Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Could Sunday hunting be on its' way? HB 1760

I was actually shot at during turkey season. This was some years ago, and I think it happened on a saturday. I was hiking on the PA side of the DE water gap, on the appalachian trail. I was wearing a purple rain jacket, but had a blaze orange vest on over that. Guy with a shotgun took a shot in my direction from some brush about 25 yards away and God knows how but missed entirely.

When I confronted him he said he didn't see the blaze orange through the brush, but did see my jacket colors and they were the same coloring that turkeys sometimes get, than proceeded to launch into some rambling speech claiming that I had no right to be there as these were hunters lands paid for with hunters license fees (remember, I was on a designated hiking trail, so he should have been aware that there might be non-hunters using the area and should have been more careful).

To be honest, part of me suspects he shot (and missed) on purpose, knowing full well I was a hiker, and just wanted to put a scare into someone who was using "his lands" for non-hunting purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by magras View Post
    did somebody shoot at you or did you just hear a shot while you were in the woods? im just curious .

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    I was actually shot at during turkey season. This was some years ago, and I think it happened on a saturday. I was hiking on the PA side of the DE water gap, on the appalachian trail. I was wearing a purple rain jacket, but had a blaze orange vest on over that. Guy with a shotgun took a shot in my direction from some brush about 25 yards away and God knows how but missed entirely.

When I confronted him he said he didn't see the blaze orange through the brush, but did see my jacket colors and they were the same coloring that turkeys sometimes get, than proceeded to launch into some rambling speech claiming that I had no right to be there as these were hunters lands paid for with hunters license fees (remember, I was on a designated hiking trail, so he should have been aware that there might be non-hunters using the area and should have been more careful).

To be honest, part of me suspects he shot (and missed) on purpose, knowing full well I was a hiker, and just wanted to put a scare into someone who was using "his lands" for non-hunting purposes.
    wow so the idiot tried to justify his mistake with land usage rights . and he missed a human size target with birdshot at 25 yds . In my opinion it was on purpose . i dont know anyone who can miss that completely

(Bucks County)

I am having a tough time with this- was there a police report?
    I can not think of a single reason why that person was not arrested.

Especially in view of having a conversation with him after he fired. He should have had a significant, Don Corlioni style trash-can ass beating right on the spot with his shotgun broken into bits against a tree.

Sunday hunting is on the way- it may take a while but it is coming. It will be a great thing for us that need that extra day to put some meat in the freezer.

As it should be, private land owners can always say no. As far as people putting up stands on private property in close proximity to SGL-
    that is not a Sunday hunting issue- that is a criminal matter that should be addressed by the property owner.

State game lands are exactly that- game lands. Walk your dog on private property or at the dog park.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Erie County)

I no longer hunt, but support hunting and am in favor of hunting, but don't support hunting on Sundays. Sorry fellas. I like to have the ability to go for a walk in the woods with my dog without fear of getting shot, and that has almost happened (and yes I was wearing a blaze orange vest at the time).
    ....Also, many SGL's have boundaries that are closely tied to state parks, or lie adjacent to private property, and in many cases those boundaries are not always clear, so it is sometimes easy for both hunters and non-hunters to wander into the wrong area. I've seen it happen many times to a buddy who has a sizable piece of property adjacent to SGL near me. In spite of the his property being clearly marked hunters often trespass and set up deer stands on his land. It happens every year, and it pisses him off as he feels he can't run his own dogs on his own lands without fear of either him or his dogs being shot.

Sounds like some ignorant people in your area.

At fifty-three, I've spent a lifetime in the woods, usually in the fall, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, and canoeing without an incident with hunters. The hunters in your area must be doing it wrong.

Granted, on the first two weeks of December, I'm in orange and carrying a firearm. But even then, I've never had a confrontation with a non-hunter. The only exception is I hate deer drives...that does add danger.

In archery season I've had small game hunters and non-hunters pass by and even under me without even noticing I was there. There is no reason that we can't all just get along.

I understand that some visitors don't like that sound of gunshots in the distance; it makes them fearful. But you know I feel the same from the auto noise, honking, trucks and ambulances when I'm biking in the city...get used to it; get a thick skin. it's not dangerous or at least shouldn't be if you take the necessary precautions...bright clothing, carry a CCW, etc.

If the hunters in your area are ignorant, trespassing, and unsafe then start working on that problem. That is not a Sunday hunting problem. Too many people complain about problems that can and should be corrected but want to just avoid the issue and want to avoid the whole thing by saying don't allow "it" (bad behavior) on Sunday too. Let's clean up their act and allow everyone to have their fun on Sunday too. There's room for all of us... birders, hikers, and hunters alike.

It's time to get this blue law off the books.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

This was back in the mid 90's (1994 or 1995 i think). When I got back home 4-5 hours later I did call the police and also called the PGC the following monday to report it, and gave both agencies the guys tag number, but other than a follow up call from someone a week or so later from the PGC asking for more details I never heard anything more about it.

As for giving the guy a beat down, I wasn't about to confront someone who easily had 50 lbs and was a good 6 " taller than me and carrying a shotgun.

Shouldn't be too surprising that someone would pull a stunt like that. We have all seen or heard about irresponsible behavior at rifle ranges, I have
    personally seen people purposely discharge a firearm when someone is downrange thinking it would be a funny joke, and have known hunters in the past who are militant regarding non-hunters on SGL who have comments about not having any problem shooting someones unleashed dog even if they were not chasing deer, or discharging their weapon when they know that non-hunters are around as a means of "sending a message".

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I am having a tough time with this- was there a police report?
    I can not think of a single reason why that person was not arrested.

Especially in view of having a conversation with him after he fired. He should have had a significant, Don Corlioni style trash-can ass beating right on the spot with his shotgun broken into bits against a tree.

Sunday hunting is on the way- it may take a while but it is coming. It will be a great thing for us that need that extra day to put some meat in the freezer.

As it should be, private land owners can always say no. As far as people putting up stands on private property in close proximity to SGL-
    that is not a Sunday hunting issue- that is a criminal matter that should be addressed by the property owner.

State game lands are exactly that- game lands. Walk your dog on private property or at the dog park.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Diann View Post
    Hi.
    I think that hunting is a really bad thing to do. What's so great about killing poor harmless animals just for fun? This is sick.

it was a sig link spammer trying to sell software, not a troll... and don't reply to spammers or trolls, just REPORT THE POST so I don't have to clean up your mess too.

thanks.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    it was a sig link spammer trying to sell software, not a troll... and don't reply to spammers or trolls, just REPORT THE POST so I don't have to clean up your mess too.

thanks.

(Lancaster County)

I'll gladly keep gunshot noise to minimum using a suppressor on Sundays if that's what it takes to keep folks happy. (Now I've just gotta move about 15 miles south to be a PA resident...)
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

I would like to put forth the motion that there be a season for Fudds.
    Said season would parallel the coyote season- never closed.

I would add there should be no bag limit, semi-auto firearms of any caliber and triple points awarded for bagging a fudd on Sunday, while using a suppressor (that would be a silencer to all you Fudds).
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lancaster County)

One huge beneficiary to getting Sunday hunting would be guides--their incomes would probably double. They work hard for their living and deserve every bit of help they can get.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast