Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Could Sunday hunting be on its' way? HB 1760

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    It's not just hunters who trespass. ATV-ers don't have "seasons" either. We're talking about a handful of days tops that would have actual Sunday Hunting (for the game people WANT to hunt). Besides, crow & 'yote hunters can already trespass on Sunday.
    When I lived in Allegheny county I never saw a crow or coyote hunter tresspassing. I would see upwards of two dozen each Saturday of deer. Again, we all know that the amount of crow hunters is not the same as deer hunters, comparing the two is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    When I lived in Allegheny county I never saw a crow or coyote hunter tresspassing. I would see upwards of two dozen each Saturday of deer. Again, we all know that the amount of crow hunters is not the same as deer hunters, comparing the two is pointless.
    We're probably never going to agree, but he fact that there IS Sunday Hunting for some species and not others is the strongest statement for Sunday Hunting of ALL species.

Just need to get our self-serving politicians to give up control, who are not biologists either, and get it back in the hands of the PGC who is PRO-Sunday Hunting for all species... like 75% of the rest of this country.

To first solve the trespassing problem, think about this:

An unethical hunter will trespass M-S, yet he/she will not poach on a Sunday. At least it doesn't sound like they poach on Sunday, as much as they trespass on M-S, so why?

My guesses:

1 - a shot heard on a Sunday will get attention, since most hunting isn't permitted.

2 - The punishment for Sunday hunting is more severe than trespassing (could be an opportunity here).

I haven't made my mind up on a preference for Sunday hunting yet. I have some thoughts on both sides of the argument and some solutions, but trespassing is unacceptable and I'd rather see a strong effort to reduce that, before we move forward. Landowners able to shoot on sight perhaps Kidding of course. Some folks wonder in accidentally and in my mind, they should still be accountable as well. But most probably don't give a crap.

So how can we change the laws to significantly reduce this offense? If I can get that answer, then I'm much more open to Sunday hunting. Then, if noise on a Sunday issue, we push forward with air guns, or even silencers for hunting.

Trespassing laws are in place, but perhaps a person found trespassing, while in the act of hunting, faces a more severe penalty. This is not a problem unique to PA, but there are other states where it is dealt with more severely, they're still looking for the bodies
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

Disagreements aside, this is a good discussion... one of the more reasoned on this topic. I'm learning knew things / points of view too.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

We're probably never going to agree, but he fact that there IS Sunday Hunting for some species and not others is the strongest statement for Sunday Hunting of ALL species.

Just need to get our self-serving politicians to give up control, who are not biologists either, and get it back in the hands of the PGC who is PRO-Sunday Hunting for all species... like 75% of the rest of this country.
    I think its one of many arguments that are 110% spot on to get the authority for Sunday hunting away from politicians and into the hands of the PGC. The PGC should determine seasons and bag limits, and that includes allowing hunting or not on Sundays, in my mind.

Really, I'm not against all Sunday hunting. I'm primarily against Sunday hunting for deer. To be honest, Sunday hunting for deer during flintlock/archery wouldn't bother me very much. So what it really comes down to is Sundau hunting, during firearms seasons, for deer, seems like a poor idea to me. On top of that, I havent hunted deer for years up in the Northern part of the state, Sunday hunting might not cause the issues in those management units that I think it would in special regs areas.

Sunday hunting for small game? Good for me. Sunday hunting for youth hunters? Great idea.

(Perry County)

I think its one of many arguments that are 110% spot on to get the authority for Sunday hunting away from politicians and into the hands of the PGC. The PGC should determine seasons and bag limits, and that includes allowing hunting or not on Sundays, in my mind.

Really, I'm not against all Sunday hunting. I'm primarily against Sunday hunting for deer. To be honest, Sunday hunting for deer during flintlock/archery wouldn't bother me very much. So what it really comes down to is Sundau hunting, during firearms seasons, for deer, seems like a poor idea to me. On top of that, I havent hunted deer for years up in the Northern part of the state, Sunday hunting might not cause the issues in those management units that I think it would in special regs areas.

Sunday hunting for small game? Good for me. Sunday hunting for youth hunters? Great idea.
    Which brings us to a reality that seems to be lost on a lot that oppose Sunday hunting. If nothing else changes other than to remove the Sunday restriction, it's an increase of one day during rifle deer season. One Sunday out of 52. Any potential over-harvest could easily be remedied by ending the season on Friday instead of Saturday.

