Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Passing the hunters education exam studying independently?

Hi everyone.

I am electing to use the Independent Study option for the Hunters Education course where I can study online and only report for a 3 hour class to review and take the test.

At the end of each chapter of the Independent study booklet online, there are review questions. Now my question is, if I can answer all the review questions correctly, does that mean that I should be 100% confident that I will pass the exam?

Anyone familiar with the exam or the review questions in the study book, please share your thoughts and insights.

Thanks in advance.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Passing the hunters education exam studying independently?

if i remember correctly yes they will review everything and that should be all on the test. why cant you attend the class, it's more fun. The last one I attended, I went with my son in law. he's early 20's. there were people there that were 12 to 70 years old. It was fun to watch the others and some of the comments that were made.....
    In God We Trust............................

(Lehigh County)

It's fun when you first get there, it's fun talking to everyone, snack time or lunch time is so fun, but it's all fun for a quick minute. 2 hours into it you will be looking at the door and your watch. There are some good things talked about in the sessions though, and I think every 20 years people should take a refresher course.

(Chester County)

I took the course within the last ten years. I don't remember any of the questions but if I recall correctly it was very very easy. If you read the book you should be able to pass easily. I wouldn't worry about memorizing how many inches of orange you need for each season, it wasn't like that.

I thought the class was targeted at kids, but maybe that's just because my friend and I were the only ones who weren't kids in the class (aside from the parents and instructors). Lots of sportsmanship/ethics along with commonsense/practical info.

(Northampton County)

I took the independent study course last year. It was very easy. Just make sure you know the parts of the guns. They go over all the safety questions during the 3 hour review. All in all it was pretty painless.
    Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! ~Les Mis

(Lancaster County)

If you are familiar with firearms, and hunting most of it is common sense. If not, I highly recommend sitting in on the class. There is invaluable experience to be learned from some of the instructors that no book will be able to teach you.

I attended that class. Couple of school friends were there too. Was a good time. I aced it!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Chester County)

I recently took the course with my twin 12 yo nephews. They both got perfect scores on the "test" and were goofing around during most of the class.

(Cumberland County)

I just took the independent study course a few months ago. I read each chapter and printed up the questions. Before the test I studied the questions a few times. Most of the questions come from the review questions but not all. The only one I missed was about a flint lock. I had only skimmed this chapter and the bow chapter. You will have to identify the parts of these and other guns. Its all multiple guess, no fill in the blank like the review questions. They take questions before the class show how to find information out of the booklet you get with your license. When everyone is done they review all the answers and you leave. My class was almost all 12 year olds (both boys and girls) so be prepared to feel old.