Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Series 70 plunger tube

I need a new plunger tube put on my series 70. The old one came off the side of the frame. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith near Susquehanna county that will put a new tube on the gun?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Series 70 plunger tube

If you have some time, and are ok with doing the work on your own then hit up brownell's.

This link should help:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...E_STAKING_TOOL

Tool cost is about 26 bucks plus shipping

good luck
    gotta love her ;)

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by J261 View Post
    I need a new plunger tube put on my series 70. The old one came off the side of the frame. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith near Susquehanna county that will put a new tube on the gun?
    Thanks for the advice, GCA. After looking around this forgotton county for a smithy, I do believe I will attempt this fix myself as you suggested. I plan on ordering a Colt tube and Colt spring-kit. Would that be OK or would you recommend the Wilson parts? It is a stock Series 70 with no modifications. Would I have to drill out any holes or countersink or whatever to the gun frame first as I have read on some forums? Is it necessary to add some locktite to the posts prior to the stake? Thanks in advance for you help on this...............

(Westmoreland County)

i put a new one on my auto ord 1911a1. wasn't hard at all. just get the staking tool and it's simple. personally i used a wilson combat stainless tube. worked out good. didn't need to drill the holes or anything like that. i did put a small dot of locktite on each post although i don't think it's necessary if staked properly.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by J261 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, GCA. After looking around this forgotton county for a smithy, I do believe I will attempt this fix myself as you suggested. I plan on ordering a Colt tube and Colt spring-kit. Would that be OK or would you recommend the Wilson parts? It is a stock Series 70 with no modifications. Would I have to drill out any holes or countersink or whatever to the gun frame first as I have read on some forums? Is it necessary to add some locktite to the posts prior to the stake? Thanks in advance for you help on this...............
    For a stock Colt Ser 70 there should be no problems in using either Colt or Wilson parts. The plunger tube will go in with some slight resistance, but there should be no major need for any drilling or countersinking the plunger tube.

Just go slow and gentle so you dont crush the tube. A small screw driver inside the tube should help to prevent that.

Locktite on the posts won't hurt or help so go for it

Good Luck
    gotta love her ;)