I don't think most non-hunter outdoor folks are concerned about their safety with small game hunters or archery deer hunters. It really does come down to rifle deer season and turkey hunters.

Trespassing isn't a serious issue other than rifle deer season. There is always some, I investigated it fairly regularly but during rifle deer season, the complaints were much more frequent.

Let's face it, a lot of hunters only buy a license and come out for that short rifle deer season so they can put a deer in the freezer. There is no other game they hunt.

I trust the Game Commission to set seasons and bag limits as appropriate to best manage the resource. You only need to look at the bucks we now have in PA to see that our deer population is far healthier than it was 20 years ago.

Any of you that support an end to the ban on Sunday hunting should look at Hunters United for Sunday Hunting (HUSH). They're doing what must be done since the legislature is being controlled by the Farm Bureau in regards to Sunday hunting. Support them in whatever way you can. I spent a day at the CARLISLE SPORTS & OUTDOOR NATIONALS manning their booth.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

I'm going to say this for one last time- MORE PEOPLE HUNT ON WEEKENDS THAN ON WEEKDAYS. Trespassing isn't really an issue on weekdays, it is on Saturdays. When weekday trespassing becomes an issue, ill worry about it.

I would have no problem with shutting down Saturdays to hunting. Wouldn't bother me a bit. But, as I said before, I recognize that here in the real world that won't happen. Considering that we already have very little Sunday hunting, keeping it that way is a much more likely reality than closing Saturdays to hunting as well.
    Yeah... you'll note that I already gave you credit for saying that before.

And considering that we already have Saturday hunting and a little hunting on Sundays, I think it's likely we could get regular hunting on Sundays pushed through.
    Really though, I'm sick of arguing about what "might" happen and how trespassers should determine what the rest of us can do.

This discussion has been a little heated, but it seems some common ground could at least be found. I have to agree that the protection and management of the species has to be the primary consideration of anything in deer season. If we needed to shut deer season down entirely for a period of time to protect the species, I'd fully support that. The argument to put that decision in the hands of people who specialize in that area is very strong.

I was on the verge of just resolving myself to get out of this conversation... it was starting to look like a pointless shouting match.
    But it isn't.
    Last edited by goon; September 22nd, 2013 at 01:36 PM.

Absolutely agreeable. And it's amazing that if people could compromise, I bet we'd get there on this. Before you know it, they might be able to do one Sunday during deer rifle and we'll all wonder what the fuss is about.

Unfortunately, one large stakeholder won't even come to the table; The Farm Bureau. And that is unacceptable in 2013. "Farmers" can kill deer whenever they want with red tags and claiming crop damage.
    Last edited by CL3; September 22nd, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

(Perry County)

Absolutely agreeable. And it's amazing that if people could compromise, I bet we'd get there on this. Before you know it, they might be able to do one Sunday during deer rifle and we'll all wonder what the fuss is about.

Unfortunately, one large stakeholder won't even come to the table; The Farm Bureau. And that is unacceptable in 2013. "Farmers" can kill deer whenever they want with red tags and claiming crop damage.
    That's one of my biggest issues with this whole thing. We, as hunters, are divided on the issue which allows the Farm Bureau to dictate our hunting season. I'm a land owner, and I get trespassers. That doesn't stop me from wanting Sunday hunting because I see it as an infringement on how I may use my land. I would be equally unhappy if it was a prohibition on 4-wheelers, shooting, cutting wood or any other activity based on a day of the week.

Let's get this out of the legislature's control then we can petition the Game Commission as we see fit.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Washington County)

Don't have time read all this, but skimmed.

Deer populations are controlled by the number of doe tags allocated and the amount of time they can be used.

Those that are worried about to many deer being killed via Sunday hunting need to understand that allocation adjustments will take care of that.

In public testimony, the ED of the PGC has said that Sunday deer hunting would be the last thing implemented.

Also keep in mind, with our present firearms season structure, ONE Sunday would be in play. The PGC, if and when they decide to use SH for the firearms season, they can specify the middle Sunday in the beginning. If they decide to add a second Sunday, they could.

This issue really is about the regulatory authority being placed with the PGC. They have shown in most instances that they use a slow and measured approach. That is the expected result when SH comes to PA.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast