Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Could Sunday hunting be on its' way? HB 1760

Quote Originally Posted by Kepper View Post
    I disagree. I own land and have a place to hunt, I wish I could hunt it on Sunday, though. Just because you own land does not mean you are free of jobs and obligations that prevent you from hunting.

People fight this for one reason, they don't like change.
    i dont own land and have no desire to hunt someones property
    but i am all for being able to hunt sgl's on sundays

Northern part of York County, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Hunters can make their own decision on this. But the day Sunday hunting is passed, my York County acreage gets posted with no hunting / no trespassing 7 days a week. I do not want to deal with hunters and trespassers on Sunday. I want to be able to walk and do maintenance on my property without wearing blaze orange. If hunters don't grasp or understand that concept, then I don't care, but they'll never be permitted to hunt or encroach on my property again. At the present time I'm not posted and haven't enforced no hunting.

(Bucks County)

Be sure to take your ball with you when you go home....
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkee View Post
    Hunters can make their own decision on this. But the day Sunday hunting is passed, my York County acreage gets posted with no hunting / no trespassing 7 days a week. I do not want to deal with hunters and trespassers on Sunday. I want to be able to walk and do maintenance on my property without wearing blaze orange. If hunters don't grasp or understand that concept, then I don't care, but they'll never be permitted to hunt or encroach on my property again. At the present time I'm not posted and haven't enforced no hunting.
    And you have every right to do so. Every hunter who uses your property should be stopping by to ask your permission as to when and how we can use your property. If they are not, they are in the wrong. Even if property is not posted I believe that there is an obligation of the hunter to seek permission to hunt on the property.

For instance what if you work Wednesday through Sunday, you may want to use your property as you see fit on Monday and Tuesday. It is your right to say no hunting on Monday and Tuesday and the hunter should agree with no issue. As a hunter I would be happy if you said that I could only hunt on your property every other day if the sky was blue, at least I would have your permission to hunt you property! I could always use this as an opportunity to build a relationship with you and hopefully earn the privilege to use your property on a more frequent basis. You as the land owner are granting a privilege.

I see Sunday hunting as a win-win. Landowners have the right to dictate when and how their property is used and hunters with permission could gain an extra day to hunt.

It should always be the land owners decision!

(Lehigh County)

IMO,
    if they pass it, doesn't mean anyone will be deer hunting anytime soon on Sundays. maybe small game at the most if your lucky, but the option would always be there if they wanted to allow it on any given Sunday.

I'm for it, just not for any deer hunting on Sundays at this time with the way the population is here anyway, maybe if they take a day away during the week and replace with a Sunday would be fine, i like the deer having a day of Peace during the hunting seasons...gives them a chance to get there bearings back in order..
    also in lehigh county 4c area would like to see it go back to only 3 day of doe hunting with rifle say it starting in the second week of buck season...

I own some property to, but its always been posted..to many trigger happy people out there that like to violate the safety zone laws..
    Last edited by wildsofpa; December 28th, 2011 at 08:45 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

where are they at on this i havent heard anything since november

I no longer hunt, but support hunting and am in favor of hunting, but don't support hunting on Sundays. Sorry fellas. I like to have the ability to go for a walk in the woods with my dog without fear of getting shot, and that has almost happened (and yes I was wearing a blaze orange vest at the time).

(Luzerne County)

I am totally FOR Sunday hunting.... some people work Monday through Friday and that only gives them one day to hunt. I also agree that a landowner can say when and IF another can hunt on their land. HOWEVER, I do not believe that those that say they want to WALK THEIR DOG, PICK FLOWERS or COUNT BIRDS on PUBLIC HUNTING LANDS should have any say. It was not their money that purchased these lands, or maintained the roads it was the hunters. If ya wanna walk your dog, go to the city park, walk the streets or go to the beach. Leave the HUNTING lands to the HUNTERS...........

The lands are not funded entirely by hunters. Some of my money (and anyone in the US who buys firearms and ammo) does go to support the PGC and SGL:

More than half of the agency's annual revenues come from the sale of hunting and furtaker licenses. Two other major sources of funds are the sale of timber, mineral and oil/gas revenues from State Game Lands, which were purchased with license dollars; and a federal excise tax on sporting arms and ammunition. Therefore, the Game Commission is supported almost entirely by hunters and trappers or assets procured with license dollars. The Game Commission does not receive any annual appropriation of state taxpayer dollars to support operations or programs. More than half of the agency's annual revenue comes from license sales.

Furthermore, I am now paying for a range permit to use rifle ranges on SGL, and even though I no longer hunt I still pick up a hunting license as I am very well aware that these resources I use are primarily funded by outdoorsmen.

Also, many SGL's have boundaries that are closely tied to state parks, or lie adjacent to private property, and in many cases those boundaries are not always clear, so it is sometimes easy for both hunters and non-hunters to wander into the wrong area. I've seen it happen many times to a buddy who has a sizable piece of property adjacent to SGL near me. In spite of the his property being clearly marked hunters often trespass and set up deer stands on his land. It happens every year, and it pisses him off as he feels he can't run his own dogs on his own lands without fear of either him or his dogs being shot.

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    I am totally FOR Sunday hunting.... some people work Monday through Friday and that only gives them one day to hunt. I also agree that a landowner can say when and IF another can hunt on their land. HOWEVER, I do not believe that those that say they want to WALK THEIR DOG, PICK FLOWERS or COUNT BIRDS on PUBLIC HUNTING LANDS should have any say. It was not their money that purchased these lands, or maintained the roads it was the hunters. If ya wanna walk your dog, go to the city park, walk the streets or go to the beach. Leave the HUNTING lands to the HUNTERS...........
    Last edited by glocke12; January 11th, 2012 at 07:54 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    I no longer hunt, but support hunting and am in favor of hunting, but don't support hunting on Sundays. Sorry fellas. I like to have the ability to go for a walk in the woods with my dog without fear of getting shot, and that has almost happened (and yes I was wearing a blaze orange vest at the time).
    did somebody shoot at you or did you just hear a shot while you were in the woods? im just curious .

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast