Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default The Young and the Old: Another Interesting Couple of Encounters

This evening after work, I decided to take my girlfriend and her 5 year old daughter minigolfing. We played through all 18 holes (although the midget played most of our shots) and got some snacks at the end, hot dogs and sodas and such. A trio of older ladies who were two or three parties ahead of us on the course were sitting down and chatting at a nearby table.

We stepped up to the counter to order food. After placing the order, one of the ladies speaks up.

"Excuse me...are you a cop?"
    "No ma'am!" I smiled. I try not to continue these conversations unless they prod a bit more, as a part of the effort to make carrying openly appear normal.
    "Oh...well, I saw the gun there and I thought you were a cop. You look like a cop!" She was just curious, not bitter in any way.
    "Nope, not last time I checked."
    "I betcha you're a bounty hunter!!"

I couldn't help but laugh.

After we got our hotdogs and started to walk away, I bade them a good night. The same one of the trio spoke up again.

"So if you're not a cop, why do you carry a gun?"
    "I have to protect these loved ones I got here!"

The three ladies smiled and continued chatting amongst themselves.

Later on, we went to get some ice cream. As we walked through the parking lot, my girlfriend's daughter noticed my Glock for the first time. She stared at it a few moments as we walked, trying to figure out what to think about this. She then tugged on her mommy's shorts and whispered in that really-loud-munchkin whisper,

"Mommy, why does Mark have a gun?"

This was a question she had been dreading, and was surprised hadn't been asked until now. Instead of letting her struggle for an answer, I tossled the tyke's hair.

"Because I'm a good guy, and I'm awesome! And if bad guys come and want to hurt your mommy, or me, or even you, I can say, 'Hey! Leave them alone!'"
    "Would you shoot the bad guy?"
    "Only if I have to, but I don't ever want to have to shoot anybody. Hopefully they'll just leave us alone when they see I have a gun."

Satisfied with this answer, she asked her mother if we could go see the big fountain in the middle of the promenade we were walking through.

On a side note, while in line at WalMart, a couple of women were about to get in line behind me, and I heard one of them exclaim in a really loud whisper to her cohort, "That guy's got a gun!," at which point they turned and walked away before I could tell them it wouldn't bite. They didn't seem particularly alarmed; it sounded more like a "wow!" tone of voice than a "HOLY SHIT!"
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; June 30th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
    Junior

Default Re: The Young and the Old: Another Interesting Couple of Encounters

Was asked a similar question by one of my nephews about my sidearm, he was about 7 at the time. I have appreciation for that awkward feeling. I ended up explaining to him that part of being a grown-up was that we had to protect the rest of the family, like his mommy, daddy, grandma and grandpa.

He accepted it, but now it's created the side effect that whenever he visits, he tucks one of his toy guns into his waistband, so he can be grown up.

(Lancaster County)

Everytime my second boy sees me putting my pistol on he says "I know why you have that gun." I always ask him why and he replies "To keep the bad guys away."

Kids are so much fun..
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Every time my second boy sees me putting my pistol on he says "I know why you have that gun." I always ask him why and he replies "Because mommy said no to the Nighthawk Custom!"
    Fixed that for you.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    He accepted it, but now it's created the side effect that whenever he visits, he tucks one of his toy guns into his waistband, so he can be grown up.
    This is not a bad thing! He'll grow out of that soon, but the foundation for a fine sheepdog has been laid.
    Junior

(Venango County)

Come on Mark, this is the biggest load of BS. You mean to tell me that a 5 year old child, has more common sense to not be afraid of a firearm than the majority of sheep out there? I find it hard to believe.

But seriously though. It always amazes me that children show curiosity, and many adults show fear.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    ... whenever he visits, he tucks one of his toy guns into his waistband, so he can be grown up.
    You'll have to straighten him out.

Tell him Mexican carry is not good, and that he should always use a holster

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Later on, we went to get some ice cream. As we walked through the parking lot, my girlfriend's daughter noticed my Glock for the first time. She stared at it a few moments as we walked, trying to figure out what to think about this. She then tugged on her mommy's shorts and whispered in that really-loud-munchkin whisper,

"Mommy, why does Mark have a gun?"

This was a question she had been dreading, and was surprised hadn't been asked until now. Instead of letting her struggle for an answer, I tossled the tyke's hair.

"Because I'm a good guy, and I'm awesome! And if bad guys come and want to hurt your mommy, or me, or even you, I can say, 'Hey! Leave them alone!'"
    "Would you shoot the bad guy?"
    "Only if I have to, but I don't ever want to have to shoot anybody. Hopefully they'll just leave us alone when they see I have a gun."

Satisfied with this answer, she asked her mother if we could go see the big fountain in the middle of the promenade we were walking through.

On a side note, while in line at WalMart, a couple of women were about to get in line behind me, and I heard one of them exclaim in a really loud whisper to her cohort, "That guy's got a gun!," at which point they turned and walked away before I could tell them it wouldn't bite. They didn't seem particularly alarmed; it sounded more like a "wow!" tone of voice than a "HOLY SHIT!"
    I do not mean to level any offense, but honestly, stories like this remind me why i prefer concealed carry. Some conversations i just prefer not to have.

OC is not for me, but i'm glad you guys are getting good use out of it. I equally cherish my ability to carry a gun that no one knows i have.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal
    But seriously though. It always amazes me that children show curiosity, and many adults show fear.
    The same occurs naturally in the animal kingdom. Curiosity gets replaced with respect (or fear) as one gains wisdom. It does not surprise me in the slightest a 5yo could be curious. So would a puppy.
    Last edited by Valorius; July 1st, 2011 at 12:03 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    "Oh...well, I saw the gun there and I thought you were a cop. You look like a cop!" She was just curious, not bitter in any way.

... and here is a character witness for your upcoming trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    You'll have to straighten him out.

Tell him Mexican carry is not good, and that he should always use a holster

You dont know how tempted I've been to whip up a kydex paddle holster for his little yellow Nerf. The problem is I have too many nephews. If one got one, they'd all want one. Then the nieces would want them, so I'd be ordering the pink kydex. I'd go broke making holsters for every squirt gun wielding relative that lands on my front porch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast