Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: AR-15 optics questions

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Oh, and don't even bother saying Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech, or any of those expensive brands. That was the 1st and only response I got on ar15.com before the thread was closed. If I was looking for one of those, I wouldn't be posting this thread.
    Well, if you had cancer, I'd recommend surgery and chemotherapy... but since you don't LIKE the good advice, I'd suggest seeing the local voodoo shaman, and try sleeping on rocks each night.

I'm no fan of BARFcom, but it sounds like they tried to steer you in the direction of something that would;

a) work
    b) work EVERY time, or have a decent enough warranty to fix/replace it if it doesn't.
    c) accomplish the mission
    d) does NOT cost & arm & a leg!

How about a Schmidt & Bender short dot then? On sale through Amazon for only $2,699! They're backordered right now, they're so popular!

Makes that $500 Aimpoint a buttload cheaper, huh?

Go ahead and put a cheapass Barska/UTG/Leapers/Sightmark/NcSTAR hunk o' crap on your rifle then. When it fails to hold zero, and breaks upon the first few rounds of recoil, not ONLY will you be out the $79.95 you gave to Cheaper than Dirt for it, you'll be that much FURTHER behind in saving towards an Aimpoint, EOTech, or Trijicon.

Work on using your irons - that's the best & cheapest advice you can get. Pinch pennies 'til they scream if need be, to save for a QUALITY optic. Firearms are not a hobby for the cheapskate - if you actually want to HIT your target, quality glass costs money. Period.

When all the advice sounds the same, there's probably a reason...

Default Re: AR-15 optics questions

well here's a problem i have with that - i'm not sure what i want so even if i had the money to spend on eotech or aimpoint, if I don't like it, I'll be out a ton of money.
    A word of advice from someone who, over the years, has attempted to save a few bucks by buying "inexpensive" optics: DON'T buy cheap glass. Get an AP, EOtech or a good quality scope. Otherwise, use the irons.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Pike County)

I've had good experiences with Vortex optics - the unlimited, unconditional lifetime warranty clears away all of the "it wll blow up the first time you use it" underbrush. Not true, and irrelevant in any case. There are clear differences between the Crossfire and Viper lines, at least to my eyes, but you do generally get what you pay for. That said, the Crossfires are certainly suitable for your intended use, as is the red-dot.

My preferred vendor is SWFA, YMMV.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Rifle-Scopes-C1408.aspx

Edited to add: You can always use the iron sights! If you are young and have good eyesight, you will probably be very pleasantly surprised with a little practice. If, like me, you are old-ish and blind, disregard ;->
    Last edited by RobW; June 28th, 2011 at 11:03 AM.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    A word of advice from someone who, over the years, has attempted to save a few bucks by buying "inexpensive" optics: DON'T buy cheap glass. Get an AP, EOtech or a good quality scope. Otherwise, use the irons.
    ^ This... I cannot emphasize this enough. I, in the past, have been guilty of this, as well as a couple of my friends. My one buddy spent $900 on his AR. Then he went and bought a cheap $40 red dot for it. It broke the first time he shot it. So he went out and got a $60 red dot scope for it... It broke soon after. Now he has another cheap $150 scope on it, and has only shot it once with it on, but it doesn't hold zero and the dot is smeary. By the time it's all said and done, he would have been better of with the "buy once cry once" theory. He is well over half way to an Eotech 512 price.

I realize the situation you are in... I really do. I got BUIS for my AR over a half year ago in preparation for an Eotech. It took me awhile to get around to it, and I finally did. And I don't regret it. It's top of the line equipment that is well worth the price. And it isn't all about being "tacticool" here. Fact is, it's a good sight. It holds zero, the carriage protects it very well, you can shoot very accurately and efficiently with two eyes open, the vision field is wide, etc.

Oh, and BTW, I wouldn't buy one from Cabelas, Gander, Dicks (even if you could find one that had them), etc. I bought my 512 a few weeks ago for $389... While places like Cabelas are selling them for around $415 now.. Also, if you wait until they have one of their rebates, you can save another $20? (I can't remember the exact amounts.. each model was different)

You just have to move in steps... but I honestly recommend against going cheap anymore. I used to be the same way, and quite frankly, it isn't worth it bud. If you can't afford a good one, you're best to stick to iron sights until you can save up for one. Buying cheap will end up wasting your money in the end.

Ultimately, the money is yours, and you can choose to do what you want. You can certainly go cheaper (although I won't recommend any), but I don't know if you will be happy in the end.

Best of luck with the purchase!
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; June 28th, 2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    III%

just for plinking fun, tasco red dot. i have had one for years, green and red dot options. I tried it on bb guns, bb pistols, .22s and my mini14, wifes AR15 sportical. its OK, good enough for the $ and for what it does. rated for 12 ga and .357 mag.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tasco-Red-...i_sku=14521599

If you wat a cheapy reflex, they have these too, never tried it though
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/TruGlo-Mul...ndingMethod=rr

the BSA never held up, really junky
    if you wan something that might be easier on your eyes until you get the money saved for something nicer then the $40 isn't going to break your bank, and you can slap it on a .22 or pellet gun when you get your dream optic. we arent talking 3 gun competition sight here, or a sight for home defense, just a knockaround sight that you can pull off and toss in a drawer when you get sick of looking at it.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; June 28th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Northampton County)

You could try looking into a Burris AR-332. It's got an illuminated green/red reticle, and has a 3x magnification. I use one and have been happy with it. It seems very solid and IMO would work well for the range out to 300 yards.

MidwayUSA has them for $319, and I know I saw one at Cabela's recently if you want to stop in there and at least get your hands on it.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/ar332.html

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Well, if you had cancer, I'd recommend surgery and chemotherapy... but since you don't LIKE the good advice, I'd suggest seeing the local voodoo shaman, and try sleeping on rocks each night.

I'm no fan of BARFcom, but it sounds like they tried to steer you in the direction of something that would;

a) work
    b) work EVERY time, or have a decent enough warranty to fix/replace it if it doesn't.
    c) accomplish the mission
    d) does NOT cost & arm & a leg!

How about a Schmidt & Bender short dot then? On sale through Amazon for only $2,699! They're backordered right now, they're so popular!

Makes that $500 Aimpoint a buttload cheaper, huh?

Go ahead and put a cheapass Barska/UTG/Leapers/Sightmark/NcSTAR hunk o' crap on your rifle then. When it fails to hold zero, and breaks upon the first few rounds of recoil, not ONLY will you be out the $79.95 you gave to Cheaper than Dirt for it, you'll be that much FURTHER behind in saving towards an Aimpoint, EOTech, or Trijicon.

Work on using your irons - that's the best & cheapest advice you can get. Pinch pennies 'til they scream if need be, to save for a QUALITY optic. Firearms are not a hobby for the cheapskate - if you actually want to HIT your target, quality glass costs money. Period.

When all the advice sounds the same, there's probably a reason...
    I'm looking at Primary Arms optics. These have received tons of good reviews from ar15.com and other sites. It's not some cheap walmart crap.

Since AR15.com doesn't want me to post questions on their forum, I guess my only choice is to ask here.

I'm looking for budget optics - leaning towards Primary Arms optics atm. I just built my first AR-15 (1st owned AR-15 also).

I'm kind of torn between a red dot sight with a magnifier and a 1-4x scope. I've never used either type of scope before, just regular old hunting rifle type scopes and a cheap reflex sight. What kinds of advantages and disadvantages can you give me between the 2?

Max range will most likely be 100 yards and just range plinking unless PA changes it's hunting laws. My AR has a 16" mid-length barrel, 12" quad rail, Magpul MBUS front and rear sights. I also wear glasses if that makes any kind of difference.

Oh, and don't even bother saying Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech, or any of those expensive brands. That was the 1st and only response I got on ar15.com before the thread was closed. If I was looking for one of those, I wouldn't be posting this thread.
    sorry i thought that's what you were implying, what is the best budget (cheap) plinker optic.

carry on
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Northampton County)

On an AR I don't think you can go wrong with an Eotech. I have one and am pleased with it. On another AR I have a leopould VX-II. One to four power for my old eyes and still a nice compact package. Under $300.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/custom-l...x-reticle.html

(Perry County)

I'm not saying I wouldn't like an Eotech or Aimpoint. I'm saying I can't justify spending that much for a range plinker.

Hell, once the newness of the AR wears off, I'll probably only take it to the range a few times a year.

so you want me to spend a sh*tload of money on something that will most likely rarely get used?

if you guys want to sell me an Aimpoint or Eotech for $200 or less I'll buy it, or if you want to give me money to buy one, I'll give you my paypal account name and you can send as much as you like.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast