difference to make much of a difference, particularly on animal the size of deer. I would give some of the 150 grain projectiles a try, they'll be flat shooting, and lower recoiling than something like a 180 grain bullet. If you can't find any 150's, something a little heavier and around the 165-168 grains will be fine also. Either will be plenty deadly and devastating on deer. You will be fine with anything in those weights that has a ballistic tip design, or is a "soft nose" lead bullet, or any of the "bonded" bullets. For the distances that you're talking about, if your rifle shoots them accurately, then even some of the cheaper stuff will work just fine. You shouldn't have any problem with some 150 grain Remington Express "Core-lokt" bullets, or 150 grain Federal "Power Shok" ammunition. If those don't work and you want to try some cheap ammo still, you probably won't have any trouble with Prvi Partizan soft points, or even the Golden Bear softpoint ammunition. I don't have experience in hunting with the Prvi Partizan or Golden Bear soft points, but I do have experience with the Core-lokt and Power Shok bullets, and they do expand just fine, and shoot pretty well in lots of rifles. As long as it's a soft point, expanding bullet, you'll probably be fine. If you want to spend a little more money, Hornady A-max, Federal Premium, or anything like that will work fine. I don't think you'll have any trouble with even the Core-lokt's or the Power Shok bullets. Here's some links to the cheaper ammunition that you might give a try and see if your rifle likes it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=196583

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=251821

Hope that helps, and let us know if you have any other questions or need any help.

(Wayne County)

Something that expands real quick. Dump all the energy inside the animal. SST or A-max by Hornady, Nosler ballistic tip and so on.

(Centre County)

I used core-lokt last year--reasonable price, very accurate from my Remington 700, but they didnt perform well on a buck last year at 25 yards. My experience with Ballistic Tips out west were that they dropped an antelope and a mule deer 1 shot, dropped where they were standing. Both were 50 yard shots.

I think I will go with the recommendations made for BT or something else. I have a choice between 150 and 180 grains, should I stay with the lower weights to increase early expansion or go to the 180's?

(Somerset County)

I've always had good luck with Hornady bullets, they make ammo too.

You might consider either 150 or 165 gr Interlock in the standard ammo line. Not the Superperformance or InterBOND ammo, they are premium stuff and not needed for deer hunting.

Or try Winchester Power Points.

Dale

(Lehigh County)

The best ammo is a .35 rem in a marlin 336 model.

(Cumberland County)

energy dump is a myth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Something that expands real quick. Dump all the energy inside the animal. SST or A-max by Hornady, Nosler ballistic tip and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon375 View Post
    energy dump is a myth.
    Indeed it is. The SST and AMAX are both very good hunting bullets though, so he offers some sound advice.

OP, the SST, AMAX, Interbond, or Federal Fusion all work great. With deer though, I generally don't use premium ammo (and I reload it for chump change!).

I still use Core-Lokt 150 grain or 180 in my 30-06, or hard cast 405 grain lead @ 1750FPS from my 45-70 guide gun.

That 45-70 don't need no stinkin' expansion.

(Lawrence County)

If I know it's going to be a close in shot, I find whatever 150-165 gr. soft points I can find. Longer shots, 180 gr. pointed soft points. Bears, 220 gr. soft points!

I have 168 gr. BTHP rounds, but I don't use them... Someone once told me a HP wouldn't work for hunting. Not that it matters, I couldn't find a deer in a petting zoo in gun season anyways... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...