Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bolt Action .223: "scout" rifles still made? Also: bolt action .223s w/ iron sights?

Before I get corrected/critiqued by everyone: yes, I know Cooper scout rifles are .308s. I'd still like a .223 set up like a scout rifle, though.

Why? Because I like IER scopes. I know many people don't, and I also know most people don't see a purpose for them. I like them because, for me, they're like a red dot, but without batteries. This means I never need to worry about functional issues when I'm out camping, as the IER scope will always work (until I break it ). I know I won't achieve the same accuracy, magnification, or other benefits from a standard scope, but like I said, that's not why I use an IER scope. I use it for quick aiming that gives me a little bit more magnification than peep sights and an infinite lifetime compared to red dots. I also like bolt-actions because they are simpler, harder to break, and easier to maintain than semi-automatics.

SO, NOW THAT I'VE PREDEFENDED MY POSITION: does anyone know of any .223/5.56 scout rifles out there? I can't find any still in production, but I'd pretty much do anything for one.

Also, does anyone know of any .223/5.56 bolt actions with stock iron sights? I only know of the CZ 527 line, but they've got 1:12 twists (I want 1:9), so I have a hard time bringing myself to purchase one. Remington has the 700 BDL, but that's been discontinued and also has a 1:12 twist. I like having iron sights as back ups for a broken scope.

Any ideas?
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Bolt Action .223: "scout" rifles still made? Also: bolt action .223s w/ iron sigh

According to Ruger's website, they have the African model in 223 with a 1:9 twist. It's marked as new, so it may not be available yet.

Dale

Default Re: Bolt Action .223: "scout" rifles still made? Also: bolt action .223s w/ iron sigh

Nice find! I like it. It's a bit heavy, and the scope isn't forward mounted, but it is really nice. Adding to my list of possibilities.

(Dauphin County)

Check out Savage- they might have something like that. Not sure about iron sights though.

(Jefferson County)

Just buy a rifle and have iron sights added to it. If the barrel is to long for you, I'll rent you my hacksaw. lol

If you get the right barrel taper, you can have a scout style mount added.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    Check out Savage- they might have something like that. Not sure about iron sights though.
    Yeah, checked them out. None with iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Just buy a rifle and have iron sights added to it. If the barrel is to long for you, I'll rent you my hacksaw. lol

If you get the right barrel taper, you can have a scout style mount added.
    Do you happen to know how thick the barrel taper has to be on your average gun to pull this off? And how much such an installation would cost? Crafting my own .223 scout sounds like an option, though I might avoid it if the cost is too much or to avoid aftermarket stuff.

(Monroe County)

It depends on how true to the scout platform you want to be. Since your not going with .308 I'm guessing your flexible. I would look for a used Stevens/Savage 200 in .223. Purchase a XS mount based on the size of your barrel. Spend a little time with a dremel and Acraglass to affix it and inlet the stock. Cut and crowne the barrel to your desired lenght. Then add a third sling mount in the middle and buy or make your own Ching sling. Affix scope of your choice and possible a butt cuff full of extra ammo.

It will not have iron sights although you could get those added, wrong caliber and no detachable magazine or stripper clip guide but it would still mount your IER scope and be quick to shoulder with the Ching sling. Handy little rifle for camping, hiking or whatever you need.