Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Philly Welcome America Party

Anyone going to be downtown for the Welcome America stuff over the next few days?

Girlfriend wants to see the fireworks... So I guess I'm going. Concealed, well.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Philly Welcome America Party

Quote Originally Posted by JonEMTP View Post
    Anyone going to be downtown for the Welcome America stuff over the next few days?

Girlfriend wants to see the fireworks... So I guess I'm going. Concealed, well.

I'll be in the Penns Landing area tonight for the fireworks, doing the local fireworks on Monday. The Art Museum area gets extremely crowded for the concert/fireworks, use extreme situational awareness if you go there Monday night.

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Bring spare magazines for the "flash mob" yutes!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I'll be in the Penns Landing area tonight for the fireworks, doing the local fireworks on Monday. The Art Museum area gets extremely crowded for the concert/fireworks, use extreme situational awareness if you go there Monday night.
    crappy cell shot of the Penn's Landing fireworks from an abandoned Pier in South Philly.

(Chester County)

Nice photos, Sober

We actually went to those, too - we were standing on the water next to the Moshulu - pretty good view, and crowds weren't that bad.

We also went down last night. Huge crowds. Decent view of the fireworks from the Parkway on the North side of Eakin's oval where Kelly Drive splits off.

Crowds were big. And annoying. Many, many rude people, pushing past without even saying "excuse me". What happened to the City of Brotherly Love?

(Philadelphia County)

The event by the Art Museum went a little less smoothly (besides for the after-fireworks knifing by City Hall).

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/d...unt=2#comments

The comments make many events I witnessed on the 4th make more sense today (i.e. instances of "running of the bulls" / stampede behavior by crowds). The human waves happened at least four times. Twice going in the direction of the fireworks/Art Museum (say 100 people+ each time), twice going the other way. The third wave (away from the Art Museum) was the big one - perhaps 300+ at full speed.

As one of the smaller earlier waves away from the Art Museum was followed by cops giving chase, last night I figured the human waves were more a robbery/cause problems for others thing (that, plus the human waves were 100% "Amish" youts ranging from early teens to their 20's). Event had only a smattering of police presence -at least where I was - they probably gave better coverage in the front with the VIPs.

Some people also had a fun time getting home. http://www.examiner.com/metro-transp...eet-last-night

I had positioned myself well, with some light cover and areas of easy exit (by the Franklin Institute, where things cease to be corralled in) so fortunately I was good for the night. Had to cinch my belt extra tight for the 4th though so I didn't have to keep hiking it up (I was carrying more weight than normal, just in case).
    Last edited by inrem; July 5th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.

(Chester County)

Fantastic. I've worked medical for that event in the past, so I knew EXACTLY what I was getting myself into. If the GF hadn't wanted to go, I wouldn't have bothered.

I parked at 20th and Poplar in the crosswalk. Ended up going to Broad to 1 to 76 to get home.

Philadelphia, and proud of it., Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    crappy cell shot of the Penn's Landing fireworks from an abandoned Pier in South Philly..
    Whoa, nicely done! I'll have to make a note to hang out with you next time. Looks like you had a pretty good view from that abandoned pier!

-chivalrouscarry

Quote Originally Posted by chivalrouscarry View Post
    Whoa, nicely done! I'll have to make a note to hang out with you next time. Looks like you had a pretty good view from that abandoned pier!

-chivalrouscarry
    Plus, two guns or three are better than one and someone to watch your back. Sounds like you guys took some chances to see the fireworks!!
    Ruger SR1911/SR9/Glock 